Scanners/code Readers/scan Tools

Hello Folks,

I'm in the market trying to obtain a scan tool. I'm looking for something that reads OBD II and OBD I diagnostics. I don't want just a simple reader or scanner; I'm looking for something that also has software that I can install on my laptop. I'd like to have a scan tool that hooks up to the port in my truck, or in my wife's vehicle, or in any vehicle, read codes (if any), perform diagnostics, etc., and have the scan tool connected to my laptop also via USB, hooked up with some type of scan tool software for analysis, etc.

I've found a couple that serve such features; however, I wanted to see what you guys thought and what your opinions were and what you recommend.

Any advice is greatly appreciated and will be taken into consideration, as long as it's genuine advice, not some "hey! this one's a cool code reader!" --- not what I'm looking for. Looking for serious input!

Thanks everyone!

Doing some research online, I came across a company called AutoXray. Seems to be a good company; they have several scan tools, and one tool intriqued me.

AutoXray's EZ-SCAN AX6000 OBD-I and OBD-II Scan Tool

It comes with a feature-rich scan tool, all included cables, diagnostics, live data, etc., and it also comes with software that can be installed on a computer that interfaces with the scan tool itself, including free internet updates.

Has anyone had any experience with this particular one, or AutoXray?

I purchased this one (http://www.obd-2.com) for ODB2 (96 and newer). It even reads the new network that came out the last couple of years. This is the only one that I found that displayed the value needed to set the base distributor position on 1998 Yukon 5.7l engine (many display timing advance, but you really need camshaft offset (or something like that)).

EFILive V1 or V2.

Is this an actual OBD I/II scan tool? I've read about it on the Blackbear website. I understand with the purchase of the EFILive software, it comes with software as well as cables for hooking up to the truck and the laptop. But no price.

I have the AutoXray code scout 2500. It's good but if I had it to do over I would go with the EFI Live. It's in your price range and even if it's a little more it would be worth it. I purchased my code scout to do a few things then I found out it wouldn't read BCM codes. I wish I had purchased EFI Live in the first place. Don't cut yourself short on ability.

After having seen the EFI Live in person, I would totally agree with Jenna. The diagnositcs pages are really something to see. It's on my list of purchases. For now I have a small, toolbox sized reader from Actron.

Archived