Help! Dash Lights Flickering On And Off And Gauges Going To Zero

So a few thousand miles ago my brake light and abs light would intermittely light up while driving. I figured I need new brake pads and it was warning me.. I have since put in brand new ceramic brake pads and the light will still pop every now and then. Now all my warning lights seem to flash nearly every other time I start my truck, it seems to be happening more consistantly..Also I noticed my all my gauges would go to zero then back to normal and repeat while driving. Very frustrating!

Also my speedometer tach is not working correctly all the time which happened before my dash lights started popping up.. (read its a common problem) :confused:

Heres a pic while driving

dashlights.jpg

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

thanks

sounds like the instrument cluster. i took my o4 model to dealer around a year ago and had changed out for free under the recall they had goin on. have you checked to see if yours falls under that yet?

I read that there was a recall, so I called GM customer care a coupe weeks ago and they mentioned my car did fall under that if I had less than 70k miles. Which frustrates me b/c I called the dealer in the spring and they said it was not covered and I had zero warranty after 36,000 miles :P

I keep calling my local dealerships and can't get a single service person on the phone after the operator transfers me! They say they will call me back and never do! Now my truck has 72k miles after driving all over including to SC and upstate NY from MD..

• 1 month later...
*update it is in fact my cluster, they are going to replace but the dealer is going to charge me a $100 co-pay since I am just over 70k..

any resolution to this? I have the exact same problem, and 61K miles, so looks like I will be calling customer care. is there a recall #, or bulliten #?

*update it is in fact my cluster, they are going to replace but the dealer is going to charge me a $100 co-pay since I am just over 70k..

any resolution to this? I have the exact same problem, and 61K miles, so looks like I will be calling customer care. is there a recall #, or bulliten #?

the customer care # if staffed by idiots. The person on the phone could not grasp the fact that I am a new owner and doesnt know what to tell me since I did not receive the notice in the mail. So now I have to go to the dealership and pay for the diognostic, and maybe I am covered. Again, 61K miles. bulliten or recall # anybody?

Thanks in advance

# 07187C: Special Coverage Adjustment - Instrument Panel Cluster Gauge Needle Function - (Mar 20, 2009)

Subject:

07187C -- SPECIAL COVERAGE ADJUSTMENT - INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER GAUGE NEEDLE FUNCTION

Models:

2003-2004 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT

2005 CADILLAC ESCALADE, ESCALADE ESV, ESCALADE EXT (U.S. ONLY)

2003-2004 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE

2005 CHEVROLET AVALANCHE, SILVERADO, SUBURBAN, TAHOE (U.S.ONLY)

2003-2004 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL

2005 GMC SIERRA, YUKON, YUKON XL (U.S. ONLY)

THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE CERTAIN 2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES IN THE U.S. ADDITIONALLY, FOR U.S. 2003-2005 MODEL YEAR VEHICLES, GM WILL PROVIDE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER (IPC) ONLY, AT NO CHARGE TO THE CUSTOMER FOR VERIFIED FAILURES BETWEEN 70,001 MILES (110,001 KM) AND 80,000 MILES (130,000 KM). ANY ADDITIONAL COSTS, INCLUDING LABOR TO REPLACE THE INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER, WILL BE THE RESPONSIBILITY OF THE CUSTOMER. DEALERS WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE RETURN OF THE CUSTOMER'S IPC BACK TO THE ELECTRONIC SERVICE CENTER. PLEASE DISCARD ALL COPIES OF BULLETIN 07187B, ISSUED SEPTEMBER 2008.

CUSTOMERS ARE BEING INSTRUCTED TO CONTACT THE DEALERSHIP TO ARRANGE AN APPOINTMENT IF THEY BELIEVE THEIR VEHICLE HAS THIS CONDITION. THE CUSTOMER IS BEING ASKED TO PROVIDE THE VIN SO THE IPC CAN BE ORDERED IN ADVANCE OF THE SCHEDULED APPOINTMENT. THIS WILL ELIMINATE THE NEED TO KEEP THE VEHICLE OVERNIGHT. DEALERS ARE TO OBTAIN THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WHEN SCHEDULING A SERVICE APPOINTMENT. THE VEHICLE MILEAGE WILL BE REQUIRED WHEN PLACING AN ORDER FOR THE IPC.

Condition

Some customers of all 2003-2004 model year and certain U.S. 2005 model year Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, and Escalade EXT; Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, and Tahoe; and GMC Sierra, Yukon, and Yukon XL vehicles have reported that one or more of the instrument panel (IP) cluster gauges stick, flutter, or become inoperative. This may cause inaccurate readings, including the speedometer and fuel gauge. Special Coverage Adjustment This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 7 years or 70,000 miles (110,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

Dealers are to replace the instrument panel cluster after the condition has been verified. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For verified failures between 70,001 miles (110,001 km) and 80,000 miles (130,000 km) on U.S. vehicles, dealers are to provide the customer with an instrument panel cluster (IPC) only. Any additional costs, including labor to replace the instrument panel cluster, will be the responsibility of the customer. Dealers are responsible for the return of the customer's IPC back to the Electronic Service Center.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, and March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to September 28, 2007 for 2003-2004 model year vehicles, or March 23, 2009 for 2005 model year vehicles, must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

thanks txab!

Just got back from the GMC dealership, ran some diagnostics, got the vin and millage off the truck, and the new part should be in tomorrow. They might even be able to fit me in to have it swapped out tomorrow afternoon. That would be awesome to say the least, next week I'm in Houston for work, the week after I drive 1900+ miles to my new house in Houston, from Sacramento CA. I just hope they can fix it before the trip, I dont want to drive all that distance with the gauges acting up and lights on and off

Archived