Rear Main Seal

Terp84Alum

Question

I have a 2000 Silverado 1500 4x4 with the extended cab and 5.3L motor. Apparently, the rear main seal went the day after I had my oil changed at the local garage. I usually do it myself but we were getting ready for vacation and I needed to get all our vehicles serviced.

So is this just a coincident or could a bad filter or something like that be causing my rear main seal to leak? Also, since everything is covered up, is diagnosing this merely a guess? In any event, I want to get this fixed. What should I expect to pay for this repair? Thanks

0 answers to this question

If you are convinced its not the rear main seal, it's probably the block off cover for the oil cooler lines. If it is, you need to apply gm sealer to the new one when you install it. Only other thing it can be besides that, is a lose oil filter, rear main seal, or rear main seal housing gasket.

Robert, you made the right move. I'm trying to find a new job where I don't have to fight for work or lose my ass doing warranty work.

as for the time to do the job ,if you have alldata or like that ,it will tell ya or go to a dealer ,ask for the senior advisor or serv manager to get the book and look it up together,it may be around 8-10 hrs for 4X4 ,don't quote me ,just a guess ,but clean it ,run it first like buddy said ,new filt first,baby steps ,good luck ,clean pcv to

Rob

The sure fire method to find where the oil is leaking from is to have the garage put dye in the crankcase then drive it for a couple days then go back and they will use a blacklight to see the dye. I had this done with my Jeep.

I crawled under and removed the round inspection cover. There is no way it's leaking from the rear main seal. I'm taking it to another shop next week.

On another note and a little off topic but do "GM Technicians" ever answer questions? I appreciate all the replies but what's the point of having a section "Ask the GM Technician" if they never answer them?

I work at a Buick dealer in Michigan. I've been trying to get into the D.O.T, road commision, and post office. Passed all my testing for the post office, just waiting on a call for an interview. They have been making some cuts there though, so I'm not holding my breath for that call. I've been in 2 dealerships in the past 16 years, very stressfull to say the least, you know what I mean. Years ago wasn't so bad, but its nuts now with the economy in the shitter.

Is the oil filter located in that same area?

If yes, I always make darn sure the new filter "mating surface" as well as the engine side is very clean before installing a new oil filter. I would think a little particle of crud could keep it from screwing all the way in and causing it to leak. And there is lots of crud in that area to get on the parts!

Also the wrong oil filter might not be matching up right and leaking. And I suppose the filter itself could have a leak?

Since oil filters are cheap, I would get a new one and be sure to install it right. Use a mirror and flashlight to examine where the oil filter goes after you remove it. Clean it with a paper towel.

And then there is the trick of dipping your finger in new oil and running that around the seal on the new filter. (A CLEAN finger that is.)

So I'm saying if you want it done right, might want to do it yourself. I suppose you could also take it back to the oil change place...

I crawled under and removed the round inspection cover. There is no way it's leaking from the rear main seal. I'm taking it to another shop next week.

On another note and a little off topic but do "GM Technicians" ever answer questions? I appreciate all the replies but what's the point of having a section "Ask the GM Technician" if they never answer them?

There used to be a tech here who answered all questions. He has been gone for a long time now. At least people who have had the same problem can give you some advice.

Just above the oil filter is fitting or block for th engine oil cooler if your vehicle is or is not equipped. Mine started to leak at the gasket and it would blow around back onto the bellhousing and looked just like a rear main leak till I pull th einspection cover and it was dry. Just an option.

well Matt ,thank you ,I have zero stress now and as I served in the military from 79 -94 ,last yr i got back in as a civy tech and should change my name to govtech4 lol,so we moved up the province abit and a yr has gone by already ,we got a new contract and 2 small raises to catch up,so its bearable now ,the gov pays low but people forget about a pension at the end.

just get out of that flat rape system,itsa cancer ,it turns a nice guy into a selfish mean person.

Im glad I did my gm time but I was always mad,I recently was aloud to reseal a torque converter housing oil leak on our 03 silvy trucks ,on a drive on hoist ,it went alright,

where do you work now Matt?

My 'Burb developed a rear main seal leak for sure. This is an expensive fix. The gasket is btw $30-$50, but they have to drop the tranny to get to it. I belive you stated it's a 4x4, so that adds to it. Labor is $1000+ as it takes them a day to do the whole process.

I definately know as I had to pay about $1200 for the fix. THey actually found 4 different seeping type leaks... just enough to be annoying spots on the driveway. The pan had a little seepage, rear main seal, some little cover on the side (where an aftermarket oil cooler would go), and another place I can't recall at the moment. Anyway, $1200 bucks later, not a single drop anywhere!

Thanks. I did take it back and they are the ones that told me the oil was coming from the rear main seal. I'm just wondering if there is a better way to confirm and what I can expect to pay to have it repaired.

Archived