Towing Capacity Of My 98 Sierra 2500

Hi,

I am trying to find out what the maximum towing capacity of my 98 GMC 4X4 Sierra 2500 SLT, Ext. Cab, short box, Z82 Trailering Edition. It has the 5.7L, 4sp Auto with 3.73 gears. The GVWR is 8600lbs as shown on the door post and I have a vin break down of the numbers. It says in the owners manual that this vehicle is only able to tow a maximum of 6000lbs but I find that hard to believe being that it is a 3/4 ton truck with the factory trany cooler, heavy duty springs, shocks and hitch. I hope someone can help me figure this out as I want to purchase a travel trailer with a dry weight of roughly 6000lbs, loaded up to a total of roughly 7200lbs.

VIN: 1GTGK29RXWE

Thanks,

Brent

I don't know exact numbers, but I'm pretty sure my 98 1500 Z71 had a higher towing capacity. I wouldn't worry about that little bit of weight on a 2500.

Welcome to the site!

BTW, I've seen farmers tow 20,000+ lbs with a truck like that.

I have a similar truck. Mines a 97, ex cab LONG bed. I have 4.10 gears though. You're definitely going to feel 7200, but I think you'll be OK. I have actually hauled 12K on the road a couple of times. No fun. My truck is good up to 9000 or so, after that I really feel it.

The other piece of the puzzle is where you live. On flat ground you will probably be able to make it but climbing hills or mountains might prove tedious.

Lots of people say "no problem, I pull that with mine" only to find they only pull on flat ground and you live in California where you go no where without going over a mountain pass.

well, get used to it... your 4WD truck is rated for maximum tow at 6000 lbs with the 3.73 gears, and 7500 lbs with 4.10 gears..... and that is if you have the trailer towing package.... and a 2WD truck would be rated a bit (500 lbs) higher each (for this trailer tow rating the 1/2Tons are pretty much the same as the 3/4Tons)

this rating is nothing direct to do with the suspension or GVW, it has to do with the capacity of the engine, transmission, cooling system, and brakes to be able to motor safely down the highway (... and stop safely)

it also has nothing to do with how much some people got away with when rediculously overloaded (..and unsafe)

that being said... you should be OK with the trailer (dry=6000;gross=7200) you described... I tow a 6500/7900 (dry/gross) with my '97 C2500 (LD) 5.7L 3.73 gears... (GVW of my truck is only 7200)... the only time I know the trailer is there is if I am driving in a heavy wind.

there are rules (vary around between states and provinces) to be legal for towing a trailer that size:

- basically can't overload either of your truck axles (not a problem with this trailer on your GVW 8600 truck;

- a weight distribution hitch is a good idea (but again not critical with this trailer for your GVW 8600 truck)

- need electric trailer brakes;

- cannot exceed Gross Combined Vehicle Weight Rating (8600 + 6000).. so your truck, trailer, full gas tank, people and luggage cannot exceed 14,600 lbs....

so if your truck is about 5600 lbs, trailer 7200 lbs, gas 200 lbs, then that leaves another 1600 lbs for people and luggage in your truck..

.. these road rules vary so you should check with your state

.. another tip.... NEVER have your automatic transmission in Overdrive when pulling the trailer... keep it in "3"

(I learned the hard way.... $2800 total rebuild after burning up the 4L60E transmission on the highway first trip this year... you'll lose your 3-4 clutch and then it will overheat and rip the rest of the insides of the transmission out...)

Well Rod, I was right there with till the end. To say NEVER tow in OD is foolish. Towing in OD is fine, under the right situations. If your truck has the power to run in OD with the torque converter locked up, then you're fine. If your the tranny is constantly "hunting" between 3rd and 4th, or frequently locking and unlocking the TC, then shift down into 3rd.

After getting a new tranny in my dad's 1500 Z71 5.3, the tech also said to never use OD when towing. Not sure how much truth there is to that. I use OD as long as it's not hunting for gears most of the time.

I agree that you always have to use common sense..... and when towing, I used to use 3rd only in the city, when going up or down a hill, and on gravel roads, etc... and then flip it up to OD when on flat highway doing 60 mph... sounds like common sense... but my cheque book for truck maintenance says I NEVER want to lay down up to $3grand for a 4L60E rebuild ever again... so, I as long as I own and drive this truck I will tow the travel trailer in "3rd" like a number of mechanics I trust have told me....

.. when I get a newer truck that has a transmission with tow/haul mode, I may reconsider this... hopefully this one lasts a few more years and then I will get a new truck with a 6.2L/6L90 6-sp trans :lol:

Archived