#1 haulincats

haulincats

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 12:11 PM

I have a 1996 GMC 1500 Sierra 4 x 4 Pickup with the
push button 4 wheel drive.
When I push the 4 wheel high or 4 wheel
low button the light on the switch just blinks.
It is not going into 4 wheel drive.
Where do I start looking for the problem?
I don't want to just start swapping parts.
Thanks,
Vance

#2 govtech4

govtech4

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,628 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 31 August 2009 - 06:45 PM

glad your not gonna throw parts at it,get it scanned by a real scanner ,they live at the dealer,get a diag,pay for it and get the part thru a jobber parts store if available or get it fixed while its on the hoist ,your choice.
How do you write a signature on a laptop screen ??

lmao.

I'm here all week ,try the Veal !!

Rob

#3 2COR517

2COR517

Enthusiast

• 376 posts

Posted 31 August 2009 - 08:20 PM

It is MOST likely the front axle actuator. And I presume you can hear the case going into 4Lo. But check your 4wd fuses first.

Here's how you can test the actuator. Leave the ignition on. With the case in 2Hi, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft. With the case in 4Hi, you should not be able to spin the front driveshaft. Leave the case in 4Hi and jack up the right front tire. You will probably be able to spin the right tire. Now the final test. Turn off the key. Pull the front axle actuator. Its on the pass side of the pumpkin, on the extension housing. Back side, near the top. Has two wires connected to it, and a big hex. Disconnect the wires, and pull the actuator. Hook the wires back up. You can measure the length from the flange to the inside end of the actuator, or just eyeball it. Turn the key on. The actuator is probably not going to move. Test for voltage at the wires. If you have voltage, and the actuator isn't working, it's toast.
Sharing my experience & opinions. Some I learned the hard way, some I learned from those I trust very much.

#4 haulincats

haulincats

Enthusiast

• 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 09:22 AM

It is MOST likely the front axle actuator. And I presume you can hear the case going into 4Lo. But check your 4wd fuses first.

Here's how you can test the actuator. Leave the ignition on. With the case in 2Hi, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft. With the case in 4Hi, you should not be able to spin the front driveshaft. Leave the case in 4Hi and jack up the right front tire. You will probably be able to spin the right tire. Now the final test. Turn off the key. Pull the front axle actuator. Its on the pass side of the pumpkin, on the extension housing. Back side, near the top. Has two wires connected to it, and a big hex. Disconnect the wires, and pull the actuator. Hook the wires back up. You can measure the length from the flange to the inside end of the actuator, or just eyeball it. Turn the key on. The actuator is probably not going to move. Test for voltage at the wires. If you have voltage, and the actuator isn't working, it's toast.

Yes I can hear the case going into 4 lo so does that mean the transfer case motor is
working?
Thanks,
Vance

#5 Alljackedup408

Alljackedup408

Short Bus Rider

• 626 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 12:58 PM

not familiar with that year .. but i know the 99 and up style.. its almost ALWAYS.. the switch on the dash.
Posted Image

"Yah cant fix stupid"

#6 jersey

jersey

Enthusiast

• 54 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 01:06 PM

Thank You!

#7 2COR517

2COR517

Enthusiast

• 376 posts

Posted 01 September 2009 - 10:09 PM

Yes I can hear the case going into 4 lo so does that mean the transfer case motor is
working?
Thanks,
Vance

Yes sir. Do the test I outlined and you should be able to confirm it in less that 30 minutes.
Sharing my experience & opinions. Some I learned the hard way, some I learned from those I trust very much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users