Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

haulincats

Blinking 4 Wheel Drive Light?

Question

I have a 1996 GMC 1500 Sierra 4 x 4 Pickup with the

push button 4 wheel drive.

When I push the 4 wheel high or 4 wheel

low button the light on the switch just blinks.

It is not going into 4 wheel drive.

Where do I start looking for the problem?

I don't want to just start swapping parts.

Thanks,

Vance

0 answers to this question

glad your not gonna throw parts at it,get it scanned by a real scanner ,they live at the dealer,get a diag,pay for it and get the part thru a jobber parts store if available or get it fixed while its on the hoist ,your choice.

It is MOST likely the front axle actuator. And I presume you can hear the case going into 4Lo. But check your 4wd fuses first.

Here's how you can test the actuator. Leave the ignition on. With the case in 2Hi, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft. With the case in 4Hi, you should not be able to spin the front driveshaft. Leave the case in 4Hi and jack up the right front tire. You will probably be able to spin the right tire. Now the final test. Turn off the key. Pull the front axle actuator. Its on the pass side of the pumpkin, on the extension housing. Back side, near the top. Has two wires connected to it, and a big hex. Disconnect the wires, and pull the actuator. Hook the wires back up. You can measure the length from the flange to the inside end of the actuator, or just eyeball it. Turn the key on. The actuator is probably not going to move. Test for voltage at the wires. If you have voltage, and the actuator isn't working, it's toast.

It is MOST likely the front axle actuator. And I presume you can hear the case going into 4Lo. But check your 4wd fuses first.

Here's how you can test the actuator. Leave the ignition on. With the case in 2Hi, you should be able to spin the front driveshaft. With the case in 4Hi, you should not be able to spin the front driveshaft. Leave the case in 4Hi and jack up the right front tire. You will probably be able to spin the right tire. Now the final test. Turn off the key. Pull the front axle actuator. Its on the pass side of the pumpkin, on the extension housing. Back side, near the top. Has two wires connected to it, and a big hex. Disconnect the wires, and pull the actuator. Hook the wires back up. You can measure the length from the flange to the inside end of the actuator, or just eyeball it. Turn the key on. The actuator is probably not going to move. Test for voltage at the wires. If you have voltage, and the actuator isn't working, it's toast.

Yes I can hear the case going into 4 lo so does that mean the transfer case motor is

working?

Thanks,

Vance

Yes I can hear the case going into 4 lo so does that mean the transfer case motor is

working?

Thanks,

Vance

Yes sir. Do the test I outlined and you should be able to confirm it in less that 30 minutes.

• Popular Now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.