Oil Cooler Block Off Plate Leak. Gmt900

Two oil changes ago I noticed some oil on the bottom of my oil pan. I figured it was some oil that ran down the pan when I drained my oil. I cleaned it up and didn't worry about it anymore. On my last oil change the oil was back and there was more this time. I followed it up to the oil cooler block off plate and couldn't tell for sure where it was coming from. I originally thought it was the oil pan gasket. After sticking my camera up and above the oil cooler plate where I couldn't see I found this...

DSC00779.jpg

DSC00782.jpg

DSC00793.jpg

After finding this I read around and heard about the rack and pinion leak and noticed this...

DSC00775.jpg

DSC00777.jpg

I believe this is just the installation lube and there's no fluid driping or coming from the tie rod boot so I'm not too worried about that. I cleaned the area and will keep an eye on it.

Has anybody else had leaks similar to these?

The oil cooler block off plate was a common issue on the GMT800 trucks.

The steering rack leak is a common issue on the GMT900 trucks,Theres a bulletin out on it.

There is a bulletin out for the block off plate too. When the gasket is replaced, the bulletin instructs the technician to apply gm sealant to the sealing area. We replaced 3 of them on a truck before the bulletin came out. the last time, we applied the sealer and had no issues after that.

There is a bulletin out for the block off plate too. When the gasket is replaced, the bulletin instructs the technician to apply gm sealant to the sealing area. We replaced 3 of them on a truck before the bulletin came out. the last time, we applied the sealer and had no issues after that.

Not to hijack the thread but...

My 2000 is leaking at the block off plate and it's starting to make a mess on the garage floor. Would you happen to know the part number for the gasket? I need to pick one up. Do you think RTV Black would be ok for the sealant?

Not to hijack the thread but...

My 2000 is leaking at the block off plate and it's starting to make a mess on the garage floor. Would you happen to know the part number for the gasket? I need to pick one up. Do you think RTV Black would be ok for the sealant?

I have had my block off plate "fixed" three times and the steering box changed once and "fixed" twice.

Today they put in my Third...yes #3...Radio!

Boy would I love a new truck without all of the damn problems I have had... :dunno: The list is long, but I hope it ends this time...please :dunno:

:jester:

Rich, you happen to know the part number for the GMT800 block off?

Anyone know if it will work on a GMT900?

New number for part number 12551595?

Same number...12611384

Same number...12611384

Isn't that the gasket?

Oh yeah,sorry,I thought you wanted the gasket,The number for the block-off plate itself is 12577903

Do you have the TSB number for the block off plate leaking?

Thanks,

Steve

Same number...12611384

Isn't that the gasket?

Oh yeah,sorry,I thought you wanted the gasket,The number for the block-off plate itself is 12577903

Awesome, thanks.

Do you have the TSB number for the block off plate leaking?

Thanks,

Steve

I tried to find it in GM-GlobalConnect myself and had no luck :jester:

Shoot, sorry guys, this is for the o-ring portion of the oil cooler lines at the block on the Duramax. I know I've seen it listed for the block off plate gasket too, just cannot find it. It might have been a PI also, no treal sure.

#02-06-01-023F: Oil Leak at Oil Cooler to Engine Block Mating Surface (Replace O-rings, Apply Sealant) - (Mar 31, 2008)

Subject: Oil Leak at Oil Cooler to Engine Block Mating Surface (Replace O-rings, Apply Sealant)

Models: 2001-2005 Chevrolet Silverado 2500/3500 Series Pickup Models

2003-2005 Chevrolet Kodiak C4500/5500 Series Models

2001-2005 GMC Sierra 2500/3500 Series Pickup Models

2003-2005 GMC TopKick C4500/5500 Series Models

with 6.6L Duramax™ Diesel Engine (VINs 1, 2 -- RPOs LB7, LLY)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This bulletin is being revised to change the part number and update the Warranty information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-01-023E (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition

Some customers may comment on oil leaks at the engine oil cooler.

Cause

Minor imperfections in the engine block machined surfaces at the oil cooler interface may allow oil seepage past the oil cooler O-rings.

Correction

Inspect for other oil leaks that may be perceived as an oil cooler leak. An oil leak from one of the main bearing cap side bolts may appear to be coming from the oil cooler.

If the oil cooler is leaking oil, remove the oil cooler from the engine. Use care to remove only the five bolts that hold the oil cooler to the engine block. Refer to the Engine Mechanical sub-section in the appropriate Service Manual.

Archived