8.1 Crankshaft Position Sensor

tjg79

Scan code indicates a problem with the crankshaft position sensor. I've had two incidents of cranks but fails to start after a short trip, but started ok several hours later.

Is the crankshaft position sensor reasonably easy to replace? Dealer wants $400.00 for the task. I can get the sensor for $62 (shipping included) from GMPartsDirect.

I don't have my GM shop manuals with me at the moment, so any advice from someone who's been there, done that would be appreciated.

Regards to all.

very easy to replace 1 bolt [10mm head size [ and 1 plug is located on the back side of engine betwen the bell hosing and valve cover .. i change mine from underneath truck ..... bolt hole and plug are kinda in the way of each other but the new one has been change and goes in easyer ..may take a little force to remove ...

Thanks guys. It appears to be a no brainer decision between DIY or Dealer.

Does anyone know if a Genisys EVO is capable of performing the Crankshaft Position Variation Learn Procedure after replacing the crank sensor?

I've been watching eBay for a resonably priced Tech II, but I've had no luck yet.

Other than flash reload/upgrade modual memory, what can the Tech II do that the Genisys EVO can't?

Thanks again.

• 3 years later...

I would check around..when i asked my local gmc dealer it was $247 parts&labor..

I guy i know that has a cpl 8.1 trucks says he had one went around 75,000 miles, and when he changed it the truck felt 100% better.

Im pretty sure the 01-03/4 8.1,s were easier to do the 04.5/07

Archived