Excessive Brake Pedal Travel

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mkory

mkory

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:26 PM

After a close call having my brake pedal go to the floor a few weeks ago when one of the metal lines burst, I had all of the brake lines and hoses replaced, as well as the two rear calipers. All pads and rotors are new as well. Since I've gotten the truck back from the shop, it seems like there is significantly more brake pedal travel than before. The pedal travels what feels like a few inches before there is any resistance/stopping power at all. Once past that dead band, the brakes feel like they used to. The only "old" parts on the truck now are the front calipers, abs module, and master cylinder. Any ideas why this has happened?

#2 brims

brims

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,605 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:43 PM

Possible air in the system?
Posted Image
2008 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Extended Cab Standard Box, 2LT, 4x2, 5.3L FlexFuel, 3.73 G80, Graystone Metallic, General Grabber HTS 245/70R17
Mods: Line-X over the rail, WeatherGuard Crossbox, Optima Red Top, MagHytec Differential Cover, Rough Country 2" leveling kit, Corvette Servo, AEM Brute Force Intake, Black Bear tune, Hayden 679 aux trans cooler, Hawk pads, Bilstein shocks, Dual Aeroforce Interceptors, Extang Snapless Full Tilt Tool Box Tonneau
Future mods: 2 low/6 high
Possible mods: rear sway bar, blacked out front and rear bumpers

#3 mkory

mkory

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 06 September 2009 - 11:50 PM

I doubt it. I watched them bleed it. The shop is very reputable, and they used a machine that pressurized the master cylinder, as well as one that cycled the ABS pump.

#4 rogersbowtie

rogersbowtie

Enthusiast

• 539 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 07:11 AM

I doubt it. I watched them bleed it. The shop is very reputable, and they used a machine that pressurized the master cylinder, as well as one that cycled the ABS pump.

Probably yes...bleed the system again. The next possibility is the master cylinder is beginning to fail.

Edited by rogersbowtie, 07 September 2009 - 07:12 AM.

#5 ironhead3fan

ironhead3fan

Enthusiast

• 132 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Drives:2009 GMC Sierra 1500

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:40 AM

That very same thing happened on my 1990 Silverado. Never was able to get the entire pedal back, even after replacing the master cylinder, and power bleeding the brakes.

#6 spurshot

spurshot

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,497 posts

Posted 07 September 2009 - 09:49 AM

It's simple enough to check for air in the lines: Pump the pedal (with the engine running for the power assist) and see if the pedal comes up. If it does, it's air. If not, I'd a rear drum equipped (you have rear disks... right?) for adjustment, then I'd suspect the master cylinder.

Edited by spurshot, 07 September 2009 - 09:50 AM.

DSC_7821_zpsacf5baa7.jpg

2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain 5.3 Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 305/60-18 Cooper ST Maxx, 1 1/2" level, 5000k Morimoto HID, 4 Baja Designs SII LED lights, AMP Power Steps, Bushwacker flares, Foglights w/High Beams mod, Wilwood 14.25" 6 piston front brakes, Snugtop Hi-Liner Sport. 

2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Crew 4x4 LTZ, NHT

#7 mkory

mkory

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hmm... the pedal does not come up when I pump it. So next look into the master?

Wouldn't I be losing fluid if it were the master?

#8 spurshot

spurshot

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,497 posts

Posted 08 September 2009 - 11:36 AM

Hmm... the pedal does not come up when I pump it. So next look into the master?

Wouldn't I be losing fluid if it were the master?

Not necessarily.

DSC_7821_zpsacf5baa7.jpg

2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain 5.3 Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 305/60-18 Cooper ST Maxx, 1 1/2" level, 5000k Morimoto HID, 4 Baja Designs SII LED lights, AMP Power Steps, Bushwacker flares, Foglights w/High Beams mod, Wilwood 14.25" 6 piston front brakes, Snugtop Hi-Liner Sport. 

2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Crew 4x4 LTZ, NHT

#9 mkory

mkory

Enthusiast

• 25 posts

Posted 15 September 2009 - 01:01 PM

The problem was actually in the front bearings. A few days later I noticed noise from the front bearings. The left front wheel had so much play that it must have been pushing the pads far enough from the rotor to increase the pedal travel. How about that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users