Excessive Brake Pedal Travel

mkory

After a close call having my brake pedal go to the floor a few weeks ago when one of the metal lines burst, I had all of the brake lines and hoses replaced, as well as the two rear calipers. All pads and rotors are new as well. Since I've gotten the truck back from the shop, it seems like there is significantly more brake pedal travel than before. The pedal travels what feels like a few inches before there is any resistance/stopping power at all. Once past that dead band, the brakes feel like they used to. The only "old" parts on the truck now are the front calipers, abs module, and master cylinder. Any ideas why this has happened?

Possible air in the system?

I doubt it. I watched them bleed it. The shop is very reputable, and they used a machine that pressurized the master cylinder, as well as one that cycled the ABS pump.

Probably yes...bleed the system again. The next possibility is the master cylinder is beginning to fail.

It's simple enough to check for air in the lines: Pump the pedal (with the engine running for the power assist) and see if the pedal comes up. If it does, it's air. If not, I'd a rear drum equipped (you have rear disks... right?) for adjustment, then I'd suspect the master cylinder.

The problem was actually in the front bearings. A few days later I noticed noise from the front bearings. The left front wheel had so much play that it must have been pushing the pads far enough from the rotor to increase the pedal travel. How about that.

Archived