Heater Hose Quick Disconnect

I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3L and after studying the heater core quick disconnects for the heater hoses, I found that the black disconnect has a plastic collar over the area where the hose itself enters the disconnect fitting. This black plastic collar (hole on either side and split) simply spins around on the hose and doesn't seem to do anything. Is this thing supposed to be a clamp of some sort? The other side of the core (white side) has a good old fashioned clamp in this area.

My question is this....how does the hose stay attached to the factory plastic disconnect? Is it fused on from the inside? Trying to figure out as much as I can about this set up before I remove the hoses for routine maintenance.

By the way....is 8 years old and 60,000 miles too soon for replacement?

Are you sure the the plastic ring twists, or the hose and connector twisting on the HC pipe. You can remove the clamp and cut the hose on the white one. You can remove the other one with a tool available from the parts store.

I'd be prepared to replace one or both with new ones. Once removed they don't always fit and seal so good again.

gatesconnectors.jpg

gatesconnectors.jpg

gatesconnectors.jpg

gatesconnectors.jpg

Are you sure the the plastic ring twists, or the hose and connector twisting on the HC pipe. You can remove the clamp and cut the hose on the white one. You can remove the other one with a tool available from the parts store.

I'd be prepared to replace one or both with new ones. Once removed they don't always fit and seal so good again.

post-54081-1252342955_thumb.jpg

No, the plastic collar just spins on the hose freely and the hose stays stationary...I can just slide it down the hose....that's what's throwing me...and worrying me that the hose isn't ready to blow off the connector.

post-54081-1252342955_thumb.jpg

No, the plastic collar just spins on the hose freely and the hose stays stationary...I can just slide it down the hose....that's what's throwing me...and worrying me that the hose isn't ready to blow off the connector.

As a follow up...I found from a neighbor's 2001 that this is indeed a clamp. That round black plastic thing is a hose clamp and I was just real lucky the hose didn't blow off the fitting..

There's a hose clamp on there now and all is well.

I have a 2001 Silverado, 5.3L and after studying the heater core quick disconnects for the heater hoses, I found that the black disconnect has a plastic collar over the area where the hose itself enters the disconnect fitting. This black plastic collar (hole on either side and split) simply spins around on the hose and doesn't seem to do anything. Is this thing supposed to be a clamp of some sort? The other side of the core (white side) has a good old fashioned clamp in this area.

My question is this....how does the hose stay attached to the factory plastic disconnect? Is it fused on from the inside? Trying to figure out as much as I can about this set up before I remove the hoses for routine maintenance.

By the way....is 8 years old and 60,000 miles too soon for replacement?

Mine broke when I barely pulled on it to remove it. I then had to cut off the rest of the connector and slid the hose over the aluminum tube/pipe from the heater core. I would suggest doing away with that assembly line connector they used as it does deteriorate and break off like mine did. Once you do get the plastic parts off the tube and out of the inside the hose, the rest is pretty easy, specially with some lube on the hose first to ease sliding it back on the tube from the heater core.

:rollin:

Archived