Recommended Oil For 6.0 W/over 100k

wog2006

I want to put the best oil (and filter) in my 2500, but what's the best for light duty daily drivers that only do occasional heavy hauling? I work it everyday, but in construction, I mostly use it for its long bed, no goosenecks or 5th wheels.

Should I do an engine flush too? If so, what brand/method?

AMSOIL Signature Series! The Best hands down! Do some research on the oil and by all means visit thier site. My son is sponsored by them and his quad ( which is highly modded internally) has never had an oil related engine failure. I switched to it in all my vehicles and have had no worries since.

Any good quality motor oil today has all the benefits and good "stuff" that you would need for long engine life. The dyno oils are probably not quite as good as the synthetics, but you typically get what you pay for.

I have been using Pennzoil Platinum synthetic for many years with absolutely no issues....a couple of cars went over 200K miles, and the engines were excellent (even though the rest of the cars went to hell..ha).

I always use a GM AC Delco oil filter....one of the best.

I shy away from engine flushes, and have my own method when I buy a used car...I change the oil and filter when I first get the vehicle, drive it about 500-600 miles and change the oild and filter again, then once more around 1000 miles.....just to get the old junk out of it....

I would stay with the 5w30 as recommended by the GM engineers....they are smarter than I am.

I have changed to wynthetic in cars with as many as 130k+ miles without a problem....used to be that synthetic would cause leaks in higher mileage engines, but the manufacturers have worked most of that out with new additives....if you have it leak already, it could get a little worse with synthetic....

High mileage oil is ok, I guess, but I am afraid to used it because there is something in it that keeps it from being energy conserving like other oils....

I want to put the best oil (and filter) in my 2500, but what's the best for light duty daily drivers that only do occasional heavy hauling? I work it everyday, but in construction, I mostly use it for its long bed, no goosenecks or 5th wheels.

Should I do an engine flush too? If so, what brand/method?

I have used Mobil 1 since new 2001 2500 8.1 HD 4 whl drive crew cab. 144,000 plus miles and no problem whatsoever

I always use a GM AC Delco oil filter....one of the best.

I shy away from engine flushes, and have my own method when I buy a used car...I change the oil and filter when I first get the vehicle, drive it about 500-600 miles and change the oild and filter again, then once more around 1000 miles.....just to get the old junk out of it....

Same here on both counts!!

Check on or ask people about RotellaT, i started using it years ago, an older guy i know work in a hd truck and large equipment garage, and once he switched to rotella. repairs and troubles are down to O. he has 546,000 on his daily driver.I use synthetic rotella

... use any good brand of synthetic oil using the oil grade/weight as recommended in your users manual (or on your oil filler cap) .. most gas engines these days run great on 5W30.... change the synthetic oil and filter at 6000 mi or 10,000 km.... AC Delco are good filters (can't go wrong there), but if you are changing filters with every oil change (like you should) then any good brand filter out there will do the job....

... if you have bought or inherited a used vehicle and don't know the oil change history then change oil and filter right away with any cheap oil, and then after 600 mile (1000 km) change oil and filter again with the good stuff. Don't worry about switching from regular oil to synthetic, in small dilution quantities it mixes just fine....

... oil weight variations from that were my Impala 3800 Series II engine which GM recommended 10W30.

... and I had an old Toyota at one time that spewed blue smoke on startup until I started using a 0W30 semi-synthetic blend (all year long) .... the oil seemed to seal up the cracked valve guide seals in the overhead cam.

• 5 years later...

How many miles do you have to run the factory oil {For break in} till I can run Amsoil 5W30? My truck is being built now {GMC 6.0 2500 HD}

Sierra Boy

Just to add another answer to the thread, I use 15W40 in my truck. With a leaking rear main, the thicker oil doesn't leak out as fast. Yes, I know, I need to just fix the seal. I'm getting closer to 300,000 miles, and have no issues so far.

• 2 months later...

How many miles do you have to run the factory oil {For break in} till I can run Amsoil 5W30? My truck is being built now {GMC 6.0 2500 HD}

Sierra Boy

Go to the synthetic right at the first oil change. There is no real "break in" on engines nowadays as there was in days gone by. there are many engines that come right out of the factory with full synthetic. Dexos1 GM approved oil are all synthetic blends or full synthetics now. Get the idea that it wouldn't be an issue to go synthetic right away?

I want to run Synthetic right away after the two free oil changes are done... have only 800 miles on it since December 12th and will be a bit before the oil is due. My

question I guess would be is about Amsoil being approved for use in my 2500 HD due to the Dexos1

Sierra Boy

Well, that will generate a thousand arguments for and against. The dexos1 spec is a good one. It primarily centers around detergents to keep the internals clean, and additive to keep oxidation low, as there is a lot of churning of the oil going on, especially engines with the AFM gig going on.

Now, all that being said. Just about any full synthetic meets the dexos1 spec, even if it is not on the "approved" list. Amsoil, Schaeffer, whatever. Now it comes down to your ability to deal with warranty concerns. I am a commercial fleet type of oil user. I have run hundreds of used oil samples. I can tell you this.... if you are using any of the top synthetic brands, no dealer or OEM is going to be able to determine if the oil is not compliant with the dexos1 spec, even if they send the oil sample in for analysis. And given the nature of legal actions, Federal trade laws, etc, you can be sure that if an oil claims to meet the spec, even though not on the "approved" list, it most probably does meet the spec.

If you have an enlarged paranoia gland, then go with one of the synthetic on the approved list. If you are not prone to losing sleep over details, then go ahead and use a quality synthetic of your choice. I have used a Schaeffer 9003D 5w30 full synthetic in my 2013 5.3L, and will in my new 2015 2500 6.0L. I have run oil samples on the oil when I changed it, and it has done a stellar job on the engine. And it is not on the approved list, yet claim to meet the spec. And Schaeffer has been making oils and lubes longer than anyone in the U.S, since 1839, so I am confident that if they say it meets the spec, it does. One does not normally find Schaeffer on a shelf somewhere, mostly because they cater more to the commercial user.

You are targeting using Amsoil. It is a great choice and I would use it with confidence. It exceeds the dexos1 spec comfortably. Especially the Signature 5w30 and the XL 5w30 they have.

Archived