My Fogs Work With The Hi Beams! Do Yours!

All right everyone. I got it done. I used 1n4005 diode from radio shack soldered some extra wire onto the diode to make it long enough. From the pictures below you can see how it was done. I went from the 85 pin on the headlamp relay to the 85 pin on the fog relay. Now anytime the headlights are on the fogs automatically are on. I dont have to push the button to turn them on anymore.

HPIM0668.jpg

HPIM0672.jpg

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
does the dash indicator for the fogs still light up?

what happens when you push the button with this set-up?

The dash indicator does not light up.

The button is now only useful to turn the dash indicator light on. actually the button useful to turn the fogs on without turning your headlights on.

What's the point of having your "fog" lights on all the time, and HIDs for that matter, when you do most of your driving in the city.

The fogs are only on at night, with the headlights. They do not come on with the DRL's.

My fogs go on with my lows and my highs :thumbs:

0106071714a.jpg

Got a kit off of mrtaillight.com It has all the pre wired / soldered relays , seperate power wire to batt so you are not putting more draw on your current....

IMO the best way to go..

EDIT- and i only use this on dark backroads, with no one coming towards me.... unless they have there bright on, then its game

All right everyone. I got it done. I used 1n4005 diode from radio shack soldered some extra wire onto the diode to make it long enough. From the pictures below you can see how it was done. I went from the 85 pin on the headlamp relay to the 85 pin on the fog relay. Now anytime the headlights are on the fogs automatically are on. I dont have to push the button to turn them on anymore.

HPIM0668.jpg

What type(solid or stranded?) and guage (14/16/18?) of extra copper wire did you use to solder onto the diode? How did you connect it to the respective 85 pins of the relays? Did you just wrap the loose ends of the wire around the pins or carefully solder the wire somehow to the pins as well? Lastly how did you choose the 1n4005 diode - I am not questioning that it is right more just curious so I can understand? I would like the mod as well but don't want it to be done half way on my part if you can clarify.

Also just to clarify the fog lights are on with this mod for low beam and/or high beam headlight use only. It will not come on with DRL or parking lights unless I manually use the button.

What type(solid or stranded?) and guage (14/16/18?) of extra copper wire did you use to solder onto the diode? How did you connect it to the respective 85 pins of the relays? Did you just wrap the loose ends of the wire around the pins or carefully solder the wire somehow to the pins as well? Lastly how did you choose the 1n4005 diode - I am not questioning that it is right more just curious so I can understand? I would like the mod as well but don't want it to be done half way on my part if you can clarify.

Also just to clarify the fog lights are on with this mod for low beam and/or high beam headlight use only. It will not come on with DRL or parking lights unless I manually use the button.

As far as the wire goes. I used solid wire. My dad has a lot of old TV components laying around and we just used some wire off some old capacitors that he had that was about the same sizer wire. We only used it as a way to extend the diode. Then covered it in heat shrink. I used the 1n4005 diode because thats what I used on my 05 SS silverado several years ago, and what he is currenly using on his 03 silverado. It has worked great without any problems so we used the same size. They are attached to the relay using fuse taps so that I was not jamming wires into the block and ruining anything.

FuseTap.jpg

We did have to bend them a little bit, but it was not a big deal. Then we soldered the wire to the taps hooked them on the 85 pin on each relay and it worked. We did have to figure out which one pin 85 was on the block because the relays are labeled but work no matter which way they are placed in the block.

As far when they work. When your headlights are on the fogs will automatically come on. You can still use the button to turn the fogs on with the DRL's/Parking lamps.

PLEASE NOTE: The relays may not be in your block the same way mine appear in the picture. As the relays will work no matter which way they are plugged in. I noted the position on the block as to which pin the taps are connected to. I made sure that my pin 85 was the one plugged into that location.

HPIM06681copy.jpg

While that may be a cool mod, many states prohibit having more than 4 forward facing lights illuminated at any one time when driving on roads. WA law doesn't allow for more than 4 lights on at a time.

As far as the wire goes. I used solid wire. My dad has a lot of old TV components laying around and we just used some wire off some old capacitors that he had that was about the same sizer wire. We only used it as a way to extend the diode. Then covered it in heat shrink. I used the 1n4005 diode because thats what I used on my 05 SS silverado several years ago, and what he is currenly using on his 03 silverado. It has worked great without any problems so we used the same size. They are attached to the relay using fuse taps so that I was not jamming wires into the block and ruining anything.

FuseTap.jpg

We did have to bend them a little bit, but it was not a big deal. Then we soldered the wire to the taps hooked them on the 85 pin on each relay and it worked. We did have to figure out which one pin 85 was on the block because the relays are labeled but work no matter which way they are placed in the block.

As far when they work. When your headlights are on the fogs will automatically come on. You can still use the button to turn the fogs on with the DRL's/Parking lamps.

PLEASE NOTE: The relays may not be in your block the same way mine appear in the picture. As the relays will work no matter which way they are plugged in. I noted the position on the block as to which pin the taps are connected to. I made sure that my pin 85 was the one plugged into that location.

HPIM06681copy.jpg

First off thank you for the details it is most helpful as I plan to visit Fry's and/or Radioshack shortly to get the goods. Also thanks for the fuse tap info. Any particular size you purchase for the fuse taps? Going from your picture above with arrows you lined up your 85 pins as follows:

Headlamp relay 85 pin is lower left side and

Foglamp relay 85 pin is upper left side.

I know it is not upper/lower but using the pic as a way to get correct locations. Thanks again in advance for your information.

FuseTap.jpg

HPIM06681copy.jpg

First off thank you for the details it is most helpful as I plan to visit Fry's and/or Radioshack shortly to get the goods. Also thanks for the fuse tap info. Any particular size you purchase for the fuse taps? Going from your picture above with arrows you lined up your 85 pins as follows:

Headlamp relay 85 pin is lower left side and

Foglamp relay 85 pin is upper left side.

I know it is not upper/lower but using the pic as a way to get correct locations. Thanks again in advance for your information.

Yes you are correct in the location as it relates to the picture. I just used fuse taps that fit around the pins of the relays. They were a snug fit. I beleive they are the ones that are for the size fuse. Hope all this helps.

More importantly anyone doing this needs to be sure to get the anode/cathode sides of the diode correct or this won't work. A diode is kind of the electrical equivalent of a check valve for those who don't know. You want current from the headlight relay to the fog relay and not visa versa.

Archived