P0455 Code

I have a 06 Sierra 2500HD crew,4x4,6.0L. I have been recently getting a check engine light along with a "tighten gas cap" on the display. Well tightening the gas cap doesn't help.I bought a scanner and am getting a P0455 CODE. It has something to do with evaporative emission large leak detected the scanner says. OK now what? Has anybody been through this?

So follow and inspect the hoses that run out from the gas tank?

I had the same code and code 449 and my vent vent valve selonoid was bad. Dealer wanted $111.00 garage price for the updated version. I bought the original at RockAuto for $17.00. It fixed the problem. I'm ordering another one because $17.00 every 5 years is better than $111.00 or more!

Well today I replaced the gas cap and cleared the codes. So now I'll just wait and see what happens. In the mean time I will inspect the hoses for any damage. I did want to mention that the code I cleared today has been the same the only difference it said "small leak" instead of "large".

Not sure if that makes any difference?

Well the gas cap replacement was not the fix. This morning the trouble occured again. I really would hate to bring it somewhere and pay someone to fix it. If it's something I can do I will always at least try. So now I'm thinking vent valve selonoid. Visually I don't see anything but not really sure what I'm looking for.

• 2 months later...

OK I finally got to the truck this week. Original problem was the check engine light on and generating a P0455 code. I purchased the new vent valve selonoid for an auto parts store that sells ac delco parts. I can get you the new part number if you like. I found the info on this website but not sure where. The new part comes with a new design seloniod and a remote vent/breather. $101 at the store but also needed 15 ft of 5/8 heater hose and 4 clamps. The new design you run the heater hose up over the tranny and attach the breather. I'll find the instruction if you pm me. So I put me original gas cap back on which is good because it has the leash to keep from loosing it. The hose and clamps ran about $20 and I had the wire ties. So for less than $125 and about 30 minutes the job is complete. I cleared the code and so far so good. Very very easy to do.

Archived