How Do I Disconnect Fuel Lines At The Tank?

mkory

My fuel return line has rusted out and is slowly leaking fuel. It is leaking very close to where the metal line meets the plastic line at the tank. I've never seen a connector like this before. How do I disconnect these two lines?

Edit: attached wrong picture

post-65112-1253211566_thumb.jpg

They sell a special tool that disconnects it. A piece slips in between the 2 lines and disconnects it. Not really sure how it works since I haven't dealt with those yet, but I have seen that tool. It isn't very expensive from what I remember.

I think it's something like this http://www.etoolcart.com/kent-moore-fuel-l...ol-J-41769.aspx

To get those fuel lines apart all you have to do is push in on the metal line towards the plastic and squeeze the plastic ears then pull apart. If your lines are rusty you may have to take pliers to turn the line in the plastic fitting to break the rust loose. You will then have to get a repair section with the special gm flare.

^^^ beat me to it

+1

Is the fitting that mounts to the fuel pump module the same? Is there just a bit of metal line that the plastic quick disconnect slides onto? I'm thinking about replacing the whole plastic line (and as much of the metal line that's rusted out with rubber fuel hose. I don't see why this would be an issue since it's low pressure and that stuff is made for connecting fuel rail to metal line.

There's almost no pressure on the return side. Plain rubber fuel hose with clamps will be fine.

I've got a section that I've already replaced with rubber hose, but I left this last foot or so as metal line because of the fitting that goes into the quick disconnect. Now that's leaking, too.

I said it in the previous post, but is there anything to attach rubber hose to on the module? I'd just as well replace all of the metal and plastic line with rubber if I could.

If not, is the plastic line strong enough to clamp a rubber line on the outside of it? That plastic line seems pretty flimsy to me.

Archived