2007-2009 Silverado H-11 Bulb Brighter Replacement Mod

I checked out the "Bulbzilla" mod by Innova on their website. After calling the owner, I decided to go with the mod. Basically, it is just a small mod and installation of a H-9 bulb. Evidently, the H-11 bulb is reported to be 1350 lumens and the H-9 is touted as either 2000 or 2100 lumens, depending on who you believe.

The Bulbzilla conversion provides a short jumper. You can either purchase H-9 bulbs from Innova or from a local auto parts store.

Before you start thinking: why not just go to SilverStar Ultras, since they're about 2000 lumens or so? Well, SSU's are pretty pricey, about the price of the Bulbzilla kit and the bulbs. Plus, the Innova owner says the H-11 SSU won't last as long as a H-9 standard bulb. Furthermore, I ran across this the following thread over on a Mazda forum on a straightforward mod to the H-9 bulb connector slot. It also requires grinding a tang a small amount with a dremel. Here's the copied thread.

DIY: Converting an H9 bulb to fit H11 fog light socket. <DIV id=post_message_1920260 itxtvisited="1">I recently replaced my H11 foglights with H9 bulbs. My reason for doing this was because the H9 bulb produces 2100 lumens and the H11 bulb only creates 1350 lumens. However, in order to do this the H9 bulb needs to be modified to fit the H11 socket and plug. Please refer to the pictures below to modify the H9 bulb.

For H9 bulbs I decided on Mtec H9, 65W, 4350K. The stock HIDs are 4300k so the color match is near perfect. I will post pictures of the end result. I would've liked to have bought the Hoen H9 bulbs but they have not been available on the website recently. I will keep you guys informed about the lifespan on my Mtecs.

So the question remains... Is there more light? Bottom line: Yes. However, I still would not feel comfortable driving around at night with just my fogs on. They don't project light forward (as the reflector in the fogs disperses the light low and wide). However, they are significantly more brighter than the H11 bulbs. I decided against removing the reflector in front of the bulb for two reasons: 1. The glare from the extra light would bother my fellow drivers and 2. I'm a lazy ass.

If you guys are planning on replacing your H11s I'd tell you to swap up to an H9 bulbs because for the little work you put into it, you get a whole lot more light for free!

Here are the How-To pics:

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../H9toH11_1.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../H9toH11_2.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../H9toH11_3.jpg

http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o.../H9toH11_4.jpg

UPDATE: I have been running this set up for exactly 3 years now and there is no damage to the harness, socket, gasket, nothing. I have deemed this mod to be completely safe. clear.gif <script language=JavaScript type=text/javascript> document.write('<script language="JavaScript" src="http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/rx8club.tmus/nonmembers;dcopt=ist;tile=1;sz=300x250;ord=' + ord + '?" type="text/javascript">

Maybe this is a loaded question but why not do HID's?? Much brighter than stock! possibly not liking the on coming traffic or think your going to blind them re-aim them??

I have had those blue bulbs in other cars and they always ended up melting the wiring harness.

Maybe this is a loaded question but why not do HID's?? Much brighter than stock! possibly not liking the on coming traffic or think your going to blind them re-aim them??

I was thinking the same thing,I went with HID's and love them!!! :sigh:

So, I just went out and shot some pics and drove around a bit to see what difference I could detect left to right (H-9 on left).

It's only slightly brighter to look directly at.

DSC_0038.jpg

In a dark parking lot, I could detect a brighter beam on the left in the pattern on the ground.

DSC_0044.jpg

With the beams against a wall of a building at around 40 ft, the left beam shows brighter.

DSC_0047.jpg

All said and done, it's probably about like a SilverStar Ultra upgrade, but cheaper if you just forego the Bulbzilla pigtail kit and just chisel the tang out of the socket in the H-9 bulb. Both the Bulbzilla and the Mazda guy mod require trimming of one of the three locking tabs.

Anyway, I'm satisfied with the mod and I probably won't go with HID's in the headlamps (I have HIDs in the fogs now) . I just don't want to mess with all the DRL, startup flashing, remote programming and attention getting of the HIDs in a lo-beam headlamp.

Chris,

I put in SilverStar Ultras in the Hi-beams and standard Sylvannia halogen bulbs for the Lo-beam H-9 mod. I am not sure that the H-9 is available in the Silver Star line. It doesn't seem to be a popular bulb.

For those of you wondering why I didn't go with HIDs; I have read all the things necessary to install them and prevent flashing at engine start, relays, DRL circuit workarounds, and I've decided not only do I not what to deal with all that, but I also don't want to attract any law enforcement attention to my truck (they are illegal in all states you know). Frankly, based on my foglight HIDs, I think they're just brighter than my needs and desire.

Edited by spurshot

Pete,

Appreciate the advice, but I don't want HIDs. I have them in the fog position already. I want the lower power of halogen for the lower light scatter. I've seen the HIDs and there is plenty of light, too much for my taste in the city. I don't need/want a cop pulling me over because he didn't like my lights. These are a 50-60% increase in brightness where the HIDs are something like 200-300%. I really don't want that much light. Thanks anyway.

The truck now has HID fogs, SilverStar Ultra Hi-beams (40-60% increase), these H-9 Lo-beams (50-60% increase), and the HID fogs (200-300%) increase. I think I'm well equipped for my uses and still be able to stay out of trouble with the law and not blind oncoming traffic.

I did a little homework and found the following for you 07-09 GMT900 owners:

Stock H-11 Lo-beam = 1350 lumens, life expectancy = 600-800 hrs, $15 ea. @ Autozone/Kragen

Silverstar Ultra H-11 = 1700 lumens, life expectancy = 150 hrs, $40-55 pr

Standard H-9 bulb = 2100 lumens, life expectancy = 600-800 hrs, $15 ea. @ Autozone/Kragen

HID conversion = 3200 lumens life, expectancy = ?, $50-150 set

So, if you're looking for the brightest light you can install in your truck, the HID is the clear choice. If, like me, you are worried about legal issues-law enforcement attention, courtesy to other drivers, and wish to retain DRL and not deal with a procedure to prevent flashing at startup, etc., there are other choices.

I chose the non-ricer route. :D

Edited by spurshot

• 4 weeks later...
I did a little homework and found the following for you 07-09 GMT900 owners:

Stock H-11 Lo-beam = 1350 lumens, life expectancy = 600-800 hrs, $15 ea. @ Autozone/Kragen

Silverstar Ultra H-11 = 1700 lumens, life expectancy = 150 hrs, $40-55 pr

Standard H-9 bulb = 2100 lumens, life expectancy = 600-800 hrs, $15 ea. @ Autozone/Kragen

HID conversion = 3200 lumens life, expectancy = ?, $50-150 set

http://www.sylvaniaautocatalog.com/sylvani...p;FigNumber=129

Not sure where you found the 600-800 hours for an H9 Bulb. Sylvania says their standard halogen H9 is 120 hours of life expectancy. I was thinking about doing the conversion/mod until I found out the expectancy was not so great.

http://www.sylvania.com/ConsumerProducts/A...alogenProducts/ If you click more info on any of these bulbs it should give more detailed specs

• 2 weeks later...

Seth,

I was basing my numbers on what the guy at Innova told me when I went to his shop in San Dimas. But, the Sylvannia site clearly contradicts what he told me. I'm really surprised that the stock H-11 was only 550 hrs., but the H-9 life of 120 hrs is pretty darn short. That could be just 2-3 months of driving for me. So, once again, the saying about 'no free lunches' holds true.

I'll keep an eye on them and report what happens in a month or two.

I also found the listing for the stock 9005 (hi beam) at 320 hrs, Silver Star 9005 (hi beam) showing only 60 hr life and the Silver Star Ultra 9005 with no life shown. I can't find a Silver Star or Silver Star Ultra listing on their website for the H-11

I can't find a Silver Star or Silver Star Ultra listing on their website for the H-11

H-11 SilverStar were just released in the past month or so. H-11 SilverStar Ultras do not exist. I just got hired at Osram Sylvania and asked one of the engineers about it, and that is what he told me. I was running the Xtra-vision before but put the SilverStar H11 in, big difference. I would definitely go the SS route over the H9. I'm curious if the additional heat generated by the H9 would be bad for the reflector housing/cutoff shield.

Seth,

I've run the H-9 continuously on extended night driving on two road trips now. That and a lot of shorter city trips. I'll look the reflectors over, but I hadn't noticed any problems. Other users haven't had any problems in various other applications. At 1700 lumens for the SS H-11 and 2100 lumens for the H-9, they are starting to close in on each other. Still the H-9 is another increment in light output over the SS H-11, equal to the increase from stock to SS. I'm very pleased with the open road, highway speed, performance and the not so obvious brightness. As I mentioned in one of these threads, I was pulled into a Nebraska vehicle inspection at night on my pheasant trip and they didn't even notice when they did the light inspection. I don't think I'll go to a lessor output halogen unless I encounter problems and I'm not going with HIDs for several reasons.

Edited by spurshot