How-To: GMT800 Vent Valve Solenoid Canister Location.

Hurl300

I just wanted to add this in this thread:

My solenoid is different. Apparantly there are two different flavors for this part. I had the square one. I was able to buy the exact same solenoid that came off from the dealer, but it was ~$90. I just wanted to make sure that I was getting the right one, the round one will not fit my rig.

My 2000 is the square one as well. When I popped this code a while back, I read the TSB on it. The cause was potentially dust plugging the vent solenoid so I figured what the heck, if I may have to buy a new one anyway, I might as well see if I can fix it myself. Well, I took it out, took it apart, blew all the dust out of it (a lot), put it back together, put it in, and NO CODES - Fixed. Took 1 hour.

It's easy except for the devil clip that holds the vent tube to the solenoid. I tried to take mine off and clean it a few months ago but the code came back in. It took me a good while to remove the tubing from the solenoid due to the tight space. You really have to squeeze the tabs and twist. Funny thing is that the new solenoid came with a new piece of tubing but you cannot remove the old tubing due to it being clipped down above the gas tank. I had to remove the new solenoid from the new tubing and re-use the old tubing. Holding it with both hands I could just barely get the new tubing off. It is really difficult to separate.

After reading the posts here, and having the same problem, I decided to take the valve off my 2002 Sierra and see what was up. It was a bit of a struggle, but I got it off, took it apart, and douched the valve part with chock cleaner. I took a couple of alligator clipped jumper wires and touched the battery posts toggling the valve off and on. Problem solved, the annoying check engine light is out, the truck passed inspection, I went to the local bar to spend some of the piles of money I just saved! Thanks for the info.....we are not sheep to be led around and spoon-fed by the giant corporations....This has become a throw-away society where if it doesn't work, toss it and buy new; we are addicted to garbage piles. Thanks again....the internet rocks!

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 months later...

I have a 2005 silverado. I am getting a code of po449 and po455 also. My question is will either of these codes make the truck run bad. My truck runs fine from 55 on to 80 mph but between 35 and 50 it is missing really bad after the tranny shifts into over drive. as long as you are pushing the gas pedal it does fine but when you are trying to maintain or hold speed at 40 to 45 the miss starts. I thought my tranny was going so i took it to a repair shop and they said the transmission was fine. Can anyone offer any advice on this.

• 2 months later...

Just to give everyone another alternative to the $180 part the dealer has listed for the new part. I order ACDelco part number 214-2082. It looks to be the exact same part as what was currently on my 2008 Silverado and has the filter loacted over the transmittion. I was able to get the part from Amazon for about $60 and spent about $10 to $15 on 10 feet of 5/8" heater hose and clamps. I noticed after removing the solenoid that it had water in it, I thought it was maybe gas at first but it had no smell. The only difference in the parts was the new filter had a larger and had smaller slots for air. The old filter was more or less just open, it had just enough of a guard to keep the filter in. I replaced all of the old hoses with 5/8" heater hose and reused the white GM connector.

New part in box

Old part

side by side old and new

side by side old and new

side by side old and new

side by side old and new

side by side old and new

New part and hose

New part and hose

question: if you take this off is the truck still drivable? (i dont care about a light). i ask because id like to fix this myself, but my truck is our only vehicle, and with my luck i'll have it off, something wont go right or something will happen for whatever reason, and i'll need my truck even though the part is in my hand.

• 1 month later...

The above posts are very helpful! I have a 07' GMC Sierra (new body style) and the codes read that I too have a bad purge valve solenoid. From what I can gather, it looks slightly different than the ones pictured above. Is the placement of the valve the same as in the earlier diagrams?

• 3 months later...

I agree, the posts above are extremely helpful. Thanx guys. Sorry to be joining in so late but I've just recently received the Po449 code. For serenity... above,and all those that follow, if your leaning towards a "purge" valve solenoid, thats a whole other animal. Different local anyway. The majority of this thread, from what this feeble mind can gather, is concerning the "vent" valve solenoid. I beleive the "purge" valve solenoid is under the hood near the intake manifold. I'm just now learning about all of this myself so PLZ correct me,anyone, before I cost a newbie all the $$$ you've all saved us. Luckily I got my code 2 wks after inspection. got a while to play with it but I think we got a good thing goin' here. Thanx again.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Thanks much! 2005 Chevrolet Silverado crew cab 1/2 ton 5.3 litre v8. Had a check engine light. Put my obdwiz on it and read code p0449. Found this thread and bought AC 214-2149 ($22 + change) and 1 foot of 5/8" heater hose and 2 clamps at Oreillys Auto. I used the original white slip connection with the heater hose. Installed. Cleared check engine light with my obdwiz - no more codes.

• 1 year later...

As has been pointed out before. In order for all vehicles manufactured for sale in the USA to meet Federally Mandated Emissions Standards. Manufactures must provide a limited extended warranty on emissions related items. Here is a link to the exact text and explanation on what and how long the coverage lasts. http://www.carcarepeople.com/a/federal-emission-warranty-how-it-works Hope everyone finds the useful as well as informative I did. Why pay for something if you can get a warranty to pay for it for you.

• 1 month later...

I have a 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 with a 6.0. Aftermarket Wells product shown below is a match from almost every parts store. Only problem is I can't see anywhere on my truck where the separate charcoal filter goes. Do I have the wrong part? 73-1400 from carquest 31n+PAM3jWL.jpg

EDIT: Ok I figured it out. I guess I'm a little green (no pun intended) on all this emissions stuff. The port on the left goes to a long 5/8" heater hose that goes toward the front of the truck and on top of the transmission I found the filter. Hope this helps someone.

Archived