Bowtie Removal Question

I've searched for 2 days now and can't find the answer I need.

I just bought an 08 Tahoe LTZ from a friend and am trying to find out if the bowtie on the rear lift gate is bolted down or stuck on with tape? Looking at it, it looks like it's just double-sided tape.

Also, what's the best way to remove the bowtie on the grill? I'm thinking about replacing it with this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks in advance.

The one on the trucks are taped. I just kept soaking the sides with gu-gone till it was ready to pull off. Some use 100lb fishing line and go in behind it

Did you get any scratching or paint damage when using the fishing line?

Thanks,

Mark

I've searched for 2 days now and can't find the answer I need.

I just bought an 08 Tahoe LTZ from a friend and am trying to find out if the bowtie on the rear lift gate is bolted down or stuck on with tape? Looking at it, it looks like it's just double-sided tape.

Also, what's the best way to remove the bowtie on the grill? I'm thinking about replacing it with this one. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...RK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Thanks in advance.

I'm curious too - I have an 09 Suburban. On my 08 Avalanche, the bow tie was stuck on with tape but there were also 2 or 3 (can't remember) centering pins on the back of the bow tie that fit into holes in the tailgate. On an 08 2500HD, it was just tape, pins. Dental floss or fishing line with heat from a hair dryer makes removal easy. Then Goo Gone or other solvent followed by some polish - no scratches or outlines.

The one on the trucks are taped. I just kept soaking the sides with gu-gone till it was ready to pull off. Some use 100lb fishing line and go in behind it

Heat gun and dental floss.....followed by goo gone to clean up then a clay bar and finally was

IF the Tahoes grille-tie is like the Silvy, the backside looks like this. There are a couple of wedge shaped tangs on the "soccer goal" that lock it to the grille. You can disengage them with a tiny screwdriver from the backside and it will pop off, again IF it's the same as the trucks. I had to remove the facia between the radiator and grill to gain access and field of view too, but it's just held on with pop-fasteners or whatever they're called.

gallery_61310_643_921421.jpg

IF the Tahoes tie is like the Silvy, the backside looks like this. There are a couple of wedge shaped tangs on the "soccer goal" that lock it to the grille. You can disengage them with a tiny screwdriver from the backside and it will pop off, again IF it's the same as the trucks.

gallery_61310_643_921421.jpg

I have mine removed one the rear!! I can post pics if you need them!! Just a little heat and fishing Line (and Goof OFF) Easy 10-20 Min deal.

so on the tailgate there isn't any centering pins?

Yes there are. You can remove it but you will need to replace the piece that it mounts to with one from a Yukon, as they dont have emblems. And the front one isn't like the Silverados. It has two center pens and a small amount of double sided tape.

I did some research on the same topic for an 2009 Suburban LTZ. Like your Tahoe, the tail gate emblem DOES HAVE HOLES that would to be filled or covered with another piece of some sort. The pickups/trucks are much easier and do not have holes.

I got a combo emblem kit off ebay and the back piece just wouldn't tape on as close to the body to look like a good OEM emblem.

On the front, however, that was a different story. Reaching in into the grill area, I was able to remove the emblem without removing any additional items other than simply lifting the hood. The emblem was held in place with a weird looking nut, but nonetheless was truly a nut. The nut twists onto a plastic bolt and with some unscrewing, the emblem eventually came off and enabled me to put on a new black emblem in its place. The new emblem is a powder-coated black, so should endure the front elements hitting it everyday.

Hope this helps. In summary on a new body Tahoe/Suburban, take care on the rear emblem, but have fun with the front.

I did some research on the same topic for an 2009 Suburban LTZ. Like your Tahoe, the tail gate emblem DOES HAVE HOLES that would to be filled or covered with another piece of some sort. The pickups/trucks are much easier and do not have holes.

I got a combo emblem kit off ebay and the back piece just wouldn't tape on as close to the body to look like a good OEM emblem.

On the front, however, that was a different story. Reaching in into the grill area, I was able to remove the emblem without removing any additional items other than simply lifting the hood. The emblem was held in place with a weird looking nut, but nonetheless was truly a nut. The nut twists onto a plastic bolt and with some unscrewing, the emblem eventually came off and enabled me to put on a new black emblem in its place. The new emblem is a powder-coated black, so should endure the front elements hitting it everyday.

Hope this helps. In summary on a new body Tahoe/Suburban, take care on the rear emblem, but have fun with the front.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Guess I'll just look into color matching the emblems.

gasoline works great with the removel of emblems. Just spray gasoline around the emblems and then use any fishing line u want to then get behind the emblem and pull it behind and it falls right off. There will be some of the 3M double sided foam tape left but just use gas and a microfiber towel to remove the tape and glue.

Thanks, that's what I needed to know. Guess I'll just look into color matching the emblems.

There is a another option.

You can order the rear hatch handle cover (the thing the rear bow tie is attached to) from the Yukon and have it painted to match and use that in place of the Tahoe version.

Check out this thread, this should show you exactly what's up! I'd suggest going with the Yukon part for the cleaner look! :lol:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82226

Hope that helps.

There is a another option.

You can order the rear hatch handle cover (the thing the rear bow tie is attached to) from the Yukon and have it painted to match and use that in place of the Tahoe version.

Check out this thread, this should show you exactly what's up! I'd suggest going with the Yukon part for the cleaner look! :lol:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=82226

Hope that helps.

Thanks for the link. I'll be calling the dealer tomorrow for a price on the cover. The part # in the link turned up nothing at gmpartsdirect.

Archived