Hi all! I have been getting a P0340 code on my 96 5.7 GMC. I can clear it then it comes back. Lastnight the truck started "surging, bucking" on the way home SES light on again and again code P0340. Should I replace the crankshaft/camshaft position sensor and if I do will this fix the problemo??? I read something about the O2 sensors might affect/cause the P0340 code too? Is that right? I have never replaced O2 sensor or sensors on this truck. ( I have owned since new) Are there 2 sensors before each cat? Any help is as always greatly appreciated! :rolleyes:

Start by checking the location/condition of the sensor. Seems these mount up on little tangs of metal, perhaps it was bent. The sensor is about $70, so if you can test the unit you have first, that may save you a few headaches. The O2 sensor I cannot help with, my old 92 has one on the driver side, right next to the steering colum. Very easy to replace if necessary...

--Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Well, replaced the camshaft position senson and no more p0340. replaced distributor cap and rotor while i was in there. started up and misfiring badly, no codes. shut it off checked for codes and nothing. started it and drove it no problems, ran good. :thumbs: next day (todaY) started it and rough idle, no codes misfired badly again. shut it down checked for codes, nothing. restarted and drove about 20 miles no problems. Stomped on it and check engine light is flashing for a long time then steady on...code p0300. shut it off cleared the code now runs good again. i have 170,000 on it and first distributor cap and rotor. did plugs and wires around 150K. Any ideas? :wtf:

Archived