Evap Vent Valve Solenoid

kschein@aarcorp.com

Question

it means there is a malfunction in one of the circuits for the evap vent solinoid ,but if you want to throw money and parts at it ,feel free ,but the dealer will fix it and recommend a relocate for the filter to under the hood ,I would .if it is even the vent solinoid ,techs usually always change the canister as well,leave it to the pros ,you get a yr warranty on the repair to,no brainer .,

all you guys are not saving money by thowing parts at your trucks ,maybe I don't get it.

it means there is a malfunction in one of the circuits for the evap vent solinoid ,but if you want to throw money and parts at it ,feel free ,but the dealer will fix it and recommend a relocate for the filter to under the hood ,I would .if it is even the vent solinoid ,techs usually always change the canister as well,leave it to the pros ,you get a yr warranty on the repair to,no brainer .,

all you guys are not saving money by thowing parts at your trucks ,maybe I don't get it.

Let me try to explain it to you then....

- The self satisfaction you get from repairing your own vehicle

- Not everyone has the cash to pay a mechanic

- A lack of trust - ex: I used to let the local Chevy dealer do my routine servicing until I discovered that only 9 of the 11 grease zerks were being lubed.

I'm sure there are others....no offense to you personally.

• Like 2

none taken ,this may be the time to have a discussion on that because I hate to see people waste time and money and try stuff that they don't have a clue on how its done and whats involved or how the new veh's work.

please chime in with what you guys think

I have a 2006 Chevy Silverado with a 5.3L. I am getiing engine trouble code P0449---

Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Valve/Solenoid Circuit Malfunction. Where is the vent valve/solenoid located? I am assuming that I need to change it.

Hey man...Don't listen to any of this mumbo.....I had the same thing happen on my 06 Silverado...Here is what you do

1. locate the vent valve soleniod in front of the fuel tank(right about where the cab and bed meet). It is a small black canister about 3 inches in length, with a wire plug, and a black hoses attached.

2. Remove it by unpuging wire connector(lift the clip and pull plug out), unfasten from frame(lift the clip and slide off). and undo black hose from canister it runs into(pull outward on the 2 clips). Each of the 3 fasteners has to be sort of unclipped from their fastener...This takes a few minutes to figure out, but is fairly easy.The one with the 2 clips is the hardest, gotta kind of finagle it a bit...

3. Once removed, go to your Chevy dealer parts department, and ask for a vent valve solenoid for a 06 suburban...Yes 06 suburban 1500 2wd ls. Let me explain why. The suburban part is an exact match of what you will remove from your truck. Cost is @ 25.00. The redesigned part for your truck, if you let the parts guy look it up is 150.00-175.00...Total BS on chevy's part. The parts people will tell you you need the redesigned part, put put some logic into it...25 vs 175, and if the part was so defective, why are they still using it on the suburban.....I would rather spend 25, and chance having to replace it again in a few years, rather than 175 with the same NO GUARANTEE....

4. You will also need an 8 inch peice of heater hose, and 2 hose clamps, because you will need to cut the old hard plastic hose of of the fitting that goes into the canister under the truck, slip the new hose over the hard plastic on, and onto the fitting, and hoseclamp each end tight

*** try to measure the origional length of the assembly before hand, and cut the piece of new hose to match the origional length, so reinstallation will match up perfectly

5. Last, you will need to clear the code from the ecm, to get the engine light to shut off. I recomend going to your local Autozone, or parts store that will hook up a scanner for free....Dont go with the unplugging the battery theory, as this is known to cause issues with the AC vent control blowing hot air on one side instead of cold....

By the way....The P0449 code means that the computer is not getting the correct voltage reading from that solenoid...Overfilling or topping of the fuel tank and purging fuel through the hose into this solenoid is the leading cause...Or the truck going through lots of water-mud, thus sucking crap up into the solenoid same as the fuel being forced into it....This action kind of shorts out the solenoid, or damages it enough to throw off the voltage reading it sends back to the ecm......

Hope this helps...let me know how it all turns out.....

Edited by odayflor

By the way....The service blletin on this issue, justifing the redesigned part, isnt even for the P0449 code. It is for the P0446 code, which is the code that means the soleniod is not opening and/or closing correctly. This is the code usually caused by dirt and mud being sucked into the solenoid, thus preventing it from opening or closing, thus the reason for the redesigned part, relocating the newly added filter box to a location less likely to ingest dirt....There is nothing electrically wrong with the origional part, the location is the only real issue....Solution is to 1. after the fuel nozzel clicks off the first time, the tank is FULL, don't try to squeeze more gas into it, and 2. stay away from flooded roads, and lots of muddy trails. 3. If you will be offroading, or driving in extremely dirty situations, remove the solenoid as instructed above, pull the top off the canister, and clean it out with compressed air(no liquids) and reinstall......same theory as your trucks air filter on the engine........

this is what Im talking about ,Odayflo has told that guy half the repair and that guy will have that same problem very soon,but what ever ,

beem me up scotty

thx for telling him the other half of the repair ,I was 2 minutes late in my post lol

Edited by gmtech4

Actually, it could be a few things. The "probable causes" that printed out of the OBDII tester for P0449 were:

1. Purge or vent solenoids defective

2. Connector or wiring problem

3. Fuel saturated vapor canister

4. Failed EVAP vent solenoid

Using a multimeter, I checked the resistance across the vent valve solenoid coil and found it to be open. A good solenoid measures about 20 ohms. I stopped troubleshooting there, bought a replacement vent solenoid unit, reset the CEL, everything good.

Good job Robo1.......Maybe GM should refocus their customer service, and gear it toward HELPING GM owners fix their stuff, instead of the attitude that no one should be messing around trying to fix their stuff, and that only the dealer tech. knows how it really works.....Lets see here.....2 possible parts could be the problem...One cost $25, the other @ $35. If I get it wrong on the first try, and buy both before really fixing, am I really that dumb??? Because I just spent $100- $150 less than the guy that went to the dealer. And that guy now knows absolutly nothing more about his truck than when he walked into the dealer service department. Wait, he does know where the bathroom, and the coffe pot are located.........

I'll gamble on a $32 dollars worth of parts, and 15 minutes of my time to try and repair my truck (P0449), than to bring it to the dealer for $450....it may not work (which it did), but it's worth a try in my book....hell, the dealer wanted $100 just to pull the code....went to Auto Zone and had the code pulled for free

• Like 1

I used the 06 Suburban cannister on my 06 2wd sierra 5.3 due to P0449 code about a year ago. Bought part at Advanced Auto Parts and had them reset code. I have not had any trouble. As stated earlier the cannisters have the exact same gm part #. I did not relocate anything.

A p0449 is a vent solenoid "circuit" dtc (not a performance code) and cannot be caused by a purge valve. A p0446 is for purge detected when none commanded and is generally caused by a stuck open purge valve. It can also be caused by a failed fuel tank pressure sensor but that isn't very common.

P.S. I have never charged anyone $100 to "pull a code". I charge to accurately diagnose their vehicle. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with vent solenoids as there is but you really shouldn't bash the tech. Just like whatever you guys do for a living, there are good ones and bad ones.

A p0449 is a vent solenoid "circuit" dtc (not a performance code) and cannot be caused by a purge valve. A p0446 is for purge detected when none commanded and is generally caused by a stuck open purge valve. It can also be caused by a failed fuel tank pressure sensor but that isn't very common.

P.S. I have never charged anyone $100 to "pull a code". I charge to accurately diagnose their vehicle. I'm not saying there isn't a problem with vent solenoids as there is but you really shouldn't bash the tech. Just like whatever you guys do for a living, there are good ones and bad ones.

I would never bash a tech....at least not without reason, I've worked in the field of 23 years and have seen some pretty shady stuff pulled :thumbs: . I'm just saying, that if I had a shot of throwing a few dollars at the truck for a fix, I'm gonna try it....if it doesn't work, then it's off to the dealership. And yes, Danbury Chevrolet of Danbury Connecticut wanted $100 to pull the code....when I worked at Volvo/Nissan, we'd run outside with a handheld scan tool and pull the codes for free...it took all of 45 seconds....maybe GM doesn't have a handheld unit, not sure, but I've done plenty of business with the dealer, you'd think they cut me some slack :seeya: