Rough Idle At Start-up

I have a 6.2L that has been dyno tuned and as of the last few days I have had a rough idle after a cold start-up. This only seems to last about 15-20 seconds but it is starting to concern me. It did not start when I first had it tuned. It seems now that the weather is getting cooler like 30 degrees cooler I am noticing this issue. What could be causing this problem and is it something that is going to hurt the engine? Any help is always appreciated. Thanks

I've been having the same type of issue and this truck is completely stock at the moment. It started about the same time I noticed oil coming out of the tail pipe. Yeah... oil. The dealer found a TSB for smoke out of the tail pipe (mine wasn't smoking... yet) and replaced the lifters. That seemed to help both issues, but there is still what I'm guessing is left-over oil-type stuff coming out of the tailpipe and the rough idle in the morning is still there.

If it sits for about 5+ hours, the rough idle is always present. Then goes away after about 30-40 seconds and the truck runs great. It's done this when it's anywhere from 60-100 degress outside. They have no idea what's causing the rough idle. But they already had at least 1 customer swap out his Denali only to experience the same problem on the new one.

I would still make sure there isn't smoke/oil coming out of the tail pipe and get it in to the dealer. And probably wouldn't hurt to put tune back to stock first though. Especially since they might reflash the ECU like they did on mine.

I've been having the same type of issue and this truck is completely stock at the moment. It started about the same time I noticed oil coming out of the tail pipe. Yeah... oil. The dealer found a TSB for smoke out of the tail pipe (mine wasn't smoking... yet) and replaced the lifters. That seemed to help both issues, but there is still what I'm guessing is left-over oil-type stuff coming out of the tailpipe and the rough idle in the morning is still there.

If it sits for about 5+ hours, the rough idle is always present. Then goes away after about 30-40 seconds and the truck runs great. It's done this when it's anywhere from 60-100 degress outside. They have no idea what's causing the rough idle. But they already had at least 1 customer swap out his Denali only to experience the same problem on the new one.

I would still make sure there isn't smoke/oil coming out of the tail pipe and get it in to the dealer. And probably wouldn't hurt to put tune back to stock first though. Especially since they might reflash the ECU like they did on mine.

Did you see the oil in the tailpipe? How would I be able to tell?

Did you see the oil in the tailpipe? How would I be able to tell?

I back into my garage, so I could see oil on the garage wall from starting it up. But if you look in the tail pipe, you should also see some oil sitting in there. They said the TSB was really for smoke, which would occur in the morning, in particular if you park at an incline. So you might want to start it up and take a look.

I have never seen any smoke on start up. I am going to be going to work here in a little bit and I am going to check it out again. I a going to try to get back to the tuner and see if it is something with the tune.

Well I was at the dealer today getting an oil change and I figured while I was there I would talk to my salesman and get some further details on the rough idle. I started it up this morning and it actually only lasts about 10-15 seconds. A lot shorter than I origionally thought. In speaking to him as well as one of the techs there I was told that some rough idle is normal on the newer vehicles as they are trying to heat up to operating temp a quick as possible. I was also told that there is no need to worry about the rough idle as it is not lasting long at all. The tech actaully told me to get incontact with the tuner to adjust the cold start setting which is causing the issue. Ill keep you posted once I get back to the tuner for the final adjustments.

Well I was at the dealer today getting an oil change and I figured while I was there I would talk to my salesman and get some further details on the rough idle. I started it up this morning and it actually only lasts about 10-15 seconds. A lot shorter than I origionally thought. In speaking to him as well as one of the techs there I was told that some rough idle is normal on the newer vehicles as they are trying to heat up to operating temp a quick as possible. I was also told that there is no need to worry about the rough idle as it is not lasting long at all. The tech actaully told me to get incontact with the tuner to adjust the cold start setting which is causing the issue. Ill keep you posted once I get back to the tuner for the final adjustments.

That's bullshit.

That's bullshit.

OT....how do you like that Camaro?

That's bullshit.

OT....how do you like that Camaro?

Camaro's great! Just hit 3500KM with no problems at all.

I am taking it back in, in the morning because when I started it tonight and put it in gear, I all of a sudden had this tick in every 2 seconds or so coming from the transmission or somewhere in that area. I called my salesman and he is going to have one of the tech flash the vehicle back to stock and Ill see if both issues go away. if not it will be going in for work in about a week.

Archived