• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Chevyboy86

Chevyboy86

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,118 posts
  • Drives:WORD UP

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:36 PM

I work up north in Canada, in the oil sands, these mines are veeery demanding on trucks. Very hard on vehicles VERY. Really fine sand mixed with oil. What do you get? An abrasive. Now on too the topic. I drove a 3/4 ton chevy around for awhile. Was the most co
fortable for sure. Quiet inside, rode nice on the highway hense the IFS front end. BUT it didn't hold up very long at all. The front end was beat out pretty fast, ground clearance was minimal. The engine was alright had some sensor issues. Didn't like too start in -35 weather either, some other things I noticed. The dodge I drove for 8 months never skipped a beat. 06 5.9 litre. That truck was amazing on fuel, always started. But again front end didn't last long, noisy cummins too. Uncorfortable cab I thought. Then I drove a 2009 powerstroke for about the same time. This truck had a front end that was tougher than nails, by far the ford was toughest in the mine, but I hate the interior, the engine was GUTLESS that's if the small turbo was even working. Never really did. Tonsof turbo lag. Transmission made funny nooses from time too time too. Up here EVERY single oilsands company has ford trucks for mine vehicles cuz the front end is tough they are bulletproof. But with the triton v-10. Not the powerjoke. In my eyes, if I needed a diesel I would buy a duramax....cuz I'm a gm guy. But if I could I would build a truck with a ford front end steering components and suspension and axle. With an Allison tranny, 2003-2007 5.9 litre cummins engine. On a gm body and frame. That would be the ultimate diesel truck in my eyes!!

2007.5 Sierra SLT 2500hd Duramax, Loaded, Leather, Sunroof, 6" Lift, DVD, Billet S475/stock twin kit (60psi), Suncoast Gmax-6 tranny built by Husker Diesel, 1058 suncoast triple disc t/c, AFE cold pipe, M/A transfer case brace, EFI LIVE DSP5 by idaho rob, 35x12.5r20 Toyo's on BMF Novakanes, Amp Research Steps, Premier H/U, 3 JL audio amps, 2 JL woofers,  Focal components, Cobalt Gauges, HID's all around, bullet proof bumper, air dog 150 and all kinds of other little fuel mods. Soon - 40 over sticks, S3xx/S475 Fixed Vane twins, Motor currently under the knife! Shooting for 700+  In Loving Memory of TC 84-12
collage

#17 detector19

detector19

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:18 AM

I'll take whichever one comes w/ those chicks ;)

What truck I did'nt see no truck... :P

#18 rev353

rev353

Enthusiast

• Validating
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 08:54 AM

Don't shoot!!

I have a friend with each. Pulling and power Cummins, my friends Dodge will drive circles around the Duramax and get MPG. That said. As a daily driver or limited 50/50 pulling I'd take the GM. Everything other than the power and mpg the GM is 3 times the truck. I am just happy with my 8.1L GMC, try and pry that away from me. :P

#19 justind1203

justind1203

Enthusiast

• 19 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 09:48 AM

Ummmm.........I love my Duramax, but I'd drive a Dodge if I can have those girls with it!!!!

#20 sstimothy

sstimothy

sstimothy

• 826 posts

Posted 20 October 2009 - 11:36 AM

Don't shoot!!

I have a friend with each. Pulling and power Cummins, my friends Dodge will drive circles around the Duramax and get MPG. That said. As a daily driver or limited 50/50 pulling I'd take the GM. Everything other than the power and mpg the GM is 3 times the truck. I am just happy with my 8.1L GMC, try and pry that away from me. :P

OK I can't set here and take it anymore! My buddy has 2 cummins. An 05' with the 5.9, and an 07 with the bluetech 6.7 and the Apex tranny.

I drive an LBZ
I have more HP, More TQ than either (Tq tied with 6.7).

LBZ Max: 360 Hp, 650 ft-lb Tq
Cummins 5.9: 325 Hp, 600 ft-lb Tq
Cummins 6.7: 350 Hp, 650 ft-lb Tq

His 5.9 gets about the same mileage as mine, I blow the bluetech out of the water by about 3 mpg in the city and 2 on the highway.

We've pulled head to head with 4 sleds over monarch and eisenhower passes here in Colorado. I pull away, pretty easily when the RPM's get to climb (I6's have a steep torque curve but falls dead in the dirt if the tranny doesn't manage the RPM's) Don't know what motor versions your buddy's have, but your getting some bad info it sounds like. One won't pull circles around the other. We all own diesels, powerstruggles included. They all pull like freighttrains and we all know our advantages and disadvantages to each. I hate this damn post because I don't want to jump on the bandwagon, but when I see posts like this, I can't help it. :D

2015GMC2.jpg
2015' GMC Crew Cab, SLT, Dmax/Allison, 4X4
Onyx Black w/Cocoa Dune
G80, skid plate package, driver alert package, DVD/BluRay, camper mirrors, 5th wheel wiring, winter covers, too many option to name on one page, etc...etc...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users