Headlight Bulb Replacement : How To?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 Johnson8537

Johnson8537

Enthusiast

• 183 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:56 AM

Ok guys.. so My low beams are horrible and want to put in some silverstars and need to know how to replace them.

I have heard you have to take off the whole grill just to replace the bulbs??

I have not yet tried or looked but thought i would ask the experts first.

any help would be great....... :jester:
2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 - NAV- Back up cam- Dual DVDs in headrests, 22" Wheels, Eibach lowing 2" springs, tinted windows, billet grill. Subs, Alpine Amp, Bose factory speakers. Plus all the LTZ has to offer!

SOLD:
2007 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Lt2-FabTech 6" Lift with 20" XD wheels on 35" Toyos, Black Nerf Bars
Billet Grill, Tinted Windows, Line XBed Liner, Hypertech programer, ACCESS Tonneau cover.
WET OKOLE Seat covers front and back, Pioneer Head unit with Ipod hook up and handsfree Bluetooth.
My Garage

#2 DCSTech

DCSTech

Enthusiast

• 135 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:38 AM

I just added the foglamp kit to my 2007 GMT900 chevy and the instructions said to take off the front bumper. Well needless to say I figured there has to be an easier way. The only thing holding me from getting the end caps off
was the headlamp assemblies.
If you look on top, after you open the hood there are two screws holding the lamp assy and one in the back rear
which you can't see. The rear one is accessed from underneath up in the front fenderwell. You have to take off the
grill, but this just four screws on top. Once these three screws are undone from the headlamp assy it slides out to the front. You can undo the bulbs without having to slide it out all the way or if you want, unplug the electrical connector
and you can take the whole thing out.
I figured this out trying not to have to take the bumper off, but when I have to replace the bulbs this is the
procedure I am going to use.

Posted Image
2007 Silverado LT1, Z71, 4.8L.
18" Aluminum Wheels, P265/65R18 OOR BW Dueller A/T's
GM 6" oval steps, hood protector, splash guards,DIC & remote start upgrade, tailgate lock upgrade,
rear fenderwell liners. EZ-Down tailgate damper, fog light upgrade, GM wheel locks.
GMT400 Underhood Reel Light, Spray in bedliner, 56" Better Built black tool chest.
GM ELITE Truck Club member #26

#3 elcamino

elcamino

• 1,307 posts
  • Name:Mike
  • Drives:2012 GMC Sierra Denali

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

I have a 08 GMC and can access the bulbs from inside of engine compartment. I can't believe the Chevy is any more complicated?

Headlamps
To replace one of these bulbs:
1. Open the hood. See Hood Release on page 5-11
for more information.
2. If you are replacing the bulb on the passenger side
remove the Engine Air Cleaner cover. See Engine
Air Cleaner/Filter on page 5-17 for more information.
3. Reach in and access the bulb sockets from inside
the engine compartment.
4. Turn the bulb socket counterclockwise to remove it
from the headlamp assembly and pull it straight out.
5. Unplug the electrical connector from the old bulb
by releasing the clips on the bulb socket.
6. Replace it with a new bulb socket.
7. Plug in the electrical connector to the new
bulb socket.
8. Reinstall the new bulb socket into the headlamp
assembly and turn it clockwise to secure.
9. Close the hood.

High-Beam Headlamp 9005
Low-Beam Headlamp H11

Edited by elcamino, 18 October 2009 - 11:21 AM.

Mike

#4 swhitney2003

swhitney2003

Enthusiast

• 461 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 11:19 AM

Ok guys.. so My low beams are horrible and want to put in some silverstars and need to know how to replace them.

I have heard you have to take off the whole grill just to replace the bulbs??

I have not yet tried or looked but thought i would ask the experts first.

any help would be great....... :jester:

Are there H11 Silverstars now? Last I knew they weren't made.

Edited by swhitney2003, 18 October 2009 - 11:19 AM.

2008 Silverado 1500 LT1 - Regular Cab 8' Bed - 5.3L, 3.73, 4x4, Z71 - Line-X Spray-In Bed Liner, 2" Rough Country Leveling Kit, DIC Install, Corsa dB Black Muffler, Kobalt Truck Chest, Silverstar Ultra Hi/Low, Audiobahn A8000V Amplifier - 800 Watts RMS @ 2Ω, Two 12" Audiobahn Subwoofers, Antenna removed, Air dam removed

#5 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:04 PM

You should be able to get to the passenger side bulb by removing the airbox; it just pulls straight out once you've gotten the airlid off. The drivers' side was even easier, you just have to snake your hand in where the radiator core support is and pull the bulb out.
2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

#6 vdubmurray

vdubmurray

Enthusiast

• 67 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:14 PM

Are there H11 Silverstars now? Last I knew they weren't made.

http://www.amazon.co...e...7685&sr=8-1
Posted Image

#7 1990ss

1990ss

Enthusiast

• 339 posts
  • Name:Josh
  • Drives:2008 Silverado crew cab Vortec Max

Posted 18 October 2009 - 01:29 PM

Has anyone used PIAA's Extreme White Plus bulbs? They're more expensive, but I'm wondering if they're better than the Silverstars.
2008 Silverado Vortec Max, LTZ, CCSB, Black/Black, Sunroof, 20's, Side Curtain Air Bags, Power Adj. Pedals, Rear Park Assist, Brushed aluminum interior trim, USB port, Front floor interior lights, RC 2" leveling kit, 2" rear blocks, 275/60/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, LED taillights, LED 3rd brake light, Under rail bed lighting, Ziebart spray-on bedliner, Dynomax dual exhaust, Volant Powercore CAI, Diablo tuned
2008 GMC Acadia, SLT2, Black Carbon Metallic, Ebony/Titainium interior, Nav., HUD, 19's, Dual Sky Scape Sunroofs, Trailering Package
2006 Silverado, RCLB, 4.8L, W/T, Dark Blue Metallic
1997 Silverado, Z71, ECSB, 5.7L, Maroon/Beige

Posted Image

#8 Johnson8537

Johnson8537

Enthusiast

• 183 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 07:21 PM

thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Sounds like a normal removal/replacement...

( I had just heard of having to take off teh grill and the headlamp assemblies out!)
2007 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 - NAV- Back up cam- Dual DVDs in headrests, 22" Wheels, Eibach lowing 2" springs, tinted windows, billet grill. Subs, Alpine Amp, Bose factory speakers. Plus all the LTZ has to offer!

SOLD:
2007 Silverado Crew Cab 4x4 Lt2-FabTech 6" Lift with 20" XD wheels on 35" Toyos, Black Nerf Bars
Billet Grill, Tinted Windows, Line XBed Liner, Hypertech programer, ACCESS Tonneau cover.
WET OKOLE Seat covers front and back, Pioneer Head unit with Ipod hook up and handsfree Bluetooth.
My Garage

#9 slpy

slpy

Enthusiast

• 32 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 09:24 PM

thanks everyone!!!!!!!

Sounds like a normal removal/replacement...

( I had just heard of having to take off teh grill and the headlamp assemblies out!)

I put an HID kit on my sierra the spot was very tight and hard to work with. I just had to get someone with really small hands!
Posted Image
'08 GMC Sierra SLE, MagnaFlow dual side exit in front of the rear tire, aFe stage 2 cold air intake, HID 6000k H11, HID fog lights 3000k H16, blacked out tail lights and third brake light, air horn upgrade.

#10 deyomatic

deyomatic

Enthusiast

• 86 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 01:27 AM

I've always RAVED that headlight replacement is the ONE thing that's easier on new vehicles than on old ones. I hope GM didn't go and mess that up.

#11 Johnson8537

Johnson8537

Enthusiast

• 183 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 07:59 PM

Just put in the H11 Silverstars and it is MUCH BETTER!!!

just reach in and it was plug and play!!
Passenger side needed to remove the air cleaner box (just loosen the hose clamp and it pops right out.)

SOLD:
My Garage

#12 txab

txab

Your worst fWONking nightmare

• 8,765 posts
  • Drives:2014 GMC Sierra

Posted 02 November 2009 - 08:05 PM

I've always RAVED that headlight replacement is the ONE thing that's easier on new vehicles than on old ones. I hope GM didn't go and mess that up.

You're still ok with your '05.

100_0955-1-1-1.jpg
"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic."
-- Benjamin Franklin

bbp.pngsynad.pngAdamslogo3_zpsc74f7e65.png

#13 spurshot

spurshot

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,015 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

Passenger side needed to remove the air cleaner box (just loosen the hose clamp and it pops right out.)

If you could keep a rough track of the hours or at least number of days, weeks, months, that the Silver Stars last, it'd be appreciated. I have the H-9 conversion. They have a Sylvannia life rating of 120 hrs.

DSC_7821_zpsacf5baa7.jpg

2014 Sierra SLT All Terrain 5.3 Crew 6 1/2 ft bed, 305/60-18 Cooper ST Maxx, 1 1/2" level, 5000k Morimoto HID, 4 Baja Designs SII LED lights, Bushwacker flares

2008 Silverado 1500 VMax Crew 4x4 LTZ, NHT

#14 Johnson8537

Johnson8537

Enthusiast

• 183 posts

Posted 02 November 2009 - 10:23 PM

If you could keep a rough track of the hours or at least number of days, weeks, months, that the Silver Stars last, it'd be appreciated. I have the H-9 conversion. They have a Sylvannia life rating of 120 hrs.

I would but i can almost gaurentee the truck will be sold by the time they burn out. (I drive about 3 miles to and from work 5 days a week...well 4 this year with budget cuts) I only keep my vehicles about 1-2 years so.. 2 years would be about 80 hours if my calculations are correct.

They lasted at least 60hours before I sold be tacoma... but those were not h11's

Edited by Johnson8537, 02 November 2009 - 10:24 PM.

SOLD:
My Garage

#15 Ridgerunner30

Ridgerunner30

Enthusiast

• 62 posts

Posted 03 November 2009 - 06:37 AM

I installed a set of Silverstars on one of my previous trucks. The lights did not last very long (I estimate less than 1/2 the life of standard bulbs) as compared to standard bulbs. This was a couple of years ago. Maybe they have been improved since then. I liked the bulbs but was not happy with the life span for the money they cost.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users