Truck Automatically Locked With The Keys In It & How To Unlock It&

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 Ahsmo

Ahsmo

Enthusiast

• 104 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:23 PM

My truck sabotaged me! My cousins and I went out to their hunting ranch to try to take care of a hog problem. We pulled up and got out to unload our buggy off the trailer. I took the keys out of the ignition and set them in the cup holder. We were about 20 miles from town out in them middle of the Trinity River bottom. As soon as I got out and shut the door, beep!!!! I tried to call Onstar but they said they couldn't help me because I wasn't paying for the service even though I was willing to start paying for the service.

My extra set of keys were 100 miles away. So getting those was totally out of the question. I had to come up with a way to get out of the situation. So this is what I did:

1. Remove the radio antenna.

2. Break off the ball on the end of the antenna. This was the hard part. It takes a few minutes to bend the antenna back and forth enough to break it off.

3. Bend the end of the antenna into a small hook.

4. Put the tool into gap between the front door and the truck cab. The gap is at the top of the door on the very rightmost side of the driver's side door.

5. Fish the tool around until it is inside the truck.

6. Push the tool down until it is right above the door lock.

7. Now push the hooked end of the antenna BEHIND the lock and into the door panel.

8. Once it is in there and hooked pretty well, pull up. The door should be unlocked.

I managed to not scratch up the truck. I did ruin the way the antenna looks but it still works until I get another one. As for why the truck automatically locked? I have no idea. I even did it again to see if I could get it to repeat.
2008 Crew Cab | Purple? | Vortec Max | LTZ | Blackbear tune | Bilstein 5100 front and back | Flowmaster 70 series | Gutted Bose subwoofer

#2 snakedoctor

snakedoctor

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,395 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:28 PM

Doors will not lock with keys in the ignition. YOU take the keys out of the ignition, and don't put them in your pocket, the truck has no way of knowing were the keys are. The doors will lock if someone pushes the lock button or hits the lock on the fob.

Edited by dlstewart01, 18 October 2009 - 12:29 PM.

#3 FiremanSIERRA_08

FiremanSIERRA_08

Enthusiast

• 263 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 12:34 PM

That is one of the reasons why I pay 20 dollars a month. My truck has locked the doors without me doing it. The thing that scares me the most is it locking and my son still in the truck. Its a small price to pay for insuring if something happened.

Edited by FiremanSIERRA_08, 18 October 2009 - 12:36 PM.

#4 56kz2slow

56kz2slow

Enthusiast

• 120 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:12 PM

You can set your doors to autolock or not. If they are set to autolock, that's what they do. You can play with the locking options in the control center.

I enabled that option the other day to see how it works and left it on. I will disable it. I always lock my doors as a reflex, so don't need that feature which could just come to haunt me like it did with you.

I thought road side assistance covered you for locked keys.

#5 06MonteSS

06MonteSS

Enthusiast

• 217 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:18 PM

now that's funny right there - I don't care who ya are!!

hahaha...

sorry man, but it is kinda funny...

06MonteSS
2014 Camaro SS - 2SS, RS pkg., perf. short-throw shifter, NPP perf. exhaust, BMR strut-tower brace, Cold Air Inductions, Inc. cold air intake
Email: [email protected]

#6 uh6tdrvr

uh6tdrvr

Enthusiast

• 807 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 03:26 PM

DIC function. You can change it in the settings.
-09 Pontiac G8 GT Panther Black with Black leather,
-09 C/C Z71, 5.3 with the 6 speed, the 4WD varient, silver birch
DIC upgrade, Extang Tonneau, 3M undercoated rear fender wells,
ARE Cap,DDM 55W 5K's
Cooper ST Maxx 275 70 18s, Rough Country 2" Front/3" RC Rear Block (39 3/8 Front, 40 5/8 Rear)
Plasti-dip and painted Z71 Wheels, rear bumper (guess i will see how it holds up)

#7 gave20

gave20

----------------^

• 1,772 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:52 PM

I hide a spare key in the bed for such occasions.

sometimes I pick up butterflys and wipe the dust off their wings so they can't fly. Then I stick them to my shirt and pretend they are there because they like me.

Posted Image Posted Image
2004 GMC 2500LD ext cab SLT
Mods: denali door handles, running boards, amber DRLs, Wait4me Blackbear tune

#8 Bill in Niantic

Bill in Niantic

Enthusiast

• 171 posts
  • Name:Bill Morey
  • Drives:2009 Siliverado EC

Posted 18 October 2009 - 04:57 PM

I though about this when I bought my truck in May.

I don’t want to pay for On Star after the free year. I went to my local UBS lumber store where they have a pretty good lock smith that makes the Keys.

The truck doesn’t have a specific “marker” key because they are chip keys. But we found one that will fit the door and the ignition, but will NOT start the truck. Fine with me. I just want to get in the door to get the keys I locked inside it.

I bought one of those magnetic key “Hide-a way” boxes and store the key in an accessible area that isn’t obvious.

So it works fine and cost less than $10.00 for the key and the Hide a Box.

:jester:

#9 jjrobo

jjrobo

Enthusiast

• 99 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 06:08 PM

I did this in my work truck (2009 HD) yesterday morning. I used a piece of brazing rod and pushed the unlock button.
2004 1500 Silverado, Ext. Cab Z71

#10 BuckFeverZ

BuckFeverZ

My Truck's Made With Wrenches Not Chopsticks

• 4,162 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 08:52 PM

Instead of paying $20 a month for OnStar, go to the hardware store and get a key made up. It won't start the truck, but it will open the doors if you lock the keys inside.

2011 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD

6.0 / Flowmaster Super 44 / 33" Goodyear Duratrac's

#11 deyomatic

deyomatic

Enthusiast

• 86 posts

Posted 18 October 2009 - 10:29 PM

So it sounds like you're saying there's always a kid inside... ;)

It seems like a pretty foolish feature, if you ask me...if I WANT the doors locked, it's easy enough to do it...why do I need the vehicle to do it for me? Are we really that lazy? How about putting the time it took to design and implement that technology into making the truck as good as it can be, instead of foolish gimmicks that'll probably end up infuriating future owners someday...

#12 DV2000NJ

DV2000NJ

Pickle Power!

• 10,033 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 12:49 AM

I just keep a spare in my wallet... The chances of both my wallet, AND my keys getting locked in the truck are pretty slim. :D

Posted Image
2000 Silverado 4x4
| 2006 LQ4 | 216/224 .561/.568 114 | 44lb. injectors | OBX LTs | Magnaflow Hi-Flow cats | 3" Borla XR1 | Yank TT3000 | FLT Level 5 4L65 | Lowered 2.5/4 |

Click it >>>>13.282 @ 99.96 | 1.828 60'

#13 LaCeS OuT

LaCeS OuT

Enthusiast

• 161 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 08:52 AM

I just keep a spare in my wallet... The chances of both my wallet, AND my keys getting locked in the truck are pretty slim. :D

Me too, always have and it has come in handy quite a few times.

1999 GMC Yukon SLT 5.7L
Posted Image
Volant CAI | Magnaflow 18" Mufflers | 2.5" H-Pipe | Blackbear Tune
Vette Servo | 20" GMC Wheels | Timbren SES Kit | Addco Sway Bars

#14 duckhunter71

duckhunter71

Resident Quackhead

• 952 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:18 AM

My wallet stays in my truck all the time.. I had a spare in my wallet with my older trucks, but I don't really need it with me when I'm in the office all day, so it stays out there. Thank goodness I have an OnStar subscription. Sure it costs ya, but I like the automatic airbag deployment notification. I spend a lot of time on the road in sparsely populated areas so if something were to happen, I like knowing somebody would know even if nobody immediately around me were to see it happen or come up on it.

#15 slomo007

slomo007

Enthusiast

• 872 posts

Posted 19 October 2009 - 09:26 AM

Why did OnStar refuse to activate membership and then unlock the doors for you?
2007 Silverado LT1 Z71~Blackbear Tuned~RC Leveling Kit~3M Protective Film on Hood and Bumper Corners~Truxedo LoPro QT Tonneau~Raptor Step Bars~Mamba M3 Wheels~265/70/18 Revos~PIAA H11 Headlights~GMPP Performance Exhaust~Painted Front Bowtie~Removed Rear Bowtie~LED Interior Lights~GM Stainless Door Sill Covers~CoverKing Neoprene Seat Covers

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users