Truck Automatically Locked With The Keys In It & How To Unlock It&

My truck sabotaged me! My cousins and I went out to their hunting ranch to try to take care of a hog problem. We pulled up and got out to unload our buggy off the trailer. I took the keys out of the ignition and set them in the cup holder. We were about 20 miles from town out in them middle of the Trinity River bottom. As soon as I got out and shut the door, beep!!!! I tried to call Onstar but they said they couldn't help me because I wasn't paying for the service even though I was willing to start paying for the service.

My extra set of keys were 100 miles away. So getting those was totally out of the question. I had to come up with a way to get out of the situation. So this is what I did:

1. Remove the radio antenna.

2. Break off the ball on the end of the antenna. This was the hard part. It takes a few minutes to bend the antenna back and forth enough to break it off.

3. Bend the end of the antenna into a small hook.

4. Put the tool into gap between the front door and the truck cab. The gap is at the top of the door on the very rightmost side of the driver's side door.

5. Fish the tool around until it is inside the truck.

6. Push the tool down until it is right above the door lock.

7. Now push the hooked end of the antenna BEHIND the lock and into the door panel.

8. Once it is in there and hooked pretty well, pull up. The door should be unlocked.

I managed to not scratch up the truck. I did ruin the way the antenna looks but it still works until I get another one. As for why the truck automatically locked? I have no idea. I even did it again to see if I could get it to repeat.

You can set your doors to autolock or not. If they are set to autolock, that's what they do. You can play with the locking options in the control center.

I enabled that option the other day to see how it works and left it on. I will disable it. I always lock my doors as a reflex, so don't need that feature which could just come to haunt me like it did with you.

I thought road side assistance covered you for locked keys.

I though about this when I bought my truck in May.

I don’t want to pay for On Star after the free year. I went to my local UBS lumber store where they have a pretty good lock smith that makes the Keys.

The truck doesn’t have a specific “marker” key because they are chip keys. But we found one that will fit the door and the ignition, but will NOT start the truck. Fine with me. I just want to get in the door to get the keys I locked inside it.

I bought one of those magnetic key “Hide-a way” boxes and store the key in an accessible area that isn’t obvious.

So it works fine and cost less than $10.00 for the key and the Hide a Box.

:jester:

So it sounds like you're saying there's always a kid inside... ;)

It seems like a pretty foolish feature, if you ask me...if I WANT the doors locked, it's easy enough to do it...why do I need the vehicle to do it for me? Are we really that lazy? How about putting the time it took to design and implement that technology into making the truck as good as it can be, instead of foolish gimmicks that'll probably end up infuriating future owners someday...

My wallet stays in my truck all the time.. I had a spare in my wallet with my older trucks, but I don't really need it with me when I'm in the office all day, so it stays out there. Thank goodness I have an OnStar subscription. Sure it costs ya, but I like the automatic airbag deployment notification. I spend a lot of time on the road in sparsely populated areas so if something were to happen, I like knowing somebody would know even if nobody immediately around me were to see it happen or come up on it.

Archived