01 Silverado Normal Operating Temp

I had the thermostat fail on my 01 Silverado 5.3L so I replaced it yesterday and am doing cooling system flush. Running straight water right now to make sure I have no leaks.

Just was wondering, does this look like normal operating temp for this truck:

2dlkvu1.jpg

the t-stat is rated around 195 degrees

The thermostat is 186 degrees and the indication looks normal. Unless you're planning on getting all of the water out of the block don't use the 50/50 mix....go w/ straight antifreeze until you get to half your cooling system capacity and then top it off w/ water if needed. Stick w/ dexcool as well.

the t-stat is rated around 195 degrees

The thermostat is 186 degrees and the indication looks normal. Unless you're planning on getting all of the water out of the block don't use the 50/50 mix....go w/ straight antifreeze until you get to half your cooling system capacity and then top it off w/ water if needed. Stick w/ dexcool as well.

Big +1

Wow...no one dished dexcool?

Dexcool is good stuff.

The key issue is to not let any air into the system. Never never never let the overflow tank get low.

P.S. it is not my intent here to start (i.e. continue) the controversy.

go w/ straight antifreeze until you get to half your cooling system capacity and then top it off w/ water if needed.

A very common mistake is to just buy the premix (50/50) to fill the system. You won't have 50/50 when finished. You gotta start with the 100% first for the first 50% of capacity.

Archived