Tow/haul Not Working

Today i just noticed on my 01 2500hd that my tow/haul isnt coming on now. Ive never had this happen before and am curious to know if anyone has ever seen this and if so how do i fix it. I dont know the first place to look for something like this. I tried it thinking maybe the bulb burnt but it just doesnt work at all. I fo alot of heavy hauling so id like to fix this asap. Any help would be great!

Have you checked the orange wire in the steering column that runs to the switch. It has a tendency to break and then the switch doesn't work. I fixed mine with a splice connector and some heat shrink tubing.

Edited by Hammer2785

Tow/Haul Switch/Indicator Always On or Inoperative

4L60/4L60-E/4L65-E Transmission

post-39679-1256422081_thumb.png

Circuit Description

Tow/haul mode enables the operator to achieve enhanced shift performance when towing or hauling a load. When tow/haul mode is selected, the tow/haul switch input signal to the body control module (BCM) is momentarily toggled to zero volts. This signals the powertrain control module (PCM) to extend the length of time between upshifts and increase transmission line pressure. Cycling the tow/haul switch again disables tow/haul mode and returns the transmission to a normal shift pattern.

Diagnostic Aids

If the electrical circuit tests are OK and the tow/haul shift pattern is not occurring, there may be a mechanical/hydraulic condition that prevents tow/haul operation. Refer to Symptoms - Automatic Transmission.

post-39679-1256422245_thumb.png

post-39679-1256422270_thumb.png

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2. This step tests for a faulty tow/haul switch.

3. This step tests for voltage input from the BCM to the tow/haul switch.

6. This step tests for voltage through the body wiring harness junction block.

7. This step tests for ground integrity at the splice pack.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

4L80-E/4L85-E Transmission

post-39679-1256433098_thumb.png

Circuit Description

Tow/haul mode enables the operator to achieve enhanced shift performance when towing or hauling load. When tow/haul mode is selected, the tow/haul switch input signal to the body control module (BCM) is momentarily toggled to zero volts. This signals the powertrain control module (PCM) to extend the length of time between upshifts and increase transmission line pressure. Cycling the tow/haul switch again disables tow/haul mode and returns the transmission to a normal shift pattern.

Diagnostic Aids

If the electrical circuit checks are OK and the tow/haul shift pattern is not occurring, there may be a mechanical/hydraulic condition that prevents tow/haul operation. Refer to Symptoms - Automatic Transmission.

post-39679-1256433128_thumb.png

post-39679-1256433151_thumb.png

Test Description

The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table.

2. This step tests for a faulty tow/haul switch.

3. This step tests for voltage input from the BCM to the tow/haul switch.

6. This step tests for voltage through the body wiring harness junction block.

7. This step tests for ground integrity at the splice pack.

Edited by tjg79
  • Like 2

• 2 years later...

Same thing happened to me a few months back. It was the wires coming out of the shifter. If you take the covers off your steering column, it is plain as day which wires we are talking about. Mine was a very obvious break. The wires for this area should have a lot more protection around this area. GM flaw..... If you follow the wires on down it as its own connector. Take the connector apart and one bolt and you can put the entire assembly on your workbench to resolder or fix it. If I were to rate the difficulty of this, I would put it in the beginner category. I had more of a challenge trying to figure out how the covers unsnapped from each other than anything else.

• 1 year later...

Tow/Haul not turning on. Pryed steering column covers apart just enough to see the two small white cables wrapped in a orange sleeve cut in half like Hammer2785 said. I also spliced the two wires and wrapped in electrical tape. Tow/Haul now works!!!

I ran into this about two months ago, I spliced the wiring myself but being that it's stranded and like 26awg the splice didn't last. A brand new shifter with the tow/haul mode etc cost a whole 60 bucks. Just removed the old shifter and popped the new on in place. Figure for the cost of an oil change i'll mark it up to maintenance.

• 4 months later...

If the steering column wires are the problem; it also could be your brake pedal switch as well. They have been known to give out from time to time.

Totally disregard this post, I was thinking cruise control...brake light switch and tow/haul have nothing to do with each other...my apologies.

Edited by 06SierraZ71
Pulled my head...

Not the steering column switch or harness. Check them visibly and with continuity light. Tell me more about the brake pedal switch. Is it part of the stop light switch or a separate device? When I push on the tow haul button the indicator on the cluster is on but it has no effect on the transmission. Loaded or unloaded at any speed. It hasn't worked since I got the truck. The dealer said it is just fine. Quote .."It is operating within the parameters set by GM for that truck that year" I have driven other 09 Silverado's and they work just fine. Mine is a 1500 WT 4.8. Did GM tamper with them in an effort to raise fleet mileage numbers or for some other reason. If so what can be done? I bought this truck to tow an RV so the tow haul is important. Thanks..Ziffel

Not the steering column switch or harness. Check them visibly and with continuity light. Tell me more about the brake pedal switch. Is it part of the stop light switch or a separate device? When I push on the tow haul button the indicator on the cluster is on but it has no effect on the transmission. Loaded or unloaded at any speed. It hasn't worked since I got the truck. The dealer said it is just fine. Quote .."It is operating within the parameters set by GM for that truck that year" I have driven other 09 Silverado's and they work just fine. Mine is a 1500 WT 4.8. Did GM tamper with them in an effort to raise fleet mileage numbers or for some other reason. If so what can be done? I bought this truck to tow an RV so the tow haul is important. Thanks..Ziffel

Don't start with a conspiracy theory , if the tow haul doesn't work then there is a DTC ,, it may be a pressure change , if some one can get a description and operation for him and post it , that would be great,

The reason I ask is I don't have access on my tablet on vaca , I don't want to guess as to the programming change during the tow/haul operation

Edited by govtech4

Diagnostic Trouble Code ,

Someone should supply descrip and operation , it either changes shift points or adjusts transmission oil pressure to hold clutches stronger

You can purchase Alldata.com for $27/yr

here we go. :smash:

tow haul 3.pdf

tow haul.pdf

tow haul 2.pdf

tow haul 3.pdf

tow haul.pdf

tow haul 2.pdf

tow haul 3.pdf

tow haul.pdf

tow haul 2.pdf

tow haul 3.pdf