[gmt900] Disabling Auto Doors Lock

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#31 bowtie0129

bowtie0129

Enthusiast

• 91 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 08:16 PM

Like I said, seconds count. Let's say firefighters aren't there yet and all you've got are some good samaritans.....a window might stand in their way....people are either timid, scared or just don't know what their doing (and a lot of windows are tinted, which will keep the glass intact like when a windshield is broken). What if the thing is on fire?? Don't tell me if given the choice you'd rather be locked inside your wrecked possibly burning vehicle than not...??? If this was such a safety feature, every car on the road would have it...and yet they don't. Mercedes actually designs their latches and strikers to break open during an impact so emergency personnel can get you out as quickly as possible. You like it, I don't, I should at least be given a choice...rather than it being shoved down my throat. I'd like to hear of an example where this "feature" has actually made someone say "Man, if those auto locks hadn't been there....whew!"
2005 Silverado 1500 LS 5.3
Fully optioned
Victory Red
SWB 2wd

GMPP CAI, Flowmaster 40 Delta turn downs, Pro Built Automatics/TransGo shift kit w/ Corvette servo, Blackbear Tune, Bilstein HD shocks, Line-X, Tint, Debadged/no side moldings, Painted front bumper cap, shaved tailgate "spoiler", Carriage Works cut-in billet grille, Xenon Depot HIDs, Hella LED/CELIS tail lights and high mount, Hummer H2 white face gauge conversion, 2 JL 10W3 subs with JL 500/1 amp

To come:
Custom headliner w/ console gauges, Tonneau cover, Hooker longtubes w/ mandrel bent custom exhaust and true duals, Comp 216/220 cam with rockers, springs, timing chain etc, 3.73s w/ Detroit Truetrac, MSD wires, Custom engine cover, etc etc etc

#32 BigBlueSilvy

BigBlueSilvy

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,041 posts

Posted 29 October 2009 - 10:49 PM

if someone actually attempts to see if the door is locked, i dont see them walking away and leaving the person in the car. if a door is locked or unlocked doesnt matter if the person wont even get near the car- which is what most people do unfortunately.

what does the mercedes system have to do with the doors being locked in the first place? that system is rendered useless if the doors are unlocked from the beginning and say you get ejected. to me its safer to drive with the doors locked.
2005 Chevy Silverado Z-71
2009 Arctic Cat Mud Pro 700

#33 Amtz.Zero

Amtz.Zero

^^My reaction when I saw my truck for the first time.^^

• 976 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 01:02 PM

What if you're stopped at a redlight and some guy goes up to your truck and tries to open the door and carjack you? Those locked doors are pretty convenient, right? I know if he has a gun or something, it won't matter but at least he won't open the door and you have the chance to slam your foot on the gas pedal and get the hell out of there. I don't know but I like having the doors locked when I'm driving, but that's just me. :dunno:
Posted Image 2004 GMC Sierra
4.8L V8- Flowmaster Super 40- GMT900 Yukon wheels

>>>BlackBear Tuned>>>

#34 Taz107

Taz107

Enthusiast

• 57 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:31 PM

You're in a bad wreck, the battery is disconnected and all the strength you have left is to grab the door handle and open the door, but wait, the doors are locked so the handle does nothing, the battery is disconnected, so pushing the button does nothing...you now have to manually (potentially in the dark, in water or upside-down) find the manual lock release...no thanks...I'll just disconnect the auto locks...

A compromise would be to leave the auto locks, but allow the interior door handle to override the lock and always open the door...ever tried to get out in a hurry and end up almost ripping the door handle off? GM's had auto locks in the early 90's and people complained about them then, no one listen or care?

FYI another option...VW's all come with this now...
"Intelligent crash response system. Once a certain severity of crash is detected, all doors are automatically unlocked, the battery terminal is automatically disconnected from the alternator cable, fuel supply is automatically shut off, warning hazards are automatically switched on, and high consumption electrical components are automatically shut off."

It's too bad GM couldn't be a leader in some of this technology...
Posted Image
2009 GMC Sierra SLE Z71 5.3L Crewcab Steel Grey
MODS:
2" Rough Country Level, 3" Ready-Lift Blocks, 3" Zone Offroad Body Lift, GM 5" Oval Side steps
20X9 Gear Recoil Wheels, 305/55/20 Cooper Zeon LTZ's, Truxedo Low Pro QT Tonneau Cover, 20% Tint Front Windows, Magnaflow cat-back system

#35 Nick The Great

Nick The Great

One bourbon, one scotch, and one beer

• 2,242 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 02:38 PM

If you ONLY have the strength to open the door, but not enough to pull the unlock tab, you're doomed anyway. I haven't run the calcs, but I bet the human body uses more energy to step out the door, swim to shore, or call/shout for help.

There are probably holes in my reasoning, such has having only the exact amount strength left required to open door, walk away from car, and call 911.

:D :dunno: :P
BLUE TRUCKS RULE!!!!!

2007 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 1LT, CCSB
5.3L V8 Flex Fuel w/ AFM | 4 x 4 | Blackbear Performance Tune
Spray in Bedliner | Boards to Come | Tonneau to come?

her ride: 2007 Chevrolet Impala LS
3.5L V6 Flex Fuel
Bone stock FTW!

Posted Image

#36 bowtie0129

bowtie0129

Enthusiast

• 91 posts

Posted 30 October 2009 - 06:04 PM

I'm not saying people don't have the right to like auto locks. If you like them, great. But, those who don't like them should be given a choice. That's all I'm saying.
2005 Silverado 1500 LS 5.3
Fully optioned
Victory Red
SWB 2wd

GMPP CAI, Flowmaster 40 Delta turn downs, Pro Built Automatics/TransGo shift kit w/ Corvette servo, Blackbear Tune, Bilstein HD shocks, Line-X, Tint, Debadged/no side moldings, Painted front bumper cap, shaved tailgate "spoiler", Carriage Works cut-in billet grille, Xenon Depot HIDs, Hella LED/CELIS tail lights and high mount, Hummer H2 white face gauge conversion, 2 JL 10W3 subs with JL 500/1 amp

To come:
Custom headliner w/ console gauges, Tonneau cover, Hooker longtubes w/ mandrel bent custom exhaust and true duals, Comp 216/220 cam with rockers, springs, timing chain etc, 3.73s w/ Detroit Truetrac, MSD wires, Custom engine cover, etc etc etc

#37 STex

STex

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,254 posts
  • Drives:09 SLT CC 4x4

Posted 07 December 2009 - 11:13 AM

Update: was at dealer for oil change (bring own oil and filter and change is only $11.00) and showed them the notice. We tried it and it does not work on my 09 like the guy with the 06 said. You do not get a third option of off. Mine shows an on and off only and the on will not auto lock the doors. So no auto lock on any setting now. I will have them recheck it on next trip but does not seem to add the third option of off on the 09s. Living on the edge, no autolock!

#38 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 01:48 PM

What really sucks is that not only does my truck have the auto-lock which I can't disable, but the Clifford Alarm & Remote Start also does the auto lock/unlock as well so it will try to lock twice, and unlock twice :uhoh: Even with the auto Un-lock disabled with the dash thingie buttons. Apparently the module that the alarm system needs to use to interact with the truck's computer does all that stuff.
Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#39 jdubya

jdubya

Enthusiast

• 713 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 04:13 PM

What really sucks is that not only does my truck have the auto-lock which I can't disable, but the Clifford Alarm & Remote Start also does the auto lock/unlock as well so it will try to lock twice, and unlock twice :uhoh: Even with the auto Un-lock disabled with the dash thingie buttons. Apparently the module that the alarm system needs to use to interact with the truck's computer does all that stuff.

You should be able to disable that feature on the clifford alarm. I would think... I am more familiar with the viper alarms and remote starts and they are not set up do do this by default...
07 Chevy Silverado LT 4.8L 1500
NCD Customs 2.5" Leveling Kit, 3" ReadyLift Rear Block Kit | 20% Front Window Tint | Fold-A-Cover G4 Elite Tonneau Cover | Kennwood Double DIN Navi/Multimedia System with MB Quart Component Speakers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users