Looking For Constant +12v At The Rear End

I'm working on installing some LED strip lights under my bed rails to light up my bed at night when I am trying to get something out of it. I am looking for a constant 12V DC supply near the rear of the box but I can't seem to find any so far. If I can't find it I may just wire it up to come on with my exit lightning. Any suggestions?

Factory trailer harness wiring has 12V hot all the time once you put the fuze in (assuming you have factory trailer connector).

Been thinking that this would be good for under a tonneau cover, but afraid of killing the battery by leaving it on (and not seeing that it's on due to cover) Been occasionally looking for a momentary switch on a timer that keeps the lights on for no more than 20 min, or shuts 'em off with a second push of the button. Stuff like this exists.....just haven't found it yet in a weather-tight package.

I dont want it with the cargo lights as I would like to be able to use it without going inside the cab.

The LED strip lights do not use very much power at all so I don't think it would be a huge issue if they were to be left on overnight, but I just plan on double checking that it is off all the time. I also thought about the time delay so it would just stay on for a short period of time but I don't know where you could mount one as they usually aren't that small. Do you know which wire the fuse would be on? Like for what function of the trailer plug?

the brown wire in your trailer harness plug should work. it controls running lights for a trailer. check it with a rest light, and turn on your park lights, and if good wire it in.. this way when you turn off the lights the LEDs go off..

good luck

:thumbs:

Did you hook up the wire taped in the harness to stud 1? That feeds the power connector.

Here, Read this all the way thru. It explains everything, including where the wire is.

If all you want is power, just skip everyting but the fuse and the wire that is in the harness between the fuse box and the engine. ( The stud 1 wire is the one you got the blue line drawn to, but you got to hook it up)

GMT900 Brake Controller install

Its a PDF, takes a minute to load.

C

• 3 months later...

I need the +12vdc for the interior light on my truck cap.

Thanks compulynx. I found the wire between the fender and fuse panel. I was scratching my head until I gave up for the night. I had no idea there was a second wire. Why would both wires be exactly the same colour? Your PDF saved me. Thanks again

Ted

I tried adding a fuse where the red arrow is but it appears it only supplies power to the stud with the blue arrow, it did not show a constant 12V

I got my lights mounted up seems to work pretty good so far.

as they stated, there is a wire under the master cylinder taped up, take that wire and put in on the stud that you identified, you'll have to get a nut to tighten it down but that will give you everything you are looking for.

Archived