Front Door Speakers Stopped Working?

JCARP4483

Question

About 3 months ago my front door speakers quit working. Drivers and passanger side. I thought it might be a short in the Front input on the CD player. Well the tweeters still work when i fade to the front which tells me that they are hooked into the Front input as well. My question is are these speakers on seperate inputs or is it possible both my front speakers blew at the same time. up to 3 weeks after this they would randomly kick on and off and didnt sound busted and played fine. Turn my truck off and next time i turn it on they are not working. I have a little audio knowledge but i am at a loss on this one?

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exact same thing happened to me coming home from work this past friday night. So far I've just adjusted settings to where the sound audio is mainly coming from the back and slightly from the front tweeters for temporary purposes. I'm thinking about taking it into the dealers, but wanted to do a little research first. Keep me posted man with the outcome. It would be greatly appreciated.

By the way i have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 with approx. 20k miles

About 3 months ago my front door speakers quit working. Drivers and passanger side. I thought it might be a short in the Front input on the CD player. Well the tweeters still work when i fade to the front which tells me that they are hooked into the Front input as well. My question is are these speakers on seperate inputs or is it possible both my front speakers blew at the same time. up to 3 weeks after this they would randomly kick on and off and didnt sound busted and played fine. Turn my truck off and next time i turn it on they are not working. I have a little audio knowledge but i am at a loss on this one?

Thanks sparkstech and the second part to which you answered should have been a comma. I didnt mean i posted it in the tech section cause it wasnt a bose system but to find out if the 2 were seperate outputs. I read it twice and it does come off like that and i agree with the name has nothing to do with the knowledge of the situation. I really do appreciate the help. So if i understand right there can be only one cut wire that will make both speakers not work. Thanks again JC

G-Mizzle or JCARP,

This thread describes exactly what I've got going on with my '06 Silverado. Only back right speaker working...the other three were intermittent for a couple of weeks, but now they're basically dead, only very faint sound coming from them.

Have either of you figured anything out? I plan on ripping into the wiring this weekend, but was hoping one of you had a breakthrough.

Thanks.

Yeah, and with as many miles as you have on your truck already I would bet its broken in the drivers door wire loom. That's the door you open and shut most often.

when you hit a bump or something hard enough the wire lifts off the metal, and the next time you start the truck the speakers work, than it falls back on the metal and stops again.

Just pull your speakers out and test them by hooking them up to any home stereo with speaker wire jacks at the back...just to make sure they work fine. Also look for water damage on them.

Than attach a multimeter to one wire with the other side attached to a ground point and set the meter on continuity test. Than jiggle the wire around. Than do it with the other 3 wires for the front speakers.

Also, test both wires in each side for continuity with each other.

That will get you started...if you cant find a problem this way...you may have to pull the dash and stereo and meter the whole wire for continuity fro the plug to the speaker.

You can also check for voltage at the speaker inputs.

Thanks sparkstech and the second part to which you answered should have been a comma. I didnt mean i posted it in the tech section cause it wasnt a bose system but to find out if the 2 were seperate outputs. I read it twice and it does come off like that and i agree with the name has nothing to do with the knowledge of the situation. I really do appreciate the help. So if i understand right there can be only one cut wire that will make both speakers not work. Thanks again JC

Correct a broken wire on the left can cause an issue with the right and vice versa.

Yeah, and with as many miles as you have on your truck already I would bet its broken in the drivers door wire loom. That's the door you open and shut most often.

when you hit a bump or something hard enough the wire lifts off the metal, and the next time you start the truck the speakers work, than it falls back on the metal and stops again.

Just pull your speakers out and test them by hooking them up to any home stereo with speaker wire jacks at the back...just to make sure they work fine. Also look for water damage on them.

Than attach a multimeter to one wire with the other side attached to a ground point and set the meter on continuity test. Than jiggle the wire around. Than do it with the other 3 wires for the front speakers.

Also, test both wires in each side for continuity with each other.

That will get you started...if you cant find a problem this way...you may have to pull the dash and stereo and meter the whole wire for continuity fro the plug to the speaker.

You can also check for voltage at the speaker inputs.

I would start on the left side too for the same reason. I would stay away from using a speaker that doesn't match the system for testing. A speaker with the wrong impedence can throw you off. I would do the voltage testing instead of the resistance to gnd check because an open wire will cause the same issue as a grounded one here.

Yes i did each wire to a ground on both sides and that is where i got the numbers listed above. I pulled the door rubber piece back but the wires were taped with plastic wrap around them so i didnt get a chance to look at it due to darkness. But i will fix my wire problem on the left when i find it and then see if the right fixes or not. Thanks again guys.

If that doesn't fix the other side it will be easy enough, since you have it all apart, to just take the left speaker and swap it with the right to see if it is the speaker or not.

but both speakers at the same time? that is whats got me dumbfounded. I would agree with that if maybe just one stopped. But both i mean did the little gremlins get in there and cut just those 2 wires?

Gremlins only have to cut one wire to pull that channel down. With the radio on, if you ground a volt meter and touch the other side to any front speaker wire you should have 5.0-7.5 volts DC. If a wire doesn't have it you are on to the problem, you can hunt from there.

No on the bose system and thats why i posted in the teck section and not in the audio section trying to see if someone knew if it is the same output or not. Before i go tearing into the dash

GM installs a Bose system in this from the factory, it is every bit as common for us to diagnose a Bose system as any other. The big name doesn't make it any more difficult. You didn't include a vin or any option codes, I only even see a vehicle model in your profile, nowhere in your question. Never the less they are all pretty much the same on an 08 so check the voltages.

Archived