2500hd - Tire Pressure

Hey guys..

Just picked up my 2009 Black 2500HD Crew Long Bed SLE Duramax on Friday.. Got the roof markers on it, had them add side steps - Chrome on the black truck looks awesome - and had them put a spray in liner in it.

Talked to the dealer - got BFG ALL TERRAIN - 285x75x16's on it, and they had to level the front torsions 1.5 inches to level the truck out but did it for me..

So I get into the truck to take off, and check the tire pressure gauges on the dash - got in the habit with the 07 Sierra 1500 - I had - that one had 97K on it, and was losing a quart of oil every 2000 miles, so I traded it instead of screwing with it - another story for another day...

Anyways - I check the guages - and 58 front, 74 rear.. Check the door and it says 60 front, 80 rear, so OK.. BUT - I get out and check the sidewalls of the tire and find out they're D rated (? don't know why they did that - DOH!) So - technically the tires are overinflated, in the rear anyways.. As far as the load rating on the tires states (65).

So - do I leave it alone? Knowing that it's going to wear in the center of the tires? Or - do I drop the back tires down to 58, and run them like that.

I don't use the truck that much to tow with, mostly road miles, 700 a week - so I only load the truck up about 5 times a year.

By the way - the 285's look awesome - and a little rubbing when I crank the wheel all the way, but not horrible. And that's WITH the 1.5" in the front.

What 'load range' does the label on the door have? If it's saying 80psi for the rear tires, then it sounds like the truck originally came with load range E tires.

What 'load range' does the label on the door have? If it's saying 80psi for the rear tires, then it sounds like the truck originally came with load range E tires.

Oh - It says "E" - I was going to bitch, but they forgot to bill me for the swap from the 245's ($680 they told me it would be), so I figured I wouldn't make too much noise.

... I never like to 'downgrade' the recommended tire rating for my truck

... you may have got a good deal on those 'D' rated tires, but you now have to realize that the load capacity of the tires is much less than the original requirements stated by GM for safe handling and load carrying in your HD truck...

... DO NOT exceed the tire pressure stamped on the sidewall of the tire

So they forgot to 'bill' you for $680.00, but they also got and installed the wrong tires for the truck. Problem being in about 2 years or less you are going to have to replace the tires again, because the ones that are now on it are the wrong ones. The biggest problem is if you ever have a problem with the tires when travelling and it causes damage to the truck (due to wrong size tires) the dealership can tell you to go pound salt and potentially not honour any warrenty claim regarding your tires/ suspension/ transmission.

Yes, YOU can re-program the computer for the different size and adjust the speedo and adjust the suspension so you do not have a rub.......which will cost you a few $$$ to do, or you can tell the dealership to get the RIGHT tires for the truck and not have to ever worry about it in the future.

The other concern is if you ever hook up a trailer (or any type) to the truck you will have to figure out the new safe towing load for the vehicle. I have a '08 2500HD and the difference to me (in load rated tires) is being actually and safely being able tow my fifth wheel.

Just my two cents.....get the right tires......you will be more happy in the long run. And you could use the truck for what it was designed for.

Running a "D" rated tire is okay because a "D" rated 285 has a higher weight rating than a 245 "E"; which came with the truck. You should be running 50PSI up front and 40-50PSI in the rear unloaded.

Yeah - That's why I didn't freak out..

245 E's are rated at 3042 @80PSI

285 D's are rated at 3305 @65PSI

I am running 58 all around, where did you get the 50 and 40/50 from? Just wondering.

Archived