Blend Door Actuator Problem

2003 GMC Sierra blowing hot air on driver side. Took out blend door actuator that controls driver side heat/air. Manually operated door and got cool air or hot air so door is not a problem. I am trying to figure if it is the actautor or the control. Took the actuator apart and checked motor with 9v battery and motor will turn both ways when hooking directly to motor leads. When I put it back together and hook battery to leads where it plugs in, it will only move one way. When I reverse polarity here, it will not turn back. When I hook it back up in the truck without connecting to the door where I can watch it, when I turn on the key it moves very little and then returns back and it will not respond by sliding the temp control at all. Also the light on the driver side temp control is out. Does this sound like the control unit or the actuator?

I would be looking at that actuator man, those things seem to go far more often (from my understanding) than control heads. I personally have had one go on my 04, it's getting ready to go again. (a bunch of cliicking noises).

The gearing in mine is fine and the motor seems to be fine. If you hook a battery to the motor leads the motor turns. Reverse leads and it turns the opposite way. But when you hook the battery to the pins on the actuator, the motor turns one way, but if you reverse the leads it will not turn back. It does not repond at all when hooked up and you slide the temp control. Just trying to figure if it is the circuit board in the actuator or maybe the temp control. It does get some power when you turn the key on it will move about a 1/8 of the turn and then goes back and will not move at all.

• 1 month later...
Also see this.. They also say never put power to the actuator without it being hooked up.......

http://chevroletforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22624

+1 on that one. I made that mistake and had to take mine apart and move the worm gear enough times for it to be within the operating range and then recalibrate the system.

• 1 year later...

Fellas, gotta give it to ya, the info on here was incredibly acurate and fixed my a/c issue with blowing hot air on driver's side and cold air on passanger side. ordered drivers side actuator off of amazon cheap and installations were clear on this site for install. Could'nt have done it with out ya boys!!! Thx a million!!!!

:):)

• 2 years later...

I had read earlier that grease migrates onto the contacts of the actuator, I pulled mine off and there was grease on the contacts and the area where the contact makes contact to the p.c. board. I cleaned the grease with q-tips and alcohol and put it back on and it is working fine now, just be careful to note where the notch is located on the outside cover before you pull it apart. since I have a 2004 GMC Sierra Denali I have the center console so it was a booger to get at the actuator, but I finally got it out. my actuator snapped together and some are held together with screws. since I imported my truck to Dubai where temperatures are triple digits from June through October having a cooling ac is a must. my Denali came with the quadrasteer options and does great in the narrow roads in urban Dubai and surrounding suburbs. it you have enough knowhow to remove it then you can save money by just cleaning the contacts, also DO NOT Operate this unit once removed it is calibrated so be careful to either mark you gears or take a photo to ensure you put them back in the same location, you only have to remove 2 gears the rest remain in place. good luck.

Okay, latest update, i just found the real problem of my A/C cooling system, the orifice tube inside my A/C system was cracked, thusly it was not regulating the flow of freon inside my system. this part cost between $ 1.98 to $ 8.00 +/-, however the system must be evacuated of freon before it can be checked, between the blend air actuator contact problem and a cracked / damaged / clogged orifice tube, i would consider those 2 items before replacing compressors and other major components. i also added dual electric fans to my truck since i am in Dubai, this made a world of difference. my A/C has not cooled this good since i purchased the vehicle. Since my truck was not initially set up for this type of environment i had 3 upgrades which saved my drive train.

(1) added larger radiator

(2) added independent B & M fan assisted Transmission and Engine Oil Coolers

(3) added dual electric fans on the radiator.

with temperatures well up into the 130 degree F range, this is imperative.

hope these tips help you out.

Archived