5 replies to this topic

#1 mbaee

mbaee

Enthusiast

• 77 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Drives:2009 Silverado LS CC

Posted 08 November 2009 - 10:05 PM

I've got a 2009 Silverado CCSB 4.8 1500 and I'm trying to install a Viper 5301 remote starter. Long story short (see below for the long story), neither factory key will start the truck and the security light is on solid. I checked all fuses and tried the 30-minute key reprogram. I tried a 20 minute battery disconnect to reset the computers.

It seems like the security system is locked in "stolen" mode or doesn't recognize my keys. Does anyone have any other ideas to avoid a trip to the dealer? The truck won't start and I'll have to get it towed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the story:
On Friday, I installed the DLPK bypass module and successfully programmed it. It worked fine Friday and Saturday. Today (Sunday) I tried to finish the install. I got everything hooked up, programmed the remotes and tested the door locks. Worked great! I tested the remote start and no dice. The light-flash error code said it was in manual transmission mode and some switch wasn't set. I rechecked my wiring and all looked good. I tried the key and that's where all my problems started.

When I turned the key, everything went dead. I couldn't even get the accessory position to work. I eventually disconnected my bypass module and reset to factory wiring. Now when I turn the key, the accessories come on but it won't start. The security light comes on solid.

After searching here and on Google, I found the 30-minute key re-learn procedure. It didn't work. I tried the bypass module again and same thing, all black. I reset to factory and same thing, security light and no crank. I tried to disconnect the battery for 20+ minutes and no change. I pulled every fuse under the hood and in the dash and check each one with a volt meter - they're all good.

As it stands now, I'm obviously taking the day off work tomorrow and calling the dealer. I'm guessing I'll have to get it towed there so they can look at it.

-- Matt
Posted Image
2009 Silverado LS Blue Granite Metallic
Mods | Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau | Billet Running Boards | Drop-in K&N Air Filter | Switched Accessory Outlet | Switched Hardwired Radar Detector | Under Tonneau Lights | OEM Tailgate Lock | Viper 5301 Remote Starter | Deezee EZDown | DIC Upgrade (Partial) | GM Bedrail Protectors | AVS Vent Shades | Billet Grille | DL3 mirrors | PowerGate Tailgate Lock | Weathertech Floorliners | Curt Receiver Hitch
Wishlist | Fog Lights | Scosche BFGM | OEM Backup Camera

#2 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 10:30 AM

This is why I let professionals install things like this.

I think your going in to the dealership, unless you can have a chat with an installer where you bought the kit, they probably ran into this problem before.
Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#3 mbaee

mbaee

Enthusiast

• 77 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Just to give everyone an update, it ended up being a blown fuse (2A "DLIS" under the hood) and the dealer said they had to reprogram the computer. I don't know how I missed the fuse, I thought I checked everything. At least the tow was free thanks to the roadside assistance :lol:

-- Matt
Posted Image
Mods | Extang Trifecta Signature Series Tonneau | Billet Running Boards | Drop-in K&N Air Filter | Switched Accessory Outlet | Switched Hardwired Radar Detector | Under Tonneau Lights | OEM Tailgate Lock | Viper 5301 Remote Starter | Deezee EZDown | DIC Upgrade (Partial) | GM Bedrail Protectors | AVS Vent Shades | Billet Grille | DL3 mirrors | PowerGate Tailgate Lock | Weathertech Floorliners | Curt Receiver Hitch

#4 Nytemare

Nytemare

Senior Enthusiast

• 4,417 posts

Posted 09 November 2009 - 08:10 PM

Its easy to overlook the obvious sometimes. It almost always has to be harder than a fuse...or so we think.
Posted Image

so you expected something that weights 5000 pounds and has aerodynamics of a piano to get what?

2003 Silverado XCSB, 4.8L, Flowmaster super44 SI/DO, G80 3.42, MSD Wires, K&N drop-in filter, Yellow Top Battery, Royal Purple in entire Drivetrain, W4M tune....My DD..............................SOLD
2010 Silverado XCSB 5.3L Z71 Summit White, Diablo Trinity tuned....more to come soon.
2010 Cobalt 2.2L LT 2Dr. Victory Red....gas saver/wife's Car.......SOLD
2011 Cruze 1.4L Turbo 1LT Crystal Red ...Again, Wifes car and gas saver
1978 LJ80, 16V 1600cc on 31's, Spring over lift, awaiting Full Frame off build...The Toy

#5 MCopps

MCopps

Enthusiast

• 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 06:01 PM

I think your going in to the dealership, unless you can have a chat with an installer where you bought the kit, they probably ran into this problem before.

I had Best Buy install my 5301 in the same truck as above. They had the same problem. Truck was there for 10 hours and the only reason they figured it out is because I suggested they check Google, which turned up these posts. They changed the fuse and it started. Now I have to take it back in tonight for them to redo the remote start install since they returned everything to stock wiring. Thanks for the info. If it wasn't for this thread my truck would probably be a permanent fixture in Best Buy's install bay.

#6 mbaee

mbaee

Enthusiast

• 77 posts

Posted 11 January 2011 - 07:39 PM

I had Best Buy install my 5301 in the same truck as above. They had the same problem. Truck was there for 10 hours and the only reason they figured it out is because I suggested they check Google, which turned up these posts. They changed the fuse and it started. Now I have to take it back in tonight for them to redo the remote start install since they returned everything to stock wiring. Thanks for the info. If it wasn't for this thread my truck would probably be a permanent fixture in Best Buy's install bay.

Wow. I can't believe it's been over a year since this happened. I'm glad I could help.
Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here