2009 Silverado Won't Start

mbaee

Question

I've got a 2009 Silverado CCSB 4.8 1500 and I'm trying to install a Viper 5301 remote starter. Long story short (see below for the long story), neither factory key will start the truck and the security light is on solid. I checked all fuses and tried the 30-minute key reprogram. I tried a 20 minute battery disconnect to reset the computers.

It seems like the security system is locked in "stolen" mode or doesn't recognize my keys. Does anyone have any other ideas to avoid a trip to the dealer? The truck won't start and I'll have to get it towed.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Here's the story:

On Friday, I installed the DLPK bypass module and successfully programmed it. It worked fine Friday and Saturday. Today (Sunday) I tried to finish the install. I got everything hooked up, programmed the remotes and tested the door locks. Worked great! I tested the remote start and no dice. The light-flash error code said it was in manual transmission mode and some switch wasn't set. I rechecked my wiring and all looked good. I tried the key and that's where all my problems started.

When I turned the key, everything went dead. I couldn't even get the accessory position to work. I eventually disconnected my bypass module and reset to factory wiring. Now when I turn the key, the accessories come on but it won't start. The security light comes on solid.

After searching here and on Google, I found the 30-minute key re-learn procedure. It didn't work. I tried the bypass module again and same thing, all black. I reset to factory and same thing, security light and no crank. I tried to disconnect the battery for 20+ minutes and no change. I pulled every fuse under the hood and in the dash and check each one with a volt meter - they're all good.

As it stands now, I'm obviously taking the day off work tomorrow and calling the dealer. I'm guessing I'll have to get it towed there so they can look at it.

-- Matt

0 answers to this question

This is why I let professionals install things like this.

I think your going in to the dealership, unless you can have a chat with an installer where you bought the kit, they probably ran into this problem before.

I had Best Buy install my 5301 in the same truck as above. They had the same problem. Truck was there for 10 hours and the only reason they figured it out is because I suggested they check Google, which turned up these posts. They changed the fuse and it started. Now I have to take it back in tonight for them to redo the remote start install since they returned everything to stock wiring. Thanks for the info. If it wasn't for this thread my truck would probably be a permanent fixture in Best Buy's install bay.

Wow. I can't believe it's been over a year since this happened. I'm glad I could help.

This is why I let professionals install things like this.

I think your going in to the dealership, unless you can have a chat with an installer where you bought the kit, they probably ran into this problem before.

I had Best Buy install my 5301 in the same truck as above. They had the same problem. Truck was there for 10 hours and the only reason they figured it out is because I suggested they check Google, which turned up these posts. They changed the fuse and it started. Now I have to take it back in tonight for them to redo the remote start install since they returned everything to stock wiring. Thanks for the info. If it wasn't for this thread my truck would probably be a permanent fixture in Best Buy's install bay.

Just to give everyone an update, it ended up being a blown fuse (2A "DLIS" under the hood) and the dealer said they had to reprogram the computer. I don't know how I missed the fuse, I thought I checked everything. At least the tow was free thanks to the roadside assistance :lol:

-- Matt

Archived