104 replies to this topic

#46 4wd

4wd

Enthusiast

• 480 posts

Posted 03 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Found this post on a another site:

02-21-10 04:12 PM - Post#1866822

Does anyone have access to GM TSB's? GM PIP #4499B, document #2365377, with either a late Nov. or early Dec. release date. A mechanic with the local Chevy dealer tells us that there is a serious problem with the hydraulic lifters in the '07--'09, and yet to be heard from the '10's. He says the 5.3 and 6.0 engines are effected as they have the same lifters. The problem is a "ticking/tapping: noise on cold start that progressively lasts longer with higher mileage. The local dealer is not sharing the TBS info with the mechanics. "Allegedly" there is a new lifter design being manufactured, but will not be available until mid/late March. My '07 5.3 does have a very minor start-up ticking noise, which goes away soon. Those TSB numbers are what he shared with me. He said they had a meeting with the area service rep who asked them to keep this "toned-down" to prevent a "Toyota pedal problem". Interesting, especially if this TSB exists. David

#47 7LitreC5

7LitreC5

Enthusiast

• 35 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

My dealer has replaced my lifters twice and it still ticks on cold startup. The last time in January they replaced the cam, cam phaser, all lifters, a push rod, and all rocker arms. They actually pulled the engine and tore it down per the GM tech center. Now it still ticks and has a nice big oil leak.

Does anyone have access to GM TSB's? GM PIP #4499B, document #2365377, with either a late Nov. or early Dec. release date. A mechanic with the local Chevy dealer tells us that there is a serious problem with the hydraulic lifters in the '07--'09, and yet to be heard from the '10's. He says the 5.3 and 6.0 engines are effected as they have the same lifters. The problem is a "ticking/tapping: noise on cold start that progressively lasts longer with higher mileage. The local dealer is not sharing the TBS info with the mechanics. "Allegedly" there is a new lifter design being manufactured, but will not be available until mid/late March. My '07 5.3 does have a very minor start-up ticking noise, which goes away soon. Those TSB numbers are what he shared with me. He said they had a meeting with the area service rep who asked them to keep this "toned-down" to prevent a "Toyota pedal problem". Interesting, especially if this TSB exists. David

2002 Corvette Coupe
Mods: SDPC 427, Comp XE-R 230/242 .591/.610 115 cam, L76, Livernois stage 2 L92s, dual CCA catch cans, SuperMaxx, C6Z shifter, Z06 cat-back, Kinesis K58 wheels, 3.73s, Wilwood brakes, DeWitts radiator, Vette-HID

2011 Silverado ECSB 4wd 6.2

#48 4wd

4wd

Enthusiast

• 480 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 06:06 AM

My dealer has replaced my lifters twice and it still ticks on cold startup. The last time in January they replaced the cam, cam phaser, all lifters, a push rod, and all rocker arms. They actually pulled the engine and tore it down per the GM tech center. Now it still ticks and has a nice big oil leak.

Look for a good dealer and have them redo the job when the new lifters are available. Sorry to hear that.

#49 Thurman

Thurman

Enthusiast

• 61 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 11:22 AM

That was a posting I did on the "Chevy Talk" site. There was a good response listing the TSB on this, my '07 truck is going to the selling dealer, 110 miles away, for evaluation next week.
Thanks, David
Here's the TSB:

Some motors have it and some don't.

#PIP4499A: Short Duration Lifter Tick Noise On Cold Start - Aerated Oil In
Lifter - keywords BQMI - (Jun 16, 2009)

Subject:Short Duration Lifter Tick Noise on Cold Start - Aerated Oil in Lifter

Models:2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2007 Buick Rainier
2007-2009 Cadillac CTS-V
2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade
2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2009 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon
2007-2009 Hummer H2
2008-2009 Hummer H3
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007-2009 Saab 97x
With Any of the Following V8 Engine RPOs:
L76, L92, L9H, LC9, LFA, LH6, LH8, LMG, LMF, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LY2, LY5, or LY6

This PI was superseded to revise repair instructions to include replacing the oil pump and pick-up tube o-ring. Please discard PIP4499.
The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a short duration lifter tick noise that occurs after cold start and can last for several minutes. This may be the result of air in the high pressure chamber of the lifter affecting valve train lash. When this occurs, valve closing velocity is increased, which causes the noise. Air can be present in the lifter at shutdown due to an aerated oil condition, or it can be ingested into the lifter during a cold start from a suction side leak at the oil pump or oil pump pick up tube o-ring. Oil aeration level, oil viscosity, time to achieve oil pressure, engine speed, and lifter design all play a part in whether lifter noise is observed. Once air gets into the high pressure chamber, it will slowly be expelled through the very tight clearance of the plunger and body.
Recommendation/Instructio ns:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this concern, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 while listening to the noise.
If the noise is eliminated, or is greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the clearance of the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall of that cylinder.
If there is no change in the noise when canceling the fuel injectors with the Tech 2 and this noise occurs at valve speed, the noise is most likely a result of air in the lifters as described above. The air may be the result of a suction side leak at the oil pump and/or pick up tube o-ring, or it may be the result of the lifter design.
If this concern is encountered, replace the oil pump and pick up tube o-ring and re-evaluate the noise. If this does not repair the noise, updated lifters will most likely repair the noise but they will not be available until the 4th quarter of 2009. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as soon as they are available. Replacing the lifters with the ones currently in GMSPO stock may not repair the noise.
Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

#50 raulibarra3

raulibarra3

Enthusiast

• 37 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:20 PM

Does this ticking affects only the AFM engines?

Mine is a 2010 AFM with 4900 kms, will I hear this ticking soon?
Raul
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2010 Chevrolet Cheyenne (Silverado 1500).
285/55/20 BF Goodrich A/T on American Eagle 079 super finish.
2.5" leveling kit in front.
Westin Platinum Oval step bars.

Posted Image

#51 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:01 PM

:rolleyes:

Your truck is probably fine. Stop worrying.
2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

#52 Z'06

Z'06

Enthusiast

• 420 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:41 PM

In the "old" days before the GMT900, piston slap or exhaust manifold/header leak was the diagnosis. Now ticking can mean all of the above plus lifters.

It's all luck of the draw. Only time and mileage will tell. Could happen tomorrow, could happen the day after your powertrain warranty runs out, but may never happen.
2006 Z71 Tahoe - Silver Birch Metallic
GO: Wheatley in-person 93-oct tune, TR220-112 cam, PAC 1218 springs, Comp rocker trunions, U/D pulley, LS2 timing chain, JBA headers, cat delete, Magnaflow catback, AEM CAI, 180 stat, ported TB, Circle D 3200, TransGo HD2, billet servos, Tru-Cool 40K, LS6 valley cover, and many more...
SHOW: Nitto 295/70/17, Ford keys, 2" spacers, Bilstein 5100, SS cluster, LEDs, and many more...

#53 07SLT

07SLT

Enthusiast

• 59 posts

Posted 12 March 2010 - 02:55 PM

I had my 07 Sierra 5.3 (33000 miles) in the GMC service department today for a "service air bag" message that won't go away and also mentioned I have lifter noise on cold start. Right now its in the mid 40s for temp so no ticking and probably won't until next winter. I did show them a video clip I took of it on cold start, you can hear the ticking noise coming from the passenger side along with seeing my licence plate number in the video but they need to hear it in person so they can pass it onto GM for advice. Looks like I'll be waiting until next winter to get it fixed if they do anything at all. It would be nice if they could take my word and video for it and fix it but I supose to many people try to screw them over? :thumbs:

They also recomened a fuel system cleaning for $137..........is this a joke er what?

#54 Irv

Irv

Enthusiast

• 472 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:31 AM

I took my truck into the dealers on Tuesday for the new updated lifters, they replaced those and the tick/noise is still noticable.

They said the noise was about half as bad as it was but it is still not acceptable.

They are now guessing it is maybe a wrist pin in the number 4 cylinder and plan to re-tear it down today and see what is going on.

I am currently driving an entry level Impala and I all I can say is I miss my truck!!

I will let you know when I know :D

#55 4wd

4wd

Enthusiast

• 480 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 11:40 PM

I took my truck into the dealers on Tuesday for the new updated lifters, they replaced those and the tick/noise is still noticable.

They said the noise was about half as bad as it was but it is still not acceptable.

They are now guessing it is maybe a wrist pin in the number 4 cylinder and plan to re-tear it down today and see what is going on.

I am currently driving an entry level Impala and I all I can say is I miss my truck!!

I will let you know when I know :thumbs:

Thanks for the update, but can you please confirm it is the new redesign!, it will be greate if you can ask the them for the lifters part numbers and post them here.

#56 Irv

Irv

Enthusiast

• 472 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:38 AM

I will let you know when I know :thumbs:

Thanks for the update, but can you please confirm it is the new redesign!, it will be greate if you can ask the them for the lifters part numbers and post them here.

I will be sure to ask when I pick-up the truck or am talking to the service mngr.

At this point I haven't heard nothing new so I assume they are still working on it?

#57 butzers09silverado

butzers09silverado

Enthusiast

• 525 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:02 AM

http://www.grrrr8.ne...2-Hours-Or-More

google search found it.

Edited by butzers09silverado, 13 April 2010 - 07:27 AM.

2009 Silverado
5.3L Aluminum V8 4spd
Ext. Cab LT

side exit exhaust muffler delete

http://www.youtube.c...me?feature=mhsn

#58 4wd

4wd

Enthusiast

• 480 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:00 PM

http://www.grrrr8.ne...2-Hours-Or-More

google search found it.

Thanks............let's copy here just in case the link is not working:

PIP4499B: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More

#PIP4499B: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off For 2 Hours Or More - AFM Engines - keywords BQMI - (Oct 29, 2009)

Subject: Start Up Lifter Tick Noise After Engine Has Been Off for 2 Hours or More - AFM Engines

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade
built before April 1, 2006 with 6.2L L92 Engine
(these engines were built with AFM Hardward but the AFM system was disabled)
2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2007 Buick Rainier
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2007-2009 Saab 97x
With an AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine:
(RPOs L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, LY5)

This PI was superseded to remove non-AFM engines from this PI because there is no longer an updated lifter in the works for non-AFM engines. Please discard PIP4499A.

Important: This PI only applies to AFM V8 engines above. It does not apply to Non-AFM Engines. If you are dealing with a Non-AFM engine that is experiencing a similar noise, please refer to the latest version of PIP4725.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.
Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a lifter tick noise that occurs after the engine has been off for at least 2 hours and can last for several minutes. In most cases, the noise will last less than 2 seconds, which should be classified as a short duration tick noise. While in other cases, the noise may last longer than 10 seconds, which should be classified as an extended duration tick noise.

This may be the result of dirty/low engine oil. dissolved air in the oil, low internal lifter reservoir level, and/or debris in the lifters.
Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this lifter tick noise and normal oil pressure is noted during the concern, perform the following suggestions as necessary:

1. Check the oil condition and level. If it's more than 1 quart low or if poor oil quality is noted, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the noise. Allow at least a 2 hour soak time between start ups when re-evaluating the noise.
2. If the tick lasts long enough, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 to cancel each fuel injector while listening to the noise. If the noise is eliminated, or greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall clearance of that cylinder. If this does not isolate a specific cylinder, continue to the rest of the steps below.
3. If an extended duration tick is experienced from more than 1 lifter, replace the oil pump and oil pump o-ring to address potential dissolved air in the oil. Generally, this will not affect oil pressure or cause obvious air bubbles in the oil that can be visually identified.
4. If an extended duration tick is experienced from a single lifter, use the information below to determine if the suspect lifter pack is equipped with Eaton lifters or Delphi lifters. Replace all of the lifters on both banks if Eaton lifters are present. Replace all of the lifters on the suspect bank if Delphi lifters are present. The new lifters from GMSPO should be Delphi lifters.
AFM Lifters:

1) Eaton - 3 Slots in Tube
2) Delphi - No Slots in Tube
Non-AFM Lifters:

1) Eaton - 2 Parallel Clip Wires Visible
2) Delphi - 3 Clip Wires Visible
5. If a short duration tick noise is experienced and none of the information above helps, updated AFM lifters will most likely be needed to repair the noise but they will not be available until Spring 2010 at the earliest. They were supposed to be available during the 4th quarter of 2009 but further validation work is needed. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as soon as they are available. Replacing the lifters with the ones currently in GMSPO stock may not repair a short duration tick noise.

Attached Files

Edited by 4wd, 13 April 2010 - 01:07 PM.

#59 Irv

Irv

Enthusiast

• 472 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 01:09 PM

I phoned the dealer today and asked how they were making out?

This is what I was told.
The lifters were replaced but 1/2 the noise still remained so dug in deeper and narrowed it down to the #4 cylinder and found the piston wrist pin was loose causing the remaining noise.

When I phoned; the truck was being test driven to make sure everything was ok and put back together correctly.
I wanted to go get it but was told to hold off just to make sure first.

Received a return phone call only to be told that a engine noise still remains; it is suppose to be slight but they do not want to give the truck back to me until it is perfect they say?

I will keep you informed.

Edited by Irv, 13 April 2010 - 01:10 PM.

#60 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 13 April 2010 - 02:17 PM

I phoned the dealer today and asked how they were making out?

This is what I was told.
The lifters were replaced but 1/2 the noise still remained so dug in deeper and narrowed it down to the #4 cylinder and found the piston wrist pin was loose causing the remaining noise.

When I phoned; the truck was being test driven to make sure everything was ok and put back together correctly.
I wanted to go get it but was told to hold off just to make sure first.

Received a return phone call only to be told that a engine noise still remains; it is suppose to be slight but they do not want to give the truck back to me until it is perfect they say?

I will keep you informed.

Hey, at least your dealer is doing right by you. THAT is a big plus!
2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users