Lifters Replacement Under Warranty

4wd

Guys,

Dealer told me to bring the truck as soon as the new redesigned lifters arrive at the workshop, before I deliver the truck to them, I am curious if there is any comments about this job, other than it involves taking the cylinder head as a major part.

Anyone went through this repair?

The tick is very annoying but I don't want to get into bigger problem .

Engine 5.3, AFM

How long does it take?

Thanks

Guys,

Dealer told me to bring the truck as soon as the new redesigned lifters arrive at the workshop, before I deliver the truck to them, I am curious if there is any comments about this job, other than it involves taking the cylinder head as a major part.

Anyone went through this repair?

The tick is very annoying but I don't want to get into bigger problem .

Engine 5.3, AFM

How long does it take?

Thanks

I also have a VERY annoying tick in my engine, it sounds more like a diesel than a 5.3lt gas engine!

I took it to my dealer a couple months ago to have them listen to it and have it noted that I have an issue.

Long story short, they said they have never heard of this before, and I tend to believe them, especially the mechanic, he was a really good guy.

They some what located the noise from the back of the engine on the passenger side, they also took off the serpentine belt just to make sure?

GM was called after there were no service bulletins and they told me to put on 10,000km's and if the noise doesn't go away bring it back in and they will have to tear into it?

I have 8,000 km's on it now and I believe the noise is getting worse? It is fairly quiet on start up with the colder temps we have been having (0c to -2c) but as soon as it warms up I get the annoying clackity clack!

I am not looking forward to them doing this work, although it needs to be done for sure, I am afraid they will scratch the paint, the engine will never be the same(ie=oil leaks etc) and some other new problem(s) will surface?

Nothing was said to me about lifter updates/recalls? Just curious what that is all about? It would be nice to have a bit of knowledge about an issue when I do take it in!

I've been trying to have mine fixed for a year now. It only does it during after a cold-soak of about 8 hours when the temps start to get colder around here. Although it did it a few times this summer. My dealer told me they should have parts at the end of the year. Are you saying they are in?

Here is my ticking...

http://s32.photobucket.com/albums/d42/J-ma...nt=MVI_1077.flv

I've been trying to have mine fixed for a year now. It only does it during after a cold-soak of about 8 hours when the temps start to get colder around here. Although it did it a few times this summer. My dealer told me they should have parts at the end of the year. Are you saying they are in?

Here is my ticking...

That sounds almost exactly like my '85 Mercedes 300D turbodiesel at idle. Except that it is NORMAL for my diesel.

Here is my ticking...

Mine sounds somewhat similar but more of a clackity clack compared to your ticking sound (at least that what it sounds like to me?)

Yours also seems faster and more steady than my sound, it truly sounds like a diesel imo.

I will try and get a video uploaded as soon as I can borrow someones digital camera with a video option, I used my son's a few months ago when I originally brought up this subject but it had no sound! :smash:

My noise stays all the time, it never goes away after it is warmed up or has been driven for a while, it is always there and is quite noticable to others who are either in my truck or standing beside it.

This is the TSB, check with your mechanic and please let's know what he says.

#PIP4499A: Short Duration Lifter Tick Noise On Cold Start - Aerated Oil In

Lifter - keywords BQMI - (Jun 16, 2009)

Subject:Short Duration Lifter Tick Noise on Cold Start - Aerated Oil in Lifter

Models:2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Buick Rainier

2007-2009 Cadillac CTS-V

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2009 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2009 Hummer H2

2008-2009 Hummer H3

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 97x

With Any of the Following V8 Engine RPOs:

L76, L92, L9H, LC9, LFA, LH6, LH8, LMG, LMF, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LY2, LY5, or LY6

This PI was superseded to revise repair instructions to include replacing the oil pump and pick-up tube o-ring. Please discard PIP4499.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may comment on a short duration lifter tick noise that occurs after cold start and can last for several minutes. This may be the result of air in the high pressure chamber of the lifter affecting valve train lash. When this occurs, valve closing velocity is increased, which causes the noise. Air can be present in the lifter at shutdown due to an aerated oil condition, or it can be ingested into the lifter during a cold start from a suction side leak at the oil pump or oil pump pick up tube o-ring. Oil aeration level, oil viscosity, time to achieve oil pressure, engine speed, and lifter design all play a part in whether lifter noise is observed. Once air gets into the high pressure chamber, it will slowly be expelled through the very tight clearance of the plunger and body.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If the SI diagnostics do not isolate the cause of this concern, perform a cylinder power balance test with the Tech 2 while listening to the noise.

If the noise is eliminated, or is greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the clearance of the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall of that cylinder.

If there is no change in the noise when canceling the fuel injectors with the Tech 2 and this noise occurs at valve speed, the noise is most likely a result of air in the lifters as described above. The air may be the result of a suction side leak at the oil pump and/or pick up tube o-ring, or it may be the result of the lifter design.

If this concern is encountered, replace the oil pump and pick up tube o-ring and re-evaluate the noise. If this does not repair the noise, updated lifters will most likely repair the noise but they will not be available until the 4th quarter of 2009. This P.I. will be updated with additional information as soon as they are available. Replacing the lifters with the ones currently in GMSPO stock may not repair the noise.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Thanks for the link/info.

The difference with mine is, it doesn't go away and "ISN'T" noticable at start up if it is cooler/colder out, it is not until it warms up that it becomes very noticable?

This part of the info sounds more like my issue but who knows for sure???

"If the noise is eliminated, or is greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the clearance of the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall of that cylinder".

I will be sure to keep this post updated.

They want me to bring it back in at 10,000 km's but I am going to try and take it in sooner if they will allow it, the noise seems to be getting worse to me?

Funny, with the TSB being out and I believe it has been out for a while? They say they have never heard of any engine noise issues before??

Thanks for the link/info.

The difference with mine is, it doesn't go away and "ISN'T" noticable at start up if it is cooler/colder out, it is not until it warms up that it becomes very noticable?

This part of the info sounds more like my issue but who knows for sure???

"If the noise is eliminated, or is greatly improved, each time a specific fuel injector is cancelled, there is most likely a concern with the clearance of the related piston pin or piston to cylinder wall of that cylinder".

I will be sure to keep this post updated.

They want me to bring it back in at 10,000 km's but I am going to try and take it in sooner if they will allow it, the noise seems to be getting worse to me?

Funny, with the TSB being out and I believe it has been out for a while? They say they have never heard of any engine noise issues before??

Most of them like this, GM tries to avoid the cost, and they know that in most cases they will get a way with it. Unless you push the case they will not go and search in the GM system for every customer concern, specially when the workshop is busy..they get all kind of concerns from different models..if a problem is progressing then that's a bad sign, and this is your argument....

Gentlemen,

Your comment that it sounds like a diesel reminded me of a Ford I had that sounded similar. Turned out to be some sort of piston damage that eventually lead to a broken piston. It was that stupid German 4.0 litre 6. Horrible truck but when it blew up in Blythe, Ca, I did buy my silvy with 100 k on it. Beautiful truck both running and parked. Now have 150 k on it and it is flawless.

These Vortec engines are well designed and built. But nothing mechanical owes you anything. I hope your problem is indeed minor.

Ken

it could be the stupid GM slap

Models:2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)

2007 Buick Rainier

2007-2009 Cadillac CTS-V

2007-2009 Cadillac Escalade

2007-2009 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Trail Blazer

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo

2007-2009 GMC Envoy, Savana, Sierra, Yukon

2007-2009 Hummer H2

2008-2009 Hummer H3

2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix

2008-2009 Pontiac G8

2007-2009 Saab 97x

With Any of the Following V8 Engine RPOs:

L76, L92, L9H, LC9, LFA, LH6, LH8, LMG, LMF, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LY2, LY5, or LY6

I have the same ticking at Idle only when warm, haven't been to the dealer yet.

Get it in and at least let them listen and make note of it, the more of us that do that the more apt they are to do something about it?

Archived