Abs Kicks In When Almost At Complete Stop

I hate to bring up an old thread but this may be the answer to my problem. When applying the brake a a low speed and hitting a bump the abs would kick on and it was like I lost brakes completely. Did it once or twice last fall but then did it in the a few days after christmas when out plowing and ended up rear ended a car. Plow prevented any damage to my rig but messed up her bumper and now my insurance just went up abit :thumbs:

Anyway now that the weather is getting better I definatly would like to get this fixed. What exactly to I have to sand/clean up? I keep hearing about a possible recall for this but can't find any good info. Truck is a 2000 3/4 ton Silverado and I'm in Vermont so I'd assume that would be in the "salt area" that I heard mentioned

I don't think your issue is the vehicle speed sensor. If it only does it when you hit bumps when slowing down, the system is doing what it is supposed to. ABS senses when a wheel is moving at a different speed while braking. If your hitting a bump while braking, one tire is likely getting some lift off the road, and therefore changes speed, activating the ABS. A faulty VSS will activate consistently, not just on bumps.

And thanks for bring up an old post. I find it refreshing to see people searching before posting the same topics over, and over. It helps for others to see whats already been posted about the topic you have a question on.

Edited by Metro12

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know if there is a TSB for the NNBS. My '07 has started to do the whole abs at low speeds, but it is still under warranty.

My concern is that if it does not do it for the dealer, they may not want to fix it under the warranty.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Im not sure if anyone else posted this but, if you need your truck the next day and you dont have time to fix this issue, you can pull out the brake fuse inside the dash on the truck. This will stop the ABS from kicking in but will disable the cruise control. You will get the ABS light on the dash until you reinstall the fuse. (no this will not keep your tail lights from turning on, i currently am running my truck without the fuse in right now, you will still want to make sure everything works before you drive around in high traffic areas though to make sure you pulled the right fuse)

Edited by Ghostsniper

• 4 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...

after 4 yrs of living with this issue, i finally diagnosed it, i had to replace 1 front sensor and clean a rear sensor

I'm glad you solved it but this is an extremely common issue on the 800-series trucks and SUVs- did you just deal with it or were repair shops not able to solve the issue?

I'm glad you solved it but this is an extremely common issue on the 800-series trucks and SUVs- did you just deal with it or were repair shops not able to solve the issue?

well im kinda cheap lol so i really didnt want to pay 80-100 for a scan. i got new tires put on last year and the shop scanned it for for free for me but imo did not know what he was doing, instead of scanning it while driving it he put it on a hoist and ran it in drive, im no expert but how do you diagnose an abs issue if all 4 tires are spinning at different speeds ? anyway finally after watching a few youtube vids and reading things online (the tsb) i checked it out myself and fixed it myself. im also pissed at myself, a couple years ago i replaced a hub and i thought about keeping the old abs sensor and i didnt,, im a putz for not keeping it

"Driving" it on the lift can make it act up but honestly the scan tool won't pick up the sensor being corroded- if there were a fault/code stored the ABS light would light up. This is just one of those things you see on the trucks that see snow/salt and being in Toronto, you certainly do.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I'm looking for any advice. My '03 Envoy brakes pump when I slow to around 5mph. I changed the driver hub assembly and no luck. Do I need to do the passenger side too? The ABS light isn't on. Or is this an electric brake controller issue? Thank you!

Edited by Ryan19450

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

2001 Yukon 4WD rear limited slip axle . Having the same issue you boys did . Under light braking condition at low speeds feels like the ABS kicks in and can feel it pulsate in the steering wheel and on the brake pedal . No C.E.L no ABS light . I've removed and cleaned all 4 calipers and retracted the pistons with a large C clamp , blew out all brake dust , bled all 4 calipers starting with the R/R and working back towards the master cylinder . Non of that fixed the problem so I'm gonna try to remove both front ABS sensors , clean the bores , lube the o/rings and reinstall and see if that will fix it . You would think if there was an excessive air gap due to corrosion or whatever that it would trigger an ABS code ?