Wiring Heated Steering Wheel In 07 Silverado 1500 Ltz

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 AKSNOWGOD

AKSNOWGOD

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:16 PM

I have looked thru all the information that some have gathered and seen where a few have upgraded to heated steering wheels. I have acquired a heated steering wheel 25776325 for a Denali, and plan to purchase a new SIR coil 15829093.

My question is about the additional wiring necesary for the new SIR coil. Does the SIR coil have an additional connector for the wiring for the heated portion of the wheel that I just connect into, or will I need to splice into the new SIR harness to get the power and ground needed for the heated portion?

Also, I had seen a post on another forum where there was talk of needing to connect a signal reference from the SWMC to the BCM in order to make it work, and possibly needing to reprogram the BCM?

Any help/insight is appreciated.

Thanks.

#2 Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4

Senior Enthusiast

• 2,299 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:20 PM

Heated steering wheel? Your kidding right? I know there out there but..........

2015 White Double Cab Chevrolet Silverado Longbed 2500HD 4x4, 4:10 Gears, 6 Speed, 6.0 L
2011 Dark Blue Chevrolet Traverse LS AWD

#3 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

Don't call me,and I won't call you!

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,924 posts
  • Name:Rich
  • Drives:'07 Silverado Z71 '11 Camaro SS '02 Saturn SC2

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Hey Steve,Send member "Trav_13" a PM,He's done this and is very familar with the procedure.

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)
2012 CRUZE 1LT - Blue Topaz Met. - RS pkg.- Convenience pkg. (work car!)

My Garage

#4 AKSNOWGOD

AKSNOWGOD

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:30 PM

Heated steering wheel? Your kidding right? I know there out there but..........

What can I say. It gets cold here sometimes in Alaska. Heated Wheel is a nice accesory. If I would have known it was an option I probably would have gone for a Denali, but I have always been a Silverado owner.

#5 AKSNOWGOD

AKSNOWGOD

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:31 PM

Hey Steve,Send member "Trav_13" a PM,He's done this and is very familar with the procedure.

Thanks, I have read his posts and thought he would have some great info, but for some reason the forum will not let me PM anyone. Not sure if its because I have not posted in the past or what.

#6 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,924 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

Then I assume you read this post here.....Heated steering wheel install

sig1alternate.png
'07 SILVERADO Z71 LT2 "VortecMAX" 6-Liter,"Super-Duty" Auto Trans,9 1/2" rear-end w/3.73 G80 Locker,XM,On-Star,BOSE speaker system,Stabilitrak,Block Heater,Sunroof,18" ARE "Cannon" Wheels w/LT275/65R18 Goodyear Wrangler AT/S tires.
Custom tune by Justin at Black Bear,CORSA "Sport" exhaust system,EXTANG "Full-Tilt" snapless tonneau cover,Rough Country 1.5" front leveling kit,Fabtech 1" rear lift blocks,EZ-Down tailgate damper.
GM accessories...Hood Deflector,Molded Mud-Flaps,Ventvisors,Catch-All Floor-Mats,Bedrail Protectors,BedRug Bedliner & Bedmat,and a GM Performance Parts cold-air intake.

2011 CAMARO 2SS/RS - LS3/M6 - Inferno Orange Met. - HURST short-throw - Roto-Fab CAI - Kook's LTs - CORSA exhaust - Black Bear tuned (playtoy!)

My Garage

#7 trav_automotive

trav_automotive

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,583 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 05:50 PM

Steve,

Rich PM'd me and ask me to chime in on this thread....I did this in my 2007 that I just traded and I am going to be adding the same setup in my 2009...I actually have the parts out in the Garage right now, just need the time to put them in....I think I will probably do a write up on this to see if we can get it posted in the Tech Section....

Anyway the SIR Coil will be the same with the exception of one additional green plug, in which houses the power and ground wire for the Heated Steering Wheel Part....I basically just went to the Electical Center, which hides on the firewall, behind the E-Brake Pedal....once there I found a Switched Ignition Source and then I grounded out the ground wire on a bolt somewhere underneath the dash.

It does not require BCM Reprogramming, at least my 07 Didn't...and I don't think the 09 will either....its just simply a Power/Ground Wire....

Again this mod can only been done on 1500 Model Trucks as far as I know at the current moment....this is because the 1500/2500 trucks have different SIR Coils, due to Dual Stage Air Bags in the 1500's vs the Single Stage Air Bags in the 2500's.....this Heated Steering SIR Coil is for the Dual Stage Air Bag Trucks.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Travis

Posted Image

13' Sierra Denali HD Duramax

Steel Grey with Ebony Heated and Cooled Leather

#8 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:14 PM

Anyone know if there's a heated wheel available without the ugly woodgrain on it? I'd love to add this but I don't want the wood.

Edited by V8GMT Guy, 21 November 2009 - 06:18 PM.

2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

#9 MS3DALE

MS3DALE

• Senior Moderator
  • 14,924 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:20 PM

Anyone know if there's a heated wheel available without the ugly woodgrain on it? I'd love to add this but I don't want the wood.

+1 I just told Travis this in a PM,I love my all leather wheel,I don't like the wood.

sig1alternate.png

My Garage

#10 sparkstech

sparkstech

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,722 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:24 PM

I am going to be adding the same setup in my 2009...I actually have the parts out in the Garage right now, just need the time to put them in... ..

It does not require BCM Reprogramming, at least my 07 Didn't...and I don't think the 09 will either....its just simply a Power/Ground Wire....

Did you get the exact same set up, meaning did you get the wheel for an 07 or 09? The schematcs for the 09 are quite a bit different, there is some bcm communication.

Edited by sparkstech, 21 November 2009 - 06:26 PM.

The tech who thinks he knows it all hasn't begun to learn.
and
If at first you don't succeed suc harder.

#11 sparkstech

sparkstech

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,722 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:34 PM

:thumbs: :banghead: I take it back they are exactly the same. The only thing the BCM controlls is led back lighting.
The tech who thinks he knows it all hasn't begun to learn.
and
If at first you don't succeed suc harder.

#12 AKSNOWGOD

AKSNOWGOD

Enthusiast

• 7 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 06:53 PM

Steve,

Rich PM'd me and ask me to chime in on this thread....I did this in my 2007 that I just traded and I am going to be adding the same setup in my 2009...I actually have the parts out in the Garage right now, just need the time to put them in....I think I will probably do a write up on this to see if we can get it posted in the Tech Section....

Anyway the SIR Coil will be the same with the exception of one additional green plug, in which houses the power and ground wire for the Heated Steering Wheel Part....I basically just went to the Electical Center, which hides on the firewall, behind the E-Brake Pedal....once there I found a Switched Ignition Source and then I grounded out the ground wire on a bolt somewhere underneath the dash.

Again this mod can only been done on 1500 Model Trucks as far as I know at the current moment....this is because the 1500/2500 trucks have different SIR Coils, due to Dual Stage Air Bags in the 1500's vs the Single Stage Air Bags in the 2500's.....this Heated Steering SIR Coil is for the Dual Stage Air Bag Trucks.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks
Travis

Travis - Thanks for posting. I was hoping that it was as easy as just adding power and ground. When looking at the wiring schematics (it shows a BCM connection from the SWMC) and after seeing another post mentioning needing to connect to the BCM from the SWMC to make it work I was hesitant about doing the install. My fear was that the communication was required from the BCM for the switch to work.

The wood grain on the wheen is darker than the rest of the wood (plastic) grain in the truck. The Silverado already is all wood grain so it should all look ok together even with the wheel being a shade darker. I thought about taking it down to a upholstery shop before I install it and have them wrap it in leather but I think that would be overkill for a daily driver.

-Steve

#13 C. Charles Hahn

C. Charles Hahn

Senior Enthusiast

• 3,005 posts
  • Name:Charlie
  • Drives:08 Sierra CCSB All Terrain

Posted 21 November 2009 - 08:55 PM

+1 I just told Travis this in a PM,I love my all leather wheel,I don't like the wood.

C'mon, Rich! You're supposed to be the parts guru here.... go find us a wheel that'll work! :lol:

Since some of the '09-'10 Tahoes/Suburbans now have heated and cooled seats as an option, there's got to be a heated steering wheel option for SOME other GMT900 besides just the SD... I'm sure the Escalade has it but that wheel I'm betting has wood too. Maybe Hummer H2? :thumbs:

I'd buy one through you if you could find it. :banghead:

Edited by V8GMT Guy, 21 November 2009 - 09:18 PM.

2008 GMC Sierra CC SLT "All Terrain" Z71 4x4
Stealth Gray Metallic | Ebony UltraSoft Leather | 5.3L FlexFuel AFM-Delete V8 | 3.73 Locking Differential (G80)
Airaid MIT | K&N Drop-In | HP Tuners | Line-X Over-the-Rail | Fold-a-Cover G4 Elite | Spencer's 6K HID Conversion Low Beams and Fogs | OEM Navigation | OEM OnStar Bluetooth | Addco Front & Rear Sway Bars

2009 GMC Envoy Denali 4WD
Quicksilver Metallic | Ebony Leather | 5.3L AFM V8 | 3.42 Locking Differential (G80)
"IEATSRT8'S" CAI | Hotchkis Rear Sway Bar | HP Tuners

#14 trav_automotive

trav_automotive

Senior Enthusiast

• 1,583 posts

Posted 22 November 2009 - 11:43 AM

C'mon, Rich! You're supposed to be the parts guru here.... go find us a wheel that'll work! :lol:

Since some of the '09-'10 Tahoes/Suburbans now have heated and cooled seats as an option, there's got to be a heated steering wheel option for SOME other GMT900 besides just the SD... I'm sure the Escalade has it but that wheel I'm betting has wood too. Maybe Hummer H2? :thumbs:

I'd buy one through you if you could find it. :banghead:

I'd be interested too...but I know at this time there is nothing without the Woodgrain and Heat, except for the Buick Lucerne and Cadillac DTS Wheels....but they have a different style Airbag...

Yes the Escalade Wheel has Wood also!

Posted Image

13' Sierra Denali HD Duramax

Steel Grey with Ebony Heated and Cooled Leather

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users