Stainless Steel Exhaust

I'm looking at replacing my exhaust system. The truck currently has Doug Thorley headers 4-2-1. I don't know what they are made out of. From the headers, I think it is the stock down pipes/dual cat. combo (measured to be 2.5 inch piping). After that it goes to 2 mufflers (measure to be 2.25 inch piping). Then goes out the back on either side at the corners at a 45 degree.

I would like to know how to tell what the headers are made out of. (for reference, they are turning blue and are shinny silver)

I am looking at replacing the down pipes/dual cat. combo with a MagnaFlow 23453.

Can anyone tell me if this is DEFINITELY made entirely out of stainless steel? (or if you have it on your truck)

I think I will have to have all the other pipes custom made because I can't find a kit for what I want/currently have and I want it to be stainless.

For mufflers, I'm trying to decide between Flowmaster 40 and 50 series DeltaFlow.

Does the location of the inlets/outlets make any difference?

Any thoughts/what's the difference?

My other question is:

Do I keep the entire system 2.5 inch or have it downsize to 2.25 inch like it is now?

(if I keep the 2.25, I have more options for mufflers)

I found a site that says what size to use.

Engine size......Horsepower...Single Exhaust.....Dual exhaust

150-200 CID....100 to 150....2" to 2-1/4".........2"

200-250 CID....100 to 200....2-1/4" to 2-1/2"...2" to 2-1/4"

250-300 CID....150 to 250....2-1/2" to 3".........2" to 2-1/2"

300-350 CID....200 to 350....2-1/2" to 3".........2-1/4" to 2-1/2"

350-400 CID....250 to 550....3" to 4"...............2-1/2" to 3"

I also read that using the smaller size allows for more back pressure which helps with scavenging.

Should I use an H-pipe or not? (what are the advantages/disadvantages of it)

Thank you for your help.

[i am aware that this was also posted under the "How To" section, but I meant to post it here under the "Fullsize Truck & SUV".

I posted on the other one that I had move it. Sorry about that.]

2.25" or 2.5" is fine either was for Dual exhaust.

Magnaflow is entirely stainless yes.

Your headers are stainless as well...if they are turning blue that's a dead giveaway.

As for the muffler in/outs its done with combos of centered and offset so you can mount the muffler where you need to. once you have a mock-up of your exhaust you will see that one pipe may sit lower than the other, so you put an offset muffler in to tuck it away. You may also notice it may align up perfectly, so to get the muffler in the right position so it doesn't hang down and look like poo, you have to use one with a double offset (both in and out offset to same side) or it may be too close to something and have the chance of vibrating, so you may have to choose a centered muffler. That's really all its for.

If you are doing true dual exhaust, you will almost have to use an H or I or X..or whatever letter pipe they're making now. You have to equalize both banks, in order to aid scavenging. The H-pipe will give you a nice low rumble and the X will be raspy though, so whatever your going for for an exhaust note will determine what you use.

Here's a little read for you about the X-pipe and what it does.

http://www.carcraft.com/techarticles/exhau...tion/index.html

So the MagnaFlow 23453 down pipe/cat. combo is fully stainless.

Currently my truck has dual center in/offset out.

The mufflers are mounted vertical side by side.

(the truck had headers and true-dual exhaust when I bought it; only lasted 40k)

I'm not sure about the headers still because a web site only has them in chrome.

I thought chrome turned blue when hot and stainless turned a copper color?

I'm thinking about going with an H-pipe.

Does it have to be a certain distance from the engine?

It can't be closer than 36 inches right now because that is how long the down pipes/cats. are.

Anyone have a take on Flowmaster 40 and 50 series DeltaFlow?

So the MagnaFlow 23453 down pipe/cat. combo is fully stainless.

Currently my truck has dual center in/offset out.

The mufflers are mounted vertical side by side.

(the truck had headers and true-dual exhaust when I bought it; only lasted 40k)

I'm not sure about the headers still because a web site only has them in chrome.

I thought chrome turned blue when hot and stainless turned a copper color?

I'm thinking about going with an H-pipe.

Does it have to be a certain distance from the engine?

It can't be closer than 36 inches right now because that is how long the down pipes/cats. are.

Anyone have a take on Flowmaster 40 and 50 series DeltaFlow?

That is entirely a matter of opinion and how loud you want it. I personally love the flowmaster sound, BUT I will probably never buy another one. Flowmasters are probably the worst flowing after market muffler you can buy and they are not stainless. They will eventually rust out.

I have had, 40, 50, Super 44's and the Delta flow 40 series. The super 44's and the Delta flow 40 are two of my favorite sounding flowmasters.

Personally, I would look into Magnaflow mufflers. Full stainless, life time warranty and one of the best flowing mufflers you can buy.

Also, I won't get into a big discussion about this. It always seems to start an argument, but I read in another one of your post that you found a source that said more back-pressure will help with scavenging. You need to find another source. Those are two opposite terms. Now pipe diameter does effect scavenging, but it has to do with the volume and frequency of the exhaust wave. A well designed exhaust that does a good job of scavenging (scavenging is basically a vacuum effect, pulling exhaust from the engine) will have very little back pressure.

If find a source for information about exhaust and it tells you anywhere that back pressure is needed in these motors, you need to move to another source.

Also, I agree with Nytemare. A cross over pipe is a must with a dual exhaust system. I good single exhaust will out perform a dual exhaust without an H or X pipe.

I found the 40 and 50 series DeltaFlow in stainless steel.

Could you give me a recommendation as to what MagnaFlow matches best with a Flowmaster 50 series DeltaFlow?

Here is a better source for X and H-pipes.

"For any performance exhaust system, some type of crossover connecting the two sides of a dual exhaust system is important because it acts to balance the two banks of the engine. The common H-style crossover is good at balancing sound pulses between the two halves, but does little to promote scavenging because the exhaust gases tend to follow the path of least resistance, which is straight through each pipe rather than taking the 90-degree turn through the H-pipe into the other half of the system. In an X-pipe system, however, where the two sides of the system intersect, the gasses have no choice but to intermingle as they pass through the junction. This promotes improved scavenging effects by smoothing out uneven exhaust pulses from the engine's firing order. It also helps quiet down the exhaust, resulting in a mellower, less raspy tone. According to Magnaflow, the faster acceleration of the gasses through an X-pipe causes them to flow in a linear fashion parallel to the walls of the tubing rather than tumbling. This "laminar" flowing gas is much quieter than tumbling gas, resulting in an exhaust tone up to 8 decibels quieter than a traditional H-pipe."

I looked up what an X-pipe would cost. A site I found had a MagnaFlow for $84. Seems a little pricey for a tiny piece. At that price I might as well just have the muffler shop make an H-pipe.

Good to know about the SS flowmaster. I still would not buy one. For performance and value I think magnaflows are hard to beat.

As far as which one, that really depends on how loud you want it. I have dealt mainly with the 14, 18, and 22 oval mufflers. Since you are looking at 40 and 50 series mufflers, I guessing you want some noise. So, if it were me I would go with a 2.5 inch by 14 or 18. Shorter = Louder.

To get an idea about Magnaflow sound you can click on the link in my sig that says Exhaust at Idle. The other exhaust note link is with the Super 44's on. Of course the sound on my car is going to be slightly different then your truck, but you can get an idea of the type of sound they produce.

I am running a full 3in pipe with and X pipe and 14in Magnaflows (center/center) that are dumped right before the rear-end.

Little hard to hear your exhaust over the rough idle from the cam and loud engine. None the less, nice car from what I can see.

I guess what I might go by is the size.

The Flowmaster 50 series DeltaFlow is 4 in. Thick, 9.5 in. Wide, 17 in. Long (don't know what that is measuring).

There is a MagnaFlow that is a Oval 4 in. Thick, 9 in. Wide, and either 11, 14, or 18 in. Long (for the body; not overall).

How is the interior sound on your MagnaFlow?

(The reason I was leaning towards the 50 over the 40 is because they say it is just as loud outside, but quieter inside)

I guess my last question is concerning sound.

MagnaFlow doesn't really have different muffler model numbers. There are just difference sizes.

Also, I called MagnaFlow and asked them if they are directional mufflers and they said they are not.

Right now I'm looking at the 11226 which is a 2.5 inch center/offset that is 4x9x14 (body; 20 overall).

Is this going to be fairly loud in the interior?

I have the option of a 11 or a 14 or a 18 inch long body.

Does the statement stand that "the shorter, the louder"?

MagnaFlow will be the quietest muffler you can buy for in cab resonance.

They pretty much all sound the same for the most part...I guess the shorter ones may be a touch louder...but maybe 1 db or a little more... not really noticeable, from what I have heard. As for the right sound, the shorter ones are a touch more raspy than the longer ones though.

If I had to do it all over...which I will soon...just because......I would have went with full LT headers and crossover from Danyatech and a full 3" single pipe all the way back with a Magnaflow muffler...or seeing that Flowie is making SS now Maybe stick with the super 44 but in SS this time. I do however like the look of my duals, they're positioned in the stock location but on both sides. No tips, that takes away from the "stock" look IMO.

I don't really View exhaust as a performance upgrade...I just want the sound...and actually in most cases you actually loose low end power from duals...on these trucks anyway.

instead of running 2 mufflers, try something like this.. I'm running this system on my 03 SS. you can do the some basic setup with a 2 1/2" duel in/out magnaflow. has a built in X in the muffler. or forget the tails, and just dump behind the rear

post-9930-1259011359_thumb.jpg

good luck

:crazy:

I realize I could go with the dual in/dual out, but I just like the sound of two mufflers.

I guess my setup will go like this:

MagnaFlow 23453 down pipes/cat. combo

MagnaFlow 11225 Oval 4x9x14 (body; 20 overall)

MagnaFlow 35143 Slash-Cut 45 degree tips

MagnaFlow 10791 Tru - X

MagnaFlow sells a kit for my truck, but they only use the single muffler (15602 or 15750).

They have the pipe that goes from the flange behind the cats to the muffler, but I can't find if they sell it seperately in SS.

Anyone know?

I like how mine exit at the corners of the bumper at a 45 degree, but can't find the pipes in SS.

I like your Idea for a system man...Its gonna look good for sure.

Only thing I will warn you against is the X-pipe...its gonna be raspy. You may want to pop a couple of small resonators on just after the mufflers to fix up the sound.

Build it the way you want it now...you can always adjust sound by putting in some resonators later on, if you don't like the way it sounds.

So are you saying that I shouldn't use an X-pipe?

How much different is an X from an H in terms of sound and performance?

Now I'm getting confused again.

Let me clearify what I'm going for.

I want it to have a nice, low rumble at idle and approximately under 1,500 rpm.

Will it be raspy in these areas or will it only be in the upper rpms?

Because if it is only in the uppers, I don't care.

The X-pipe performs better...as its better at scavenging...that's the term given for the first exhaust pulse actually creating a vacuum after it and pulling the next exhaust pulse along. the X or H pipes allow the exhaust pulses to intermingle in a portion of pipe, where the pulses from one side pull along the pulses from the other, allowing less distance between pulses, a grater vacuum effect in the pipe work, and the equalization of both sides of the exhaust.

The H-pipe is not as good at this due to the sharp bend the gasses need to take, and the scavenging effect is slowed down. This leads to longer gaps between pulses, and a lower rumbling exhaust note.

The X-pipe, is best at scavenging, and keeps the exhaust moving fast with short gaps between pulses leading to a higher pitched exhaust note. It will still be a rumble at idle, just not as deep a tone. As you climb to highway speeds (I hit 60mph at 1500ish rpm)you will get louder and more of a crackly tone, where the H-pipe will stay deeper.

The H-pipe will also pop a lot more if you gear down to slow your speed...engine braking.

There are pros and cons to both setups.

For the most efficient exhaust the X-pipe is best...and the raspy tone can be corrected by the addition of one resonator on each pipe before or after the muffler...if it bothers you.

The pops of the H-pipe really cannot be fixed...but you wont have to do the resonator thing as it will always stay deep in tone.

Archived