Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

2009 Silverado Outside Temperature Sensor?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#31 HarryK

HarryK

Enthusiast

• 32 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 10:50 PM

I just did the DIC upgrade to my '10 Silverado LS and was disappointed to see I still didn't have the compass/temp function. My '06 HHR I just got rid of had more goodies from the factory than my new LS and that just doesn't seem right. I am going to get in touch with one of the dealership techs and see what I need to do to get this function operable. This guy works on the side and does tunes also. He has done some work for me in the past and is very knowledgeable so I will let Y'all know what he says after I get in touch with him.

OK buddy thanks ..I'll be watching this thread for the info!

#32 dkj313

dkj313

Enthusiast

• 93 posts
  • Drives:2011 Z71 regular cab long bed

Posted 03 September 2010 - 09:05 PM

did anyone ever get this to work and did you actually find out if the plug was for the fog lights or was it the temperature sensor location

#33 TDImark

TDImark

Enthusiast

• 30 posts

Posted 06 October 2010 - 07:06 AM

did anyone ever get this to work and did you actually find out if the plug was for the fog lights or was it the temperature sensor location

Any word??? I'm very curious, too ... as that I want to do this mod.

#34 clintg

clintg

Enthusiast

• 11 posts

Posted 15 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

To summarize what i have learned from this thread, searching the forum, and figured out myself:
The reason that pre '09 there was two separate temp sensors is because the mirror type readout was a completely separate circuit from the HVAC system.

With the introduction of the backup camera, the two PINS on the inside rear view mirror formerly used for the temp sensor were re-purposed to be video signal.

GM now re-uses the temp readout from the HVAC system to display on the DIC. So, anyone with the automatic HVAC has the temp sensor up front. Unfortunately, i have the manual HVAC, which has no need for a temp sensor.

So i started looking through the gmupfitter manuals for the 2010 truck (the 2009 doesnít seem to be updated). Sure enough, the manuals show a pair of wires running from J2-9 and J2-12 on the manual HVAC to the forward harness. At the end of the forward harness, behind the passenger headlight is a spare 2 wire connector.

Since the colors matched up with the GM upfitter manual, i decided to try and connect a temperature sensor (PN: 15826773) to these leads. I went and turned on the vehicle to the run (not start position), and the DIC immediately came up with "Service Airbags". So I turned off the vehicle, and disconnected the sensor. On next power cycle, the DIC did not show the message. BTW, the connector was not yellow which i believe is standard with airbag stuff.

I thought that perhaps I had the wrong wires, so i decided to pull the HVAC, and jumper directly to pins J2-9 and J2-12. Upon turning the key to run, the same airbag warning came up.

So, two things i learned:
1 - That connector behind the passenger headlight is meant for the thermostat connector (although the connector is not compatible).
2 - Somehow the HVAC system is connected to the airbag system (through the GMLAN Iím guessing)

My questions:
Does anyone know if the TechLink software allows the addition of a temperature sensor with a BRM re-program?
Does anyone know why an airbag warning would come up with an HVAC problem?

Addition note - on the GM upfitter manual, it has a note (in the 2009 and 2010 manuals) "if mirrors go GMLAN, a temperature sensor needs to be connect to J2-9".

BTW - I cant add the mirror temp display as i have already installed the backup camera screen.

#35 MTS060378

MTS060378

Enthusiast

• 6 posts

Posted 28 December 2010 - 11:56 AM

I was hoping someone might know....I have an 09 Silverado LS.I've added the DIC to the truck but I want to see if I can hook up the ambient air(outside)temp sensor.I know GM moved the read out from the rear view mirror to the DIC display. I have the new sensor part # 15826773 but I'm not sure if the plug and harness are on the truck or not? Has anyone done this mod yet? If not does anyone know where the plug in might be? It seems GM pretty much wires these things for most options and then just adds whats ordered on the truck. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks

Did you ever figure out how to add the outside temp I also would like to add this feature but can't find any info on it thanks Mike

#36 MattJ

MattJ

Enthusiast

• 184 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:24 PM

What's strange on my 2011 2500HD, the DIC shows a warning when the temp is below freezing. So the truck somehow knows the temperature.

I just added the DIC upgrade today thinking I would get the outside temperature to show. No such luck. Grrrrr...

Per the manual the Trip/Fuel top button that looks like a road states "The compass and outside temperature will also be shown in the display."

And the research continues...

Edited by MattJ, 30 December 2010 - 09:28 PM.

#37 mspauld

mspauld

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 09 January 2011 - 11:09 PM

To CLARKE33, CLINTG, ET AL. I just purchased a 2010 Silverado LS crew cab and have been reading your posts. I reviewed the upfitters drawings and after some time became confused. I'm not sure if we need to add a temperature sensor, however I believe we may need to add a compass module somewhere. Referring to upfitter drawing pg. D-76 I see connections for an electronic compass module. It appears to be located in the headliner somewhere. This unit appears to be powered from the fuse block with a 10a fuse for "AUXHVAC". I have yet to check on my vehicle to see if a fuse was left out at the factory or if I can find a spot for this module in the overhead headliner panel near the front map lights. The footnote section of upfitter drawing D-76 shows temp and compass displayed in the IPC. Does anyone know if this module was left off of wt and ls models? I have not been able to find this unit on any parts web sites as I don't see the module part number on the upfitter drawing. Any help would be appreciated before I start removing trim panels. BTW - I will most likely add the DIC control buttons to my truck anyway as I also had a vehicle previously that displayed AVG FUEL ECON and would like to have it back. Any help appreciated.

#38 HarryK

HarryK

Enthusiast

• 32 posts

Posted 30 January 2011 - 08:33 PM

MSPAULD anything further?

Harry K.

#39 mspauld

mspauld

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 12:13 AM

Harry K.

Unfortunately Harry, no. I have been hoping that someone would chime in who has talked to a GM mechanic or the like. I myself have not yet ordered my DIC button, however I did pull the left trim panel and verify that my vehicle has the wiring needed. I am starting to believe that the upfitter drawings may not be up to date for the 2010 model. Maybe the DIC display is different in the LS vs LT??? In all of the pictures and videos which I have seen, the ones displaying temperature and compass appear to be wider vs the LS where the odometer appears to take up all the width of the display. Have you had any luck getting any info from your mechanic friend? I am actually holding off hoping someone has the true skinny on this upgrade. Thanks,

Mspauld

#40 TriumphoverU

TriumphoverU

Enthusiast

• 35 posts

Posted 12 February 2011 - 11:29 PM

Harry K.

Unfortunately Harry, no. I have been hoping that someone would chime in who has talked to a GM mechanic or the like. I myself have not yet ordered my DIC button, however I did pull the left trim panel and verify that my vehicle has the wiring needed. I am starting to believe that the upfitter drawings may not be up to date for the 2010 model. Maybe the DIC display is different in the LS vs LT??? In all of the pictures and videos which I have seen, the ones displaying temperature and compass appear to be wider vs the LS where the odometer appears to take up all the width of the display. Have you had any luck getting any info from your mechanic friend? I am actually holding off hoping someone has the true skinny on this upgrade. Thanks,

Mspauld

Do you have or can you get the part number for this "compass module"???? and where is it supposed to be located?

#41 mspauld

mspauld

Enthusiast

• 3 posts

Posted 13 February 2011 - 10:14 PM

Harry K.

Mspauld

Do you have or can you get the part number for this "compass module"???? and where is it supposed to be located?

Not sure Harry. I would suspect that it is located in the overhead console area. I have been unable to locate any part # info for the 2009-2010 Silverado. Maybe someone more familiar with the GM Upfitter drawings can chime in. I will try to include them below:

http://www.gmupfitte...Elec_1_7_D1.pdf

Check out drawing D-76 which details the compass module. The connector shows a location of HDLNR, which I assume is the headliner area.

Any GM heads or electrical wizards out there? We need help!

#42 TriumphoverU

TriumphoverU

Enthusiast

• 35 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:42 PM

Harry K.

Mspauld

Not sure Harry. I would suspect that it is located in the overhead console area. I have been unable to locate any part # info for the 2009-2010 Silverado. Maybe someone more familiar with the GM Upfitter drawings can chime in. I will try to include them below:

http://www.gmupfitte...Elec_1_7_D1.pdf

Check out drawing D-76 which details the compass module. The connector shows a location of HDLNR, which I assume is the headliner area.

Any GM heads or electrical wizards out there? We need help!

I'm wondering if the compass module is still inside the rearview mirror, but the display is actually in the info center? I have been unable to locate a "compass module" that is stand alone. Could it be as simple as getting a mirror from a vehicle that currently has the compass in the info center?

#43 ocbasbalburg

ocbasbalburg

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:18 PM

For those of you without the display in the rearview, replacing the mirror with one from another vehicle is fairly simply. The higher end Genetex mirrors all have a 16pin connector. The connectors are fairly universal.

I have an onstar mirror that I'm replacing with an onstar mirror with temp and compass and auto-dimming. You will need to run wires for the temp sensor and also wires for 12V power. The 5V power and grounding is already pre-wired since I have onstar already.

Here is the standard Genetex wiring. Just unplug your current mirror's wiring harness to see what you would have to run in addition.
Pin 1-not used
2 - Microphone (if the mirror is equipped with it)
3 - "Passenger Air Bag on" notification (if mirror is equipped with that display) - ground pin to activate icon
4 - "Passenger Air Bag off" notification (if mirror is equipped with that display) - ground pin to activate icon
5 - auto day/night signal, which comes from the LH outside rearview mirror
6 - Temp probe connection ( if mirror is equipped with display)
7 - Temp probe connection (if mirror is equipped with display)
8 - Ground
9 - Ground
10 - Microphone (if mirror is equipped)
11- keypad signal (out) for On-star
12 - keypad supply (5v) voltage (in) for the buttons
13 - ignition voltage (12v -main power IN to the mirror)
14 - Green LED signal (to the right of the Emergency button) - apply 12v to light LED.
15 - Red LED signal (to the right of the Emergency button) - apply 12v to light LED.
16 - return line to the LH outside mirror for day/night signal
2010 Silverado Crew Cab LS

#44 ocbasbalburg

ocbasbalburg

Enthusiast

• 39 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

And here is a good write-up previously completed...

http://www.gm-trucks...howtopic=108803

My mirror should be here this week and I plan on getting it installed over the weekend. I do not believe you can add temp readings to the LS gauge cluster (DIC information center).
2010 Silverado Crew Cab LS

#45 TriumphoverU

TriumphoverU

Enthusiast

• 35 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:53 PM

I found the part number for the compass module, however I'm not sure I want to spend the $73.17 it costs only to find out it doesnt work.

For anyone who wants to be the guinea pig, the part number for the compass module is 25916726

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users