How-To: Heated Steering Wheel Install GMT900 Sierra.

Trav_13

**In this Post You will find the Installation Instructions for Installing a Denali Heated Steering Wheel in a 2009 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT Pickup Truck. This Post Regarding Installation highlights the way that I installed the Heated Steering Wheel in a 2009 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT. You assume sole responsibility for your installation, or any problems you may have. Please be aware that you are working with Steering Components, and also Restraint Systems during this installation, so make sure you are comfortable working on such systems, and if you are not please consult a professional.**

This is a Photo of my 2009 GMC Sierra SLT with the Stock Steering Wheel, the Goal is to Install a Heated Steering Wheel from a 2009 GMC Sierra Denali which Features Heat.

DSC00525.jpg

1. Open the Hood, and Disconnect the Battery. Once Disconnecting the Battery Wait 15 Minutes to Let the Electrical System Completely Drain.

DSC00526.jpg

2. After performing the 1st Step, Remove the Airbag. You will need to find a small tool which can fit straight into the holes on each side of the Steering Wheel Shroud. There is a Clip in there which needs to be depressed which will release the Airbag. Once you have released the Airbag, pull it away from the Steering Wheel and there will be 2 Plugs which you will need to unplug. They are color coated so you can't confuse them. Take the Airbag and set it somewhere out of the way with the logo facing up. Your Steering Wheel will then look like this.

DSC00527.jpg

3. Remove and Set Aside the Nut which holds the Steering Wheel onto the Steering Column. Then Take Out Your Steering Wheel Puller...

DSC00528.jpg

4. Once the Steering Wheel is Loose, Carefully Pull it Away from the Column and you will need to Unplug the Harness which runs from the Steering Wheel into the SIR Coil. After this Remove the Wheel and Set Aside.

DSC00529.jpg

5. You will now be ready to remove the Tilt Lever and Steering Column Covers. You will need to pull firmly on the Steering Column Tilt Lever and it will eventually pull away from the Column.

DSC00530.jpg

6. You will now need to Remove the Steering Column Covers...there is an Upper and Lower Half to this....basically you will need to be careful when doing so...I used a very small screwdriver to kinda work them apart, and eventually the come apart. Remember that if you are going to be using that small screwdriver, don't go prying on areas that you will see when everything is reassembled. I started in the area of the SIR Coil and worked my way from there.

DSC00533.jpg

7. After the Column Covers are removed, you will then need to remove the SIR Coil. There is a Snap Ring that does have to come off first. Remove and set aside the Snap Ring, then unplug the harness which runs into the backside of the SIR Coil and you can then pull it off the Steering Shaft.

DSC00531.jpg

8. Once the SIR Coil is removed from the shaft, you will then need to cut a few of the Zip Ties which hold the SIR Coil to the Steering Column harness. Please be sure to note the location of those Zip Ties as you will be replacing them shortly on the Re-Install. Then trace your wiring over to the Driver Side Kickplate, above the Hood Latch and you will see the Yellow 4 Pin Plug. This is where the SIR Coil Plugs into, unplug this and remove the SIR Coil from your truck. I found this step was easier to perform by removing the driver side knee bolster.

9. It is now time to Re-Install your New GM SIR Coil from a Sierra Denali...Folks, buy a New Coil...they are like $90 bucks, but since they have never been installed, they come with the orange alignment tab which locks them into place, until you break the tab once the SIR Coil is installed. This helps to insure a trouble free installation for the SIR Coil because it will be aligned properly.

DSC00535.jpg

10. Once you have Installed the New SIR Coil and have Re-Installed the Snap Ring, break the Orange Alignment Tab...it will just simply snap off, and now the internals of the Coil will be able to move with the Steering Column as designed. Now is also the time to Plug in the SIR Coil into the Steering Column Harness, Route/Zip Tie Your Wires, and also Re-Connect the Yellow 4 Pin Plug down by the Driver Side Kickplate.

11. The Heated Steering Wheel Plug...you will notice with this Coil that it has a 2 Pin Plug on each end. These Green Plugs are for the SIR Coil and carry the Power and Ground for the Heat Feature in the Wheel. This is what is different from that of the Standard Coil, and is why you have to replace it for the Heated Wheel. For the "Truck" End, I simply found a mating 2 pin plug, and then made my own harness with a power and ground wire. I did this so if we ever need to service anything on the steering column we can simply unplug the wires if need be.

DSC00536.jpg

12. I then found a good grounding location, which I used a bracket in the dash which also is where the Rearview Camera System Grounds.

DSC00538.jpg

13. I then went to the Electrical Center upon the Firewall to the left of the Brake Pedal. I removed the cover and found a couple open terminals and chose one, with a switched power source which will only let this Heated Steering Wheel work when the Key is in the "Run" position.

DSC00541.jpg

14. It was now time to Re-Install the Driver Side Knee Bolster as I had completed hooking up everything, and tucked all my wires away as if they were factory installed. Also Re-Install Your Steering Column Covers.

DSC00539.jpg

15. The Next Process is to mount your heated steering wheel. Make sure to plug that Steering Wheel harness back into the SIR Coil and then align your steering wheel and press it into the splined shaft. Once this is completed, hook up the 2 Green Plugs...1 from the SIR Coil and 1 from the Steering Wheel. Also Re-Install and Tighten the Steering Wheel Nut.

16. Reinstall Your Airbag at this time, again please remember to use caution when working near the Airbag.

17. Once you have double checked your work, and are confident in a job well done, re-connect your battery.

18. Start your truck and verify all Steering Wheel Functions. Audio Controls, Power to the Cruise Control Button, and also Check out the New Heated Steering Wheel Button and Verify Operation of the Heated Wheel. Also upon start up, make sure your Airbag Light flashes a few times and then goes away. This means the system check is complete.

DSC00542.jpg

19. Enjoy Your New Sierra Denali Heated Steering Wheel!

DSC00540.jpg

I hope this helps those of you that are wanting to do the project. I have done this on my 2007 and 2009, each truck required the same process! Any Questions Let Me Know!

Edited by Trav_13
  • Like 5

Awesome write-up!

I still want a heated wheel that doesn't have the woodgrain though :uhoh:

+1 Me too! :sigh:

I would think that sometime very soon they would have to offer this as an option, without the woodgrain! Doesn't Dodge offer a Heated Steering Wheel in their new Ram?

Awesome write-up!

I still want a heated wheel that doesn't have the woodgrain though :D

$10.oo wheel cover from wally world even has grey stitching to match the all terrain dual color interior

No thanks.... those look cheap as hell to me. If I could get a Denali wheel re-covered properly for not too much $$ it might be worth it though.

**In this Post You will find the Installation Instructions for Installing a Denali Heated Steering Wheel in a 2009 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT Pickup Truck. This Post Regarding Installation highlights the way that I installed the Heated Steering Wheel in a 2009 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT. You assume sole responsibility for your installation, or any problems you may have. Please be aware that you are working with Steering Components, and also Restraint Systems during this installation, so make sure you are comfortable working on such systems, and if you are not please consult a professional.**

This is a Photo of my 2009 GMC Sierra SLT with the Stock Steering Wheel, the Goal is to Install a Heated Steering Wheel from a 2009 GMC Sierra Denali which Features Heat.

DSC00525.jpg

1. Open the Hood, and Disconnect the Battery. Once Disconnecting the Battery Wait 15 Minutes to Let the Electrical System Completely Drain.

DSC00526.jpg

2. After performing the 1st Step, Remove the Airbag. You will need to find a small tool which can fit straight into the holes on each side of the Steering Wheel Shroud. There is a Clip in there which needs to be depressed which will release the Airbag. Once you have released the Airbag, pull it away from the Steering Wheel and there will be 2 Plugs which you will need to unplug. They are color coated so you can't confuse them. Take the Airbag and set it somewhere out of the way with the logo facing up. Your Steering Wheel will then look like this.

DSC00527.jpg

3. Remove and Set Aside the Nut which holds the Steering Wheel onto the Steering Column. Then Take Out Your Steering Wheel Puller...

DSC00528.jpg

4. Once the Steering Wheel is Loose, Carefully Pull it Away from the Column and you will need to Unplug the Harness which runs from the Steering Wheel into the SIR Coil. After this Remove the Wheel and Set Aside.

DSC00529.jpg

5. You will now be ready to remove the Tilt Lever and Steering Column Covers. You will need to pull firmly on the Steering Column Tilt Lever and it will eventually pull away from the Column.

DSC00530.jpg

6. You will now need to Remove the Steering Column Covers...there is an Upper and Lower Half to this....basically you will need to be careful when doing so...I used a very small screwdriver to kinda work them apart, and eventually the come apart. Remember that if you are going to be using that small screwdriver, don't go prying on areas that you will see when everything is reassembled. I started in the area of the SIR Coil and worked my way from there.

DSC00533.jpg

7. After the Column Covers are removed, you will then need to remove the SIR Coil. There is a Snap Ring that does have to come off first. Remove and set aside the Snap Ring, then unplug the harness which runs into the backside of the SIR Coil and you can then pull it off the Steering Shaft.

DSC00531.jpg

8. Once the SIR Coil is removed from the shaft, you will then need to cut a few of the Zip Ties which hold the SIR Coil to the Steering Column harness. Please be sure to note the location of those Zip Ties as you will be replacing them shortly on the Re-Install. Then trace your wiring over to the Driver Side Kickplate, above the Hood Latch and you will see the Yellow 4 Pin Plug. This is where the SIR Coil Plugs into, unplug this and remove the SIR Coil from your truck. I found this step was easier to perform by removing the driver side knee bolster.

9. It is now time to Re-Install your New GM SIR Coil from a Sierra Denali...Folks, buy a New Coil...they are like $90 bucks, but since they have never been installed, they come with the orange alignment tab which locks them into place, until you break the tab once the SIR Coil is installed. This helps to insure a trouble free installation for the SIR Coil because it will be aligned properly.

DSC00535.jpg

10. Once you have Installed the New SIR Coil and have Re-Installed the Snap Ring, break the Orange Alignment Tab...it will just simply snap off, and now the internals of the Coil will be able to move with the Steering Column as designed. Now is also the time to Plug in the SIR Coil into the Steering Column Harness, Route/Zip Tie Your Wires, and also Re-Connect the Yellow 4 Pin Plug down by the Driver Side Kickplate.

11. The Heated Steering Wheel Plug...you will notice with this Coil that it has a 2 Pin Plug on each end. These Green Plugs are for the SIR Coil and carry the Power and Ground for the Heat Feature in the Wheel. This is what is different from that of the Standard Coil, and is why you have to replace it for the Heated Wheel. For the "Truck" End, I simply found a mating 2 pin plug, and then made my own harness with a power and ground wire. I did this so if we ever need to service anything on the steering column we can simply unplug the wires if need be.

DSC00536.jpg

12. I then found a good grounding location, which I used a bracket in the dash which also is where the Rearview Camera System Grounds.

DSC00538.jpg

13. I then went to the Electrical Center upon the Firewall to the left of the Brake Pedal. I removed the cover and found a couple open terminals and chose one, with a switched power source which will only let this Heated Steering Wheel work when the Key is in the "Run" position.

DSC00541.jpg

14. It was now time to Re-Install the Driver Side Knee Bolster as I had completed hooking up everything, and tucked all my wires away as if they were factory installed. Also Re-Install Your Steering Column Covers.

DSC00539.jpg

15. The Next Process is to mount your heated steering wheel. Make sure to plug that Steering Wheel harness back into the SIR Coil and then align your steering wheel and press it into the splined shaft. Once this is completed, hook up the 2 Green Plugs...1 from the SIR Coil and 1 from the Steering Wheel. Also Re-Install and Tighten the Steering Wheel Nut.

16. Reinstall Your Airbag at this time, again please remember to use caution when working near the Airbag.

17. Once you have double checked your work, and are confident in a job well done, re-connect your battery.

18. Start your truck and verify all Steering Wheel Functions. Audio Controls, Power to the Cruise Control Button, and also Check out the New Heated Steering Wheel Button and Verify Operation of the Heated Wheel. Also upon start up, make sure your Airbag Light flashes a few times and then goes away. This means the system check is complete.

DSC00542.jpg

19. Enjoy Your New Sierra Denali Heated Steering Wheel!

DSC00540.jpg

I hope this helps those of you that are wanting to do the project. I have done this on my 2007 and 2009, each truck required the same process! Any Questions Let Me Know!

Excellent guide and instructions!

I have a 2007 Yukon Denali, if I wanted to do this would I just need a new SIR Coil and switch pack?.....is my woodgrain Denali wheel OK?

I made the Mod to my '07 Silverado and love it, been driving it now for 2 weeks. The Woodgrain on the wheel is a shade darker than the rest of the fake wood in the truck, and I kind of like it that way. I would prefer it was all leather, but having a heated wheel with fake plastic wood grain on it is nicer than not having a heated wheel. I guess I got too spoiled with our BMW and the heated wheel. I also took the silver/pewter side covers off the Denali wheel and put the all black ones from my Silverado on it.

Steve

Two questions:

Does the heated wheel turn on with remote start after this mod is performed to a non-Denali?

Does the heated wheel turn on with remote start in a factory installed heated wheel Denali optioned truck?

No and No...as far as I am aware...checked this out back in 07 when I installed the one in my 2007 Truck.