How-To: Heated Steering Wheel Install GMT900 Sierra.

Trav_13

I got a quote from my local dealer and it was $636.85 for the wheel and $228.75 for the clock spring. With the pigtail etc, It'll cost me more than $900 to do this little mod! That sucks. I don't know why my parts quote was so high. It's probably because I live in Canada. We seem to get charged double for all that stuff. Anyway, unless I can find a cheaper source for the parts looks like I'll have another winter of cold hands ahead of me. :tear:

Wow thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I live in Winnipeg. It's too bad gmpartsdirect didn't have their sh*t together because I would just order through them. They seem to have much better prices but their customer service seems awful.

But again thanks for the offer. It's good to see there are people out there looking to help out fellow gm truck nuts!

No prob. I'm sure there are ways for you to order from a dealership state side and pay them to ship it to you.

I think the key to gmpartsdirect is that if the price looks way too cheap, it's probably not the right part. That or someone did as mentioned in a previous post and returned their stock wheel in place of the heated which in turn got sold to me and I'm the one who got shafted.

STILLLLLLLLLLLLLL waiting for the pigtail to come in from SSCONNECTORS not too pleased with their shipping or customer service. there's no phone number to call only an email. I've sent them several emails now and still have yet to hear anything back. I ordered it on the 9th and got a "payment received part will ship out soon" email on the 13th. and have yet to see anything....... and more than 900 dollars is freaking insane just for parts!!!!!!

gave up on the pigtail. fighting that with paypal, i made my own with a quick disconnect so should i want to remove it it's still there. don't have any pictures yet but it works 100%. the only thing i wish i knew is what the open terminals are supposed to be for on the little distribution center under the dash. that's where i got the switched power for but i'd like to know what i'm tapped into ya know?? if anyone has any info on that i'd love to know. i'll try to get pictures soon.

• 1 month later...

it is missing the plug you need for the heat in stepp 11. this is on the back side of the clock spring and is not depicted. also take note of the new green plug on the new spring in step 14 that is not on the other clock spring.

here is a caddy wheel:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CADILLAC-ESCALADE-ESV-EXT-GMC-YUKON-DENALI-SIERRA-HEATED-LEATHER-STEERING-WHEEL-/221144686450?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item337d401f72&vxp=mtr#ht_54wt_1027

• 2 weeks later...

Same for the pigtail connector to hard wire to the vehicle purchased from ssconnectors.com part number: 60296271(ssconnectors part number).

62a8a338-5f96-50d6.jpg

SS Conectors doesnt show that part number... Im not good at making new pigtails so whats my best option...

Btw, anyone looking for a clock spring that is needed in conjunction with the heated wheel, I got a brand new, never used, still in the box, that I'll sell with the pigtail connector from ssconnectors. $100 shipped via USPS ground sound fair? Let me know or PM me. Pics of it are in my previous post. (about 5 posts or so ago.)

Do you still have this?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just finished this update last night on my 2011 Avalanche. I took the more direct approach and ordered the wheel, clock spring and steering column harness. Took me just over an hour from start to finish but I had done a steering wheel swap on my 2006 Corvette before so I knew what to expect. The write-up is definitely a plus for those that might not be as comfortable with this swap. Routing the new steering column harness took the most time as a few of the connections are buried below the dash and not the easiest to get too.

Tried it out this morning and it works like a champ. Just in time for our near zero weather and 5-7" of snow scheduled for Sat/Sun!

Was trying for the life of me to get this to trigger with the remote start / heated seats but the control modules for that functionality make it really difficult. Would need some decent logic to allow you to turn it off when the seats are on and vice versa. Pushing the button when I get in isn't that hard and not worth the extra effort.

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!!!

I have all the parts now (from ebay, gmpartsdirect, and ssconnectors), but I have a couple questions for people who have done the install.

First: On the new wires for the heated portion, how do I know which of the wires is ground and which one is power?

Second: How important is the placement of the zip ties after the putting the clock spring on?

Hopefully I'll be getting this done tomorrow!

THANK YOU FOR ALL THE INFORMATION!!!

I have all the parts now (from ebay, gmpartsdirect, and ssconnectors), but I have a couple questions for people who have done the install.

First: On the new wires for the heated portion, how do I know which of the wires is ground and which one is power?

Second: How important is the placement of the zip ties after the putting the clock spring on?

Hopefully I'll be getting this done tomorrow!

I answered my own questions. The leads from the new coil are color coded. There is always a fuse inline with the positive lead. I was just confused because the short harness I bought from ssconnectors did not have color coded wires.

Some other pointers now that I did the install:

1) Move your power seats all the way back before disconnecting the batteries!

2) Practice releasing the airbag on your new wheel which you can see the internals, it will give you a better idea what to do on your installed wheel.

3) Get a snap ring removal tool (I feel like removing the snap ring took 30% of my install time).

4) Get a snap ring removal tool.

Also one other thing to note for people thinking about doing this mod. My original wheel had cruise control buttons only, and the button backlights were blueish. With the new wheel I put on (I think it came out of an Escalade) the button backlights are all white. I don't really give a %$, but I know some people might sweat that small stuff.

Thanks again for all the info provided by the members in this thread!

Heated wheel on with remote start would be nice. However, the wheel does heat up very fast after pressing the on/off button. Seems like only after 10 seconds and its already warm on my truck.

I agree. It does come on fast. I just like a challenge and wanted to see if I could figure it out but there are one too many logic boxes between the BCM and the seats / door switches to make it worth my time. Installed it just in time for the big snowfall to hit and have been enjoying it daily!