How-To: Heated Steering Wheel Install GMT900 Sierra.

Trav_13

Was trying for the life of me to get this to trigger with the remote start / heated seats but the control modules for that functionality make it really difficult. Would need some decent logic to allow you to turn it off when the seats are on and vice versa. Pushing the button when I get in isn't that hard and not worth the extra effort.

Have you worked on this any more?

If the switch on the steering wheel stays "ON" after the truck is shut off, could a wire with a diode from the heated seats be spliced in?

I guess I need to determine if the switch stays "ON" and figure out which wire from the heated seats needs to be used.

No need to pull your steering wheel. In the pictures you posted look for the light green connector with two wires; one brown and one black. The brown one is the one you want. The fuse is about 4" from the male light green connector. Check the top picture, it's the black box taped to the wires from the light green connector. Your light green connector will be taped to the harness that goes up the column. Your fuse may look different than what's pictured since you have an older truck.

Great, thanks. I'll dig around

I finished the install today, trouble free, thanks to Travis's #1 post.

I did not care for the look of the woodgrain/ebony wheel even tho I have an ebony interior.

I found a woodgrain/cashmere wheel (part number 22947811)on ebay and liked it's look with woodgrain better than woodgrain/ebony. Had I known there was an all leather version in cashmere (part number 22947769),I would have held out for one. I did know there was an ebony all leather version, but did not find any on ebay. All I was finding were woodgrain/ebony. When I found the woodgrain/cashmere, I bought it.

SIR coil (part number 25966964) also came from ebay.

For the pigtail from the light green two wire connector (column side of the SIR coil) I found a black connector in the junkyard. The only difference was the slot for the rib opposite the lock on the SIR coil's connector was in a different place (bottom corner). I could either remove the rib from the Sir coil's light green connector or cut a new slot in the black junkyard connector. Since I may at a later date get the correct light green connector, I cut a slot in the black junkyard connector. The connector cost $1 and time spent finding it and cutting it out.

The only tips I can add, in addition to what's already posted are:

1) There are connector locks on the airbag connectors. The locks need to be released and pulled up about 1/16", then there are two serrated release tabs you have to squeeze on the connector to allow it to disconnect.

2) Tilt the wheel all the way down before pulling the tilt handle and the two piece column trim covers.

3) Do all the under the dash wiring before you reinstall the steering wheel, makes for lots more room.

4) Install the steering column trim before you install the lower dash trim.

Another post mentioned the backlight color of the buttons were white and did not match the rest of the truck's buttons. My buttons DO match the the other buttons in my truck, a bluish color. Maybe that's why the part numbers changed?

Too late to edit this post, part number 22947811 is Woodgrain/Cocoa, NOT Woodgrain/Cashmere. Cocoa is much darker than Cashmere.

Anyone know if an all leather heated wheel was made in Cocoa?

Since 22947767 = ebony, 22947768 = titanium, and 22947769 = cashmere I played with the part number and found 22947765 comes back as F-Wheel-GM; no image available. As do the other three part numbers.

Too late to edit this post, part number 22947811 is Woodgrain/Cocoa, NOT Woodgrain/Cashmere. Cocoa is much darker than Cashmere.

Anyone know if an all leather heated wheel was made in Cocoa?

Since 22947767 = ebony, 22947768 = titanium, and 22947769 = cashmere I played with the part number and found 22947765 comes back as F-Wheel-GM; no image available. As do the other three part numbers.

I have a cocoa heated steering wheel in my denali!
  • Like 1

Has anyone been successful adding a heated wheel to a 2013 sierra or silverado with different airbag? Looking to do this to my 2013 but want to verify it will work before purchasing.

Looking to use the 22911594 clockspring which looks to be from a 2013 Avalanche black diamond edition, looks like any heated wheel will work.

Musselman you are correct the clockspring part # 22911594.is for the 2013 sierra/silverado. I just finished my installation in a 2013 GMC SLT.

Thanks for confirming, I will get the parts ordered and report back on how the install went. Can't wait to have warm hands, gets cold here in Canada!

Hi, new to the forum. I have an 09 Sierra Slt cc and was interested in doing the heated steering wheel swap. Does the heated steering work with the remote start if i use the proper harness, since ss connecters are no longer available? Also cant seem to find any pictures or anyone selling the steering wheel with part number 22947767 (ebony, heated, w/o wood grain). I contacted gm parts direct but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

Hi, new to the forum. I have an 09 Sierra Slt cc and was interested in doing the heated steering wheel swap. Does the heated steering work with the remote start if i use the proper harness, since ss connecters are no longer available? Also cant seem to find any pictures or anyone selling the steering wheel with part number 22947767 (ebony, heated, w/o wood grain). I contacted gm parts direct but they haven't gotten back to me yet.

I don't think it will come on with remote start unless you do some custom wiring. On my buddies Denali it does not come on with remote start but it heats up pretty fast.

Thanks for the response. I wasn't sure if trucks with heated steering wheels from the factory turned on with the remote start. Gm Parts Direct got back to me already and here's what they wrote:

"Here is the information requested:

22947767 Steering wheel; ebony (black) in color with heater control module. 2014 Silverado/Sierra. CRUISE CONTROL, LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL, STEERING WHEEL ACCESSORY CONTROLS, HEATED STEERING WHEEL SWITCH, CHEVROLET, G M C,

To insure that we supply the correct part number requested, I would like to request the VIN from a vehicle manufactured with the part requested. Once I enter the VIN into the license GM parts catalog, the VIN will be decoded and will display only the parts that are correct for the VIN supplied."

I find it strange how they say its for a 2014? The 2014 wheel is completely different.... Should be 07-13. So are they wrong or is the part number wrong? I never thought it would be so hard to get a part number lol. I will order the wheel new from the dealer since i know a few techs but i hate going in and having the parts guy give me the deer in the headlights look when i don't have the part number. Through more research i found out that the 2014 tahoe has the same interior as the upgraded on 07-13 nnbs trucks. The '14 tahoe has a heated steering wheel as standard on all ltz models and most lt models have it as well. Also confirmed this by going through kijiji classifieds.

http://www.chevrolet.com/2014-tahoe-full-size-suv/specs/trims.html

Musselman nice truck you got! Buddy of mine has one just like that.

I have not figured out how to have the heated wheel come on with remote start.

If you leave the heated wheel switch ON when shutting OFF the truck, it's OFF when the truck is restarted.

Constant voltage to the buttons (not sure which wire) MIGHT work IF the 12 volt "heat" wire becomes "hot" upon remote start, AND the wheel heat button was left ON.

I am not sure if constant voltage to the buttons would make other problems, such as shorten button life or battery run down.

I can supply a connector for the dash side of the SIR Coil/Clockspring. Check the FOR SALE section.

I am trying to source a connector for the junction box to be able to offer a "plug and play" harness from the SIR Coil to the Junction Box.

If you leave the heated wheel switch ON when shutting OFF the truck, it's OFF when the truck is restarted.

Constant voltage to the buttons (not sure which wire) MIGHT work IF the 12 volt "heat" wire becomes "hot" upon remote start, AND the wheel heat button was left ON.

I am not sure if constant voltage to the buttons would make other problems, such as shorten button life or battery run down.

I can supply a connector for the dash side of the SIR Coil/Clockspring. Check the FOR SALE section.

I am trying to source a connector for the junction box to be able to offer a "plug and play" harness from the SIR Coil to the Junction Box.

• Like 1