Automatic Car Wash Question

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 sydscrew

sydscrew

Enthusiast

• 26 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:42 PM

About a month ago I bought a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4x4. I am wondering if this truck can go through the local Car Wash without any problems. I would asume that I would have to fold in the Trailer Tow Mirrors flat to the driver and passenger glass, but will the LT265/70R17 tires have trouble fitting inside the guide rails? Otherwise, I will have to either find a touchless car wash or do it myself in the driveway when the nicer weather comes back next spring. I have the Carbon Black Metallic paint and it really shows the dirt.

Do you guys use a commercial car wash or not?

Thanks

#2 VMax2007

VMax2007

I'm not always RIGHT, but I am never WRONG!

• Banned
  • 19,745 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 03:44 PM

Depends on the car wash of course, but I have never had an issue with my 285/65R18 Nitto Terra Grapplers.

Posted Image

2007 GMC Sierra SLT

#3 5-0stank

5-0stank

Enthusiast

• 209 posts

Posted 05 December 2009 - 06:39 PM

I normally don't take my truck to any automated car washes. I do it in the driveway when its warm, or when its cold, like it is now (about 5" of snow in my backyard lol), I go to a heated, spray-it-yourself car wash about 10 min down the road.
2009 2500HD 4x4 6.0 :: Leveled, GMC 17"s, 295/70R17 Nitto Terra Grapplers
1994 Mustang GT :: 5.3/4L80E swap project

#4 markw8

markw8

Enthusiast

• 873 posts

Posted 06 December 2009 - 11:57 PM

I actually found I could get my 08 CC LB dually in the no-touch car wash near me. I drive as far into the stop - light as I can and don't even have to fold the mirrors. But it better be in the center.

Mark.

#5 sydscrew

sydscrew

Enthusiast

• 26 posts

Posted 07 December 2009 - 07:41 PM

Thanks guys. We have both types of car wash places here. The closest to me is a "touchless" one. Markw8 if you have no trouble getting your dually in I should be ok.

#6 99chevy7.4L

99chevy7.4L

Enthusiast

• 421 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 11:08 AM

About two weeks ago I went to a car wash that advertised large vehicles fit. I pull in with CCLB and the attendent came out "IT WON"T FIT". I was like you say large vehicles fit....his reply "NOT THAT BIG" So I left. I know 9 times out of 10 it won't fit in automatic car washes. But I thought what the hell I'll try it. NO GO!
7.4L vortec, Airaid Cold Air Intake, EFI-Live, LS1 injectors, Derale Cooling tube pan, Bilstein shocks, Magnaflow 2.5inch Dual IN/OUT

Posted Image

#7 cvandegna

cvandegna

Enthusiast

• 152 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 01:29 PM

I had one of those automated carriage type washes (where the truck stays still) that thought the cab was the end of the truck and the arms came crashing in and creased both sides of my bed. I only go self spray when I don't feel like dragging out the pressure washer.
2004 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew SLT 4x4 6.0L 4L80E 4.10
6" ProComp lift w/MX6 adjustable shocks & add-a-leaf
315/75R16 Nitto TerraGrapplers on 16x10 American Eagle 109s
N-Fab Nerf-Steps, RanchHand Bullnose, pair Hella 100W Xeon

#8 Shaners

Shaners

LD/HD Moderator

• Senior Moderator
  • 8,930 posts

Posted 09 December 2009 - 02:42 PM

My CCSB fits in the laser wash touchless with no problem.

2013 Avalanche LTZ. White Diamond Tricoat paint w/Ebony leather. (mine)

2005 BMW 645Ci convertible w/only 21k miles

2013 Ford C-Max SEL Hybrid (hers)

Please PM me if you have any questions or concerns.

#9 Travis E

Travis E

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 12:19 AM

About a month ago I bought a 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crew Cab SLT 4x4. I am wondering if this truck can go through the local Car Wash without any problems. I would asume that I would have to fold in the Trailer Tow Mirrors flat to the driver and passenger glass, but will the LT265/70R17 tires have trouble fitting inside the guide rails? Otherwise, I will have to either find a touchless car wash or do it myself in the driveway when the nicer weather comes back next spring. I have the Carbon Black Metallic paint and it really shows the dirt.

Thanks

That truck will fir into most inbay automatics and tunnels. I own 2 of them and both my last truck 2004HD with 285s and my current truck a 09 2500hd fit without any problems. Matter of fact my 2004 was washed 347 times in one day. It was the test vehicle when wash was installed.

#10 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 02:57 PM

Thanks

That truck will fir into most inbay automatics and tunnels. I own 2 of them and both my last truck 2004HD with 285s and my current truck a 09 2500hd fit without any problems. Matter of fact my 2004 was washed 347 times in one day. It was the test vehicle when wash was installed.

Bet you had that dreaded on-star antenna leak! :jester: J/K 347 times x how much wax it got x how well it was sprayed underside (biggest thing that you miss when washing your truck by hand) x the thin sheetmetal roof and hood bending in and out from the blower fans, = ???
Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#11 Travis E

Travis E

Enthusiast

• 4 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 03:51 PM

Thanks

Bet you had that dreaded on-star antenna leak! :jester: J/K 347 times x how much wax it got x how well it was sprayed underside (biggest thing that you miss when washing your truck by hand) x the thin sheetmetal roof and hood bending in and out from the blower fans, = ???

No the antenna never leaked. The chevy emblem started peeling off of the front grill. The hood does flex in with the dryers but it pops right back out. The 09 is a lot worse on flexing that the 04 was. Undercar wash was on for all those washes. and a coat of clearcoat protectant every time also. It was a while before mud would even stick to it.

#12 coloradoSkiCountry

coloradoSkiCountry

Senior Enthusiast

• Banned
  • 2,138 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:49 PM

[/quote]
No the antenna never leaked. The chevy emblem started peeling off of the front grill. The hood does flex in with the dryers but it pops right back out. The 09 is a lot worse on flexing that the 04 was. Undercar wash was on for all those washes. and a coat of clearcoat protectant every time also. It was a while before mud would even stick to it.
[/quote]

Your telling me. I'm noticing considerable flex in the hood on my new 08 2500, just going over small bumps. Can they make the metal any thinner? good grief..
Posted Image

GM- Simply the best, and saying "To Hell with the rest!"

#13 ddbck

ddbck

Enthusiast

• 27 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 02:23 PM

I have 315/70/17 tires and go through the 2 automatic car washes we have with no problems, they fit in the rail guide system.
Posted Image
2003 SILVERADO 2500HD, ALLISON TRANSMISSION
8.1L GASSER, DROP-IN K&N, BLACKBEAR TUNE
6" RCD LIFT, HELO MAXX 8, 315/70/17 BFG's

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Advertise Here