Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shatterz

Lots Of Blue Smoke On Cold Start

When I started my truck this morning ( temp was about 31 deg.) I was treated a rather large cloud of blue smoke, I'm talking enough smoke that it lingered around for about 5 minutes. This is the first time since I bought it in April that I've seen this. Truck has not used any oil up until now. Oil has been changed once at 2100 miles and I'm using Mobil-1 5W-30. I've now got 3500 miles on it and no other motor issues to report.

Anyone know of any TSBs the 6.0 Ly6 related to blue smoke at startup, or what might be the culprit here? This has me a bit concerned. We've got a couple of Ford 5.4 at work that smoke like freight trains on a cold start, but that is excusable becuase after all that whole family of engines is shit. But I've never seen an LSX engine smoke like this.

Not heard of any issues. Maybe a cloud of moisture because it was cold :eek:

Moisture vapor dissipates quickly and doesn't hang around like oil smoke.

DEWFPO

.. no personal experience on this one, but I have been hearing about this in discussion forums lately

.. seems that MAYBE some valve guide seals are leaking ... oil then drips down into the affected cylinder into the combustion chamber when the truck is sitting ... and then when you start the engine the oil burns up and smokes a bit.... or a lot

.. typical in old VW and Toyota overhead cam engines with lots of miles on them ... but not so typical in the newer GM v8's

Yup seems to be a new issue now with the new trucks. See the non-HD forum a few people have complained about this already.. Oye. Not good.

my 86 had a bad valve guide and would do the same thing.

Smoke a little on start up then it would stop once warm. Lame

definitely odd, my truck has almost 35K miles on it & has never done that or burned a drop of oil...any new noises at first start up? sounds like a dealer trip is in order...

Truck smoked on start up only one other time since last week, (the day after I posted) Since then everything as been fine, no issues, no noises and no smoke (I've been using the remote start every time so I can stand behind the truck and watch for anything) I would have liked to have known the reason behind the smoke but I am glad it has stopped . Oh well just one of those unexplainables.

• Popular Now

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.