2000 Chevy Silverado Vibration @ 25 And 60 Mph

I have a vibration that is driving me crazy at 25 and 60 mph that seems to go away at other speeds. the truck is an 2000 chevrolet 1500 Silverado Z71 with 197,000 miles. I have had the tires balanced at two different places and rotated which does not seem to effect the vibration at all. I changed the front and rear differential flud with what was recommended in the owners manual. Also changed the transfer case fluid none of these seemed to help. I checked the U-joints and there is no obvious play, has anyone ever had a u-joint go bad without any signs causing a vibration. I do not want to just start throwing parts at this which gets very expensive in a hurry. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a vibration that is driving me crazy at 25 and 60 mph that seems to go away at other speeds. the truck is an 2000 chevrolet 1500 Silverado Z71 with 197,000 miles. I have had the tires balanced at two different places and rotated which does not seem to effect the vibration at all. I changed the front and rear differential flud with what was recommended in the owners manual. Also changed the transfer case fluid none of these seemed to help. I checked the U-joints and there is no obvious play, has anyone ever had a u-joint go bad without any signs causing a vibration. I do not want to just start throwing parts at this which gets very expensive in a hurry. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

If the vibration can be felt and is constant at say 45mph does it change any if you put it in neutral at that speed?

If the vibration can be felt and is constant at say 45mph does it change any if you put it in neutral at that speed?

The best I can tell the vibration is still there if I put it in nuetral.

your tires shot? got enough pressure? your suspension been through the ringer? is there a small child stuck between the driveshaft? is your driveshaft out of balance?

Tires have less then 20,000 miles on them and they are in good shape, pressure is good, suspension feels tight and I did not see any small children in the driveshaft. As for the driveshaft being out of balance I don't know, I have not done anything lately that I know of that should have effected its balance.

your tires shot? got enough pressure? your suspension been through the ringer? is there a small child stuck between the driveshaft? is your driveshaft out of balance?

Tires have less then 20,000 miles on them and they are in good shape, pressure is good, suspension feels tight and I did not see any small children in the driveshaft. As for the driveshaft being out of balance I don't know, I have not done anything lately that I know of that should have effected its balance.

If it's the same in neutral you can forget drive shaft and u-joints. Those change with load, well every vibration changes with load it just depends on the load in question. The load is placed on the shaft and joints when in gear and accelerating or downshifting. If it doesnt' change in neutral that isn't your issue. You are looking for something that has constant load even in neutral, tires, rims, bearings etc.

Just because you don't feel an issue with a bearing doesn't mean there isn't an issue. If it has excessive runout you are going to feel a vibration when you put it to the road. Same with a bad tire, you can balance it all day on a normal balancer but if it has runout you are going to get a vibration when you put it to the road. Try getting a balance at a place that has a road force variation balancer. It's quite a bit more expensive but it will point to every flaw in a tire wheel combo becuause it sees what happens when wheel is put to road, not just how much a weight differential there is from one side to the other while in free motion.

I was going to tell you to check the drivshaft but you say it happens at 25 mph so it cant be the shaft, shafts will start viberating at about 40 mph on up and get worse as speed increases. Driveshaft can sling off a weight sometimes. Is it felt in the steering wheel? Even though the tires have less them 20,000 miles on them they still could be defective as in a small bubble in the tread (this wont be picked up when balancing). You could try jacking up the truck with the tires very lightly touching the ground and spin the tire by hand and see if the tire gets to a spot where it makes hard or no contact with the ground this will tell you alot about the tire roundness.

I see sparkstech beat me to the tire issue, took me awhile to type this. :)

I was going to tell you to check the drivshaft but you say it happens at 25 mph so it cant be the shaft, shafts will start viberating at about 40 mph on up and get worse as speed increases. Driveshaft can sling off a weight sometimes. Is it felt in the steering wheel? Even though the tires have less them 20,000 miles on them they still could be defective as in a small bubble in the tread (this wont be picked up when balancing). You could try jacking up the truck with the tires very lightly touching the ground and spin the tire by hand and see if the tire gets to a spot where it makes hard or no contact with the ground this will tell you alot about the tire roundness.

I see sparkstech beat me to the tire issue, took me awhile to type this. :)

I looked at the drivshaft, the U-joints seem tight and I can see a balance weight attached and cannot see anywhere there is a clean spot like one is missing. I will try to jack it up and spin the tires like you recommended.

Your vibration is going thru resonant "criticals" when the vibration can be felt at the two different speeds. If it can't be felt by just running the engine at similar rpms, it's driveline or wheel-tire related. Engine vibrations can happen when the flexplate looses a weight similar to the driveshaft.

If it's a 4wd, you can pull the front driveshaft and drive it, it's still sealed at the transfer case. If it goes away, you know the problem area.

Your vibration is going thru resonant "criticals" when the vibration can be felt at the two different speeds. If it can't be felt by just running the engine at similar rpms, it's driveline or wheel-tire related. Engine vibrations can happen when the flexplate looses a weight similar to the driveshaft.

If it's a 4wd, you can pull the front driveshaft and drive it, it's still sealed at the transfer case. If it goes away, you know the problem area.

If I put the engine in nuetral and I rev up the engine I do not feel any vibrations. The U-joints feel tight and I can see the weight on the driveshaft. I am going to try to see if I can tell if the tires are out of round by spinning them near the ground. what else on the driveline could it be? Could the transmission be causing this? I pulled the fwd driveshaft the other day which did not make the vibration go away. I am running out of ideas.

Given that you're running out of ideas, I'd pull the rear driveshaft and take it to a driveshaft shop. They can check it for straightness and balance it. Put new u-joints in while you're at it.

Maybe you can check the rear pinion backlash and bearing (by hand) when you have the driveshaft out. It's a longshot, but I've known of a pinion nut to back off and pinion bearings to go bad. They'll make some noise, but usually it's easily identifyable.

Archived