5.3 Afm And Oil Consumption

This is just great....I beat a blazer every day to keep the miles off of the 2013 so it can stay nice and new.... So now I need to drive the damn thing to see if I will have a problem with the AFM/oil consumption issues before the warranty runs out...UFB....

So, I have read through the numerous posts and threads but have not seen anything on the 2014 and newer models(or I just missed it). Is it safe to say that they do not have the issues and/or do not have the AFM feature? Maybe its time to trade the 2013 in....

Andy

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, First I would like to thank all of you for the 5 pages of info related to the oil concerns.

Hasn't been a lot of activity here for awhile but I thought I would tell my story.

Bought a loaded 2010 Silverado LTZ used with 90,000k's. Had no idea about the 5.3 oil

burner until I started adding 1L of oil every 1000k. Dropped into the dealer and was

placed on the oil management program, that's when I came to these types of sites to see what I was dealing with. Well after 4 trips to the dealer x 4 liters of oil in 4000k's

they took her off the road and replaced the bottom end, bearings, connecting rods,

Pistons and rings. I kept requesting lifters and a cam but they would only Pony up on

two push rods, two rocker arms and I had to argue and won (big deal) two lifters to go with the rods and rockers. Before they put the old girl back together I made it clear

that if they would not change out the oil pump that at least tear in down and make sure its good, which they did. Well I have her back on the road with two years of extended

warranty left and I refused to go off the oil program because I'm sure the top end will need to be replaced before long as I stated to the dealer at the time. Over all the

service provided me by the dealer was top notch. The fact that only part of this repair

(bottom end)was addressed is my only concern. So I wait to see just what might be around the corner with this 5.3 motor. The rest of the truck is mighty fine.

Feel free to advise me on your thoughts Guys/Gals going forward.

Archived