Nbs Extended Cab, Cab Corner Rust

Ive seen many extended cab 99-02 or so trucks rust through the rockers and rear cab corners horribly. Doesn't seem regular cabs have the same results. What design flaw is allowing water to trap? I just figured these trucks wouldnt ever rust and it pains me to see some tore up. Of course some rust cause of salt and other because of dent or road rash. But I've seen a lot of these trucks that are MINT and yet the rockers and cab corners are falling apart.

Any ideas?

My understanding was that was fixed in 98' with drain holes. I have only seen 97' and prior with this problem, in MN.

hmm maybe all the ones ive seen then are just ones people have dented or rubbed the paint raw. idk but I see a lot of them. My old truck rclb never had rust at 130k miles. at least on the body. of course all frames get surface rust I just always hit it up with rustoleum flat black.

My old 99 extended cab silvy had rust on the rockers as well. I brought it in to a body shop several times two years ago for repairs...

It was mostly on the driver's side, towards the rear of the cab. The paint would start bubbling up, and in some places there was surface rust.

I'm wondering what caused the rust as well...

Dads 99 is really bad.

HPIM1005.jpg

HPIM1006.jpg

HPIM1007.jpg

He knows how to do paint and body work, but he hasn't got a chance to start on it yet because hes tight on money. Hes a Truck Driver and owns his own truck so most of his time and money go into keeping his truck running. I told him I would fix the rockers, and cut the bedsides right above the rust, fix that and then put some fender flares on to cover it up so it doesn't wave to you when you look at it. Flares are alot cheaper than bedsides. You can see the mounts for the tubular step that rusted away and fell off. He had to replace a gas tank strap too because it rusted through and broke.

Dads 99 is really bad.

He knows how to do paint and body work, but he hasn't got a chance to start on it yet because hes tight on money. Hes a Truck Driver and owns his own truck so most of his time and money go into keeping his truck running. I told him I would fix the rockers, and cut the bedsides right above the rust, fix that and then put some fender flares on to cover it up so it doesn't wave to you when you look at it. Flares are alot cheaper than bedsides. You can see the mounts for the tubular step that rusted away and fell off. He had to replace a gas tank strap too because it rusted through and broke.

Im starting to think the fact that some extended cabs are 3 DOOR and the extended portion without the door is trapping water.

The wheel arch rust is prob caused by not having interior liners in these trucks

Dads 99 is really bad.

Im starting to think the fact that some extended cabs are 3 DOOR and the extended portion without the door is trapping water.

The wheel arch rust is prob caused by not having interior liners in these trucks

I wouldn't doubt it. I know that stuff they spray on the roads in the winter doesn't help either. When spring gets here im going to hit anything I think needs covered with some undercoating on my truck.

Archived