Crank Position Relearn

Hello all, quick question:

A while back I was loking into getting a custom PCM tune for my 07' classic 2500HD 6.0. After some research I was discovered I would need a "crank position sensor relearn" done after installing the new pcm or else the truck would start throwing codes. I searched around my area but no one had the capability to do this except for the dealership, which would kind of defeat the purpose. Can anyone shed some more light on this subject, or better yet does anyone know were I can get some type of programmer/code reader so that I could do this my self. Thanks for any thoughts.

Hello all, quick question:

A while back I was loking into getting a custom PCM tune for my 07' classic 2500HD 6.0. After some research I was discovered I would need a "crank position sensor relearn" done after installing the new pcm or else the truck would start throwing codes. I searched around my area but no one had the capability to do this except for the dealership, which would kind of defeat the purpose. Can anyone shed some more light on this subject, or better yet does anyone know were I can get some type of programmer/code reader so that I could do this my self. Thanks for any thoughts.

A professional aftermarket scan tool such as OTC Genisys can do the proceedure. You might be able to pick one up on ebay if you don't want to buy new. A cheaper option would be to go to an independent shop and pay the fee for them to do the proceedure; it would be a lot cheaper than buying the tool.

Also some of the scan gauges have the capability, Scan Gauge II, AeroForce Interceptor. If you have one or know someone with one, they might be able to help. Also EFI Live and HP Tuners has the capability, so if there's anyone nearby with that, they too could help.

got my custom tune from Blackbear and I used the "cable option" where I hooked my laptop to the truck and created files to send to jason...anyway, he sent me a new computer with the performance tune and said that if I needed to do the crank relearn that the software he had send me could do the job from the laptop....

I never had any issue with the crank relearn so I did not need to do it....but it was nice to know I would not have to go to the dealership...

got my custom tune from Blackbear and I used the "cable option" where I hooked my laptop to the truck and created files to send to jason...anyway, he sent me a new computer with the performance tune and said that if I needed to do the crank relearn that the software he had send me could do the job from the laptop....

I never had any issue with the crank relearn so I did not need to do it....but it was nice to know I would not have to go to the dealership...

Great, thanks for the help everyone. HD CLASSIC how do you like your Black Bear tune so far?

I like it very much....I tried a Diablo tuner and returned it during the 30 day return period....other than compensating for wheel size change, I could not tell ay difference in performance of mpg or anything...

I got the Blackbear tune, had him give me the 87 octane tune and reset shift point in the tranny....immediately got back the power I lost from going to 17" wheels and it runs smoother and picked up over 1 mpg....not much but really did not expect anything...had it over a year and would do it again....

Archived