Best Tires

I am about to buy some new tires for my 03 2500hd 4x4. What is the best all terrain tire that last on these heavy trucks. Any help would be appreciated cause tires are not cheap and I don't want to pay $700-$800 for a set and they wear out after 20,000 miles. Thanks

Brent... you will likely end up with a long list of recommendations for tires...

.. my money will go on TOYO OPEN COUNTRY AT .... these are an excellent tire.. long wearing, relatively quiet (for a good AT tire)... good in a large range of road and off-road conditions

.. Mine are 1 1/2 years old now and I have no regrets ... looking forward to driving on these for a long time yet.

.. your original tires on that truck are likely 245/75R16 ... unless you had a larger tire size upgrade..

.. lots of debate on this forum about increase tire size and wheel rim diameter etc... but if you are looking to stay at stock or close you could get the 245's or even one size larger at 265/75R16

.. again lots of debate on tire load rating.... but I firmly believe that when you have a truck (particularly a 3/4T) you need to have truck tires (LT load ratings...) these are very stable tires for the times you haul a trailer or a heavy load

.. anyone that has reported here that they have had low mile life out of a TOYO AT, has been using the P-rated tires (and probably the wrong tire pressure) when they likely should have had LT-rated (D - 8ply) or (E - 10 ply) tires for the way they use their truck

.. whatever you get, do not go below the tire size and load rating recommended on your truck door post sticker... (or also in your users manual...)

.. good luck on these and let us know what you get.....

I'm going to give the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's a shot this month or next. I've only read good things about them in online reviews.

I'm done with the Mastercraft C/T's I have. They are too big a pain to keep balanced. They do provide excellent traction and wear well but I'm tired of having to balance at every tire rotation.

I'm going to give the Hankook Dynapro ATM RF10's a shot this month or next. I've only read go things about them in online reviews.

I'm done with the Mastercraft C/T's I have. They are too big a pain to keep balanced. They do provide excellent traction a wear well but I'm tired of having to balance at every tire rotation.

I highly recommend the Hankook Dynapro ATM's. I put them on my '07.5 3500HD 4x4 in Oct. '08. So far I put 26,000 miles on them, they have worn but not much. They ride nice, are quiet, and have GREAT traction. I am very happy with them especially for snowplowing. I was looking at Michelin and BFG, and the Hankooks were $50 cheaper per tire. I will buy them again next time.

My wife's uncle just put a set of Hankook AT's on his F250 and I thought about them. My Granddad told me about the Summit Trail Climber AT and said a guy he knew traveled from GA to FL with a huge welder on his truck and got the best mileage out of those tires. I have also thought about the General Grabber AT and the Toyo AT. I just wanted to get some opinions on people who have actually had some on their trucks. And thanks for the help for those who have replied.

I put stock size (LT245 75R16) Cooper Discoverer ATR on my truck. Good tire, I was able to get it in blackwall. One of the big selling points to me was that the tires are made in the USA!

Michelin LTX M/S are great tires but expensive. I had them on my '01 and they easily went over 60k miles. I have heard of people getting 100K miles of highway use out of them. I have the Bridgestone Duelar REVO's on this truck and wish that I had bought the Michelins instead. The REVOS look like they will easily go 50K miles but at 23K they have lost their balance and are getting noisy.

Just to mention I have 285/75/16 BF Goodrich ATs load range D on my truck now but those tires are too expensive and I have heard they don't last on these heavy trucks.

Who told you that??? They are known to normally run anywhere from 50-90k miles if rotated properly, BF Goodrich tires cost more for a reason, MADE IN THE USA is one of them plus their traction is outstanding. I have spent some time in the tire shops recently and saw some unhappy hankook customers with worn out tires and i would not put anything with the word TOY on my truck. :(

I'm running 265 Revo's (E's) on my HD and I really love them - I have just over 30k on them now and they are still above 1/2 tread. But checking out the prices of them now - I think I will be going to Cooper ATR's after the Revos wear out.

I put a set of ATR's on my wifes Pilot when it was brand new and she loves the tires.

My brother has good luck with toyo o/c at's on his truck and i Love my destination A/T's firestone or not.. and there rated really high on tire rack(2/77 A/T's).

DSC02497.jpgDSC02496.jpg

Said it a 100 times now, and I'll say it again. There may be better tires (not by much) but, for the price ($140 for 285's), warranty (60k), performance, and looks, its hard to beat the General Grabber AT2. I love mine, and I love that they're made in the USA.

06mobydickstatus--glad you posted about your Generals cause that was the tire I was really looking at since I have had them on my Toyota truck before I bought my HD. That is the tire that is on top of my list right now.

Archived