1991 Gmc K1500 Blows Ecm Fuse

dbrianson

Question

I have a 1991 Gmc sierra k1500 that constantly blows the ecm fuse sometimes as soon as i turn on the key, i pulled the fuel pump relay and its still blows. I changed the ecm module and it still blows, unhooked the oil pressure switch and it still blows. If i let it sit for awhile and plug in a new fuse it will crank and run for a long time, but if i start down the road it blows the fuse and dies, sometimes quickly and sometimes i can drive a few miles. i have looked over obvious wire and dont see anything but im about to set this thing on fire.

0 answers to this question

Check the starter enable wire for fraying...I believe its still purple on your truck. Its Obviously on the "crank" side of the circuit. Buy a Haynes manual and they will have the diagrams in the back.

Also check that its the right starter and solenoid for this truck. I have seen people remove the solenoid from an older or newer model starter and Frankenstein a starter together to make it work. I would be looking all around that general area.

Thanks, ill do that.

I would grab a wiring diagram and see where that wire ties in with everything. Sounds like you have a short in the crank position...look for a wire that goes to that fuse and in turn to the ECM that's hot only in the crank position.

I would grab a wiring diagram and see where that wire ties in with everything. Sounds like you have a short in the crank position...look for a wire that goes to that fuse and in turn to the ECM that's hot only in the crank position.

thanks, ill try to trace that out.

Check the starter enable wire for fraying...I believe its still purple on your truck. Its Obviously on the "crank" side of the circuit. Buy a Haynes manual and they will have the diagrams in the back.

Also check that its the right starter and solenoid for this truck. I have seen people remove the solenoid from an older or newer model starter and Frankenstein a starter together to make it work. I would be looking all around that general area.

Archived