Fogging Up

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do you have the button set to pull in outside air? On the HVAC control, there is a button with an arrow pointing in, to pull fresh air in.

I've never had any problems.

From my experience if you have the selector knob on windshield defrost or windshield defrost/feet the AC will turn on periodically. Of course the AC light will not light up, but it still turns on and helps in the defrosting process. I notice this with my 2008 and it also happened in my '98.

We recently had a rain/ice storm move through and I had to haul the whole family for a bit w/ the temp in the 32* to 34* range. The windows fogged badly, and I had a heck of a time getting them to clear. Too much outside moisture, plus everyone breathing inside. On recirc, the A/C wouldn't kick on enough to dry the air out (I'm assuming due to the low outside temp). That's the only time I've had the issue. Otherwise, like everyone else said re: a/c, outside air and heat.

Run the HVAC system with a higher fan speed and adjust the temperature as needed. Also, do not direct the air flow to the floor as the melting snow will increase the humidity/fogging/condensation on the glass.

bbwb

I found that mine fogs up in auto mode during wet weather. So I just turn the defroster on and set the temp. I then adjust the fan to an appropriate level manually.

All these auto features really spoil you. Auto Headlights, Auto Climate and Auto 4wd. All very nice features but it is amazing how habit forming or destroying they are.

• 11 months later...

my '09 silverado has the haze/fog problem every 2-5 days while running the heat. i have to physically clean the windshield to clear it up. i like my truck, but to many small issues will have me trying another manufacturer in a couple of years. i really miss my 2000 ram, lol. it wouldn't get out of its own way, but it didn't have all of these issues and it was way more quiet inside the cab!

2010 Sierra Crew Cab here , fogs up with every combination of HVAC controls. Ends up icing in from the inside, once parked and it gets a chance to cool down. I had a 2004 Sierra and never had any issues at all. Is there anything other than what you guys mentioned?

I'd take it to the dealer. If you have it set to bring inside air in, and tried running AC heat, and nothing works, something is wrong.

Owners manual

Temperature Control: Turn clockwise or counterclockwise to increase or decrease the temperature inside the vehicle.

(Fan Control): Turn clockwise or counterclockwise to increase or decrease the fan speed. Turn the knob all the way counterclockwise to turn the front system off.

Air Delivery Mode Control: Turn clockwise or counterclockwise to change the direction of the airflow inside the vehicle. The knob can be positioned between two modes to select a combination of those modes.

Select from the following:

(Vent): Air is directed to the instrument panel outlets.

(Bi-Level): Air is divided between the instrument panel and floor outlets.

(Floor): Air is directed to the floor outlets, with some air directed to the windshield and side window outlets. In this mode, the system automatically selects outside air. Recirculation cannot be selected in floor mode.

(Defog): This mode clears the windows of fog or moisture. Air is directed to the windshield, floor outlets, and side window vents.

(Defrost): This mode removes fog or frost from the windshield more quickly. Air is directed to the windshield and the side window vents, with some air directed to the floor vents. The system automatically forces outside air into the vehicle. The recirculation mode cannot be selected in the defog or defrost mode. When either mode is selected, the system runs the air conditioning compressor, unless the outside temperature is close to freezing. Do not drive the vehicle until all the windows are clear.

(Outside Air): Press to turn the outside air mode on. An indicator light comes on to show that outside air is on. In this mode outside air circulates throughout the vehicle. The outside air mode can be used with all modes, but it cannot be used with the recirculation mode.

(Recirculation): Press to turn the recirculation mode on. An indicator light comes on to show that recirculation is on. This mode recirculates and helps to quickly cool the air inside the vehicle. It can be used to help prevent outside air and odors from entering the vehicle. The recirculation mode cannot be used with floor, defog or defrost modes. If recirculation is selected with one of these modes, the indicator light flashes three times and then turns off. While in recirculation mode the windows may fog when the weather is cold and damp. To clear the fog, select either the defog or defrost mode and increase the fan speed. The recirculation mode can be turned off by pressing the outside air button, or by turning off the ignition.

(Air Conditioning): Press to turn the air conditioning system on or off. An indicator light comes on to show that the air conditioning is on. The air conditioning can be selected in any mode as long as the fan switch is on.

The air conditioning system removes moisture from the air, so a small amount of water might drip under the vehicle while idling or after turning off the engine. This is normal.

Rear Window Defogger

For vehicles with a rear window defogger, a warming grid is used to remove fog from the rear window.

(Rear): Press to turn the rear window defogger on or off. An indicator light on the button comes on to show that the rear window defogger is on.

The rear window defogger only works when the ignition is in ON/RUN. The rear window defogger stays on for approximately 10 minutes after the button is pressed, unless the ignition is turned to ACC/ACCESSORY or LOCK/OFF. The defogger can also be turned off by turning off the engine.

If you use the system this way and there is still moisture there is a problem with the vehicle.

If you don't use it this way and you get moisture there is something wrong with you.

• 1 month later...
Ihave a 2010 silverado and was wondering if anyone is having any issues with there windows fogging up all the time even with heater on. thanks

I'm having the same issue with the windows in my 2010 Silverado as well. I've tried several different settings with the heating/cooling vents and nothing has helped. I've taken it back to the dealership once already and they replaced the window seals. There has been no change.

Archived